1998 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
BMW--NO OTHER
By lionel on 11/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Smooth,strong, silent ride;low maintenance.

A nice experience with my 740i
By the MB on 08/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car certified-pre-owned with 36k miles on it. It is a blast to drive and I get a lot of compliments on its styling from clients. I appreciate the fact that it can hold three car seats across in the rear. It has had two repairs in 12 months; new ventilation fan motor, new fuel injection o-rings. This would have totaled about $1,000 without the warranty. While this kind of thing seems typical, and is certainly not cheap, a used 740 has a great overall value proposition.

Absolutely Love It!!!
By beemerguy on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

I have owned several BMW's, but this is by far the nicest most pleasureable one to drive. Maintaining it is worth it since it has all the attributes of a sports car and the accomodations of a luxury sedan. Super for business or family.

my 740i
By rickter on 06/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

It is an awesome vehicle, but it costs to keep them going. I had the same problem with the "check taillight" alert. It is due to water getting in the rear light assembly. Costs about $300 to get both fixed. This car really scoots and is very fast and fun to drive. It's worth the $

too many problems
By johnfra on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

This is an absolutely incredible driving car, nothing can touch the BMW driving experience. However, as exceptional as this car is in driving and performance it's equally disappointing in it's reliability. My car has been in the shop for so many issues I can't recall them all. The majority of the problems were fixed under warranty but I had to have the radiator replaced,new suspension components, a complete new ignition system ( this one was especially fun since the car would not shut off with the key completely removed from the ignition,)along with just nagging problems.

Big Money Wasted
By timber on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Great performance car, but the electrical and mechanical expenses will nickel and dime you to death. Looks great and interior is fantastic, would not own another bmw, ever. Better have a large amount of money for the repair bills. Has been running about a grand every 3 months on my low mileage vehicle.. a 1998 with 30,000 miles.

Fun but not reliable
By AndrewR on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

This car is a lot of fun to drive. It performs like a sports car but has the roominess of a large luxury sedan. But, the reliability problems make it difficult to justify owning. It's almost at the point where I never know when I turn on the ignition whether the car is going to get me where I need to go. Everything from body mouldings that fall off while driving, two failed catalytic converters, a failed radiator, an airbag warning light that comes on intermittently, an intermittent warning that my rear bulbs are out, and on and on and on.

Nice Car
By SB on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Our experience with the car has been absolutely outstanding. No maintenance issues, and it drives like butter. i would recommend this car to anyone considering buying one. Until you've nailed the accelerator on a 740i you havent lived!!

1998 BMW 740i
By Jim T on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

I have been very disappointed with this car. I used to drive a 328 i and absolutely loved it. Excellent performance and exceptional reliability. I assumed upgrading to a 740i would be a wise move. Was I ever wrong! I've had this thing into the shop at least 4 different times in the past year. It also stranded my family hours from home after the water pump blew. Numerous electrical problems as well. Never EVER again will I buy a 7 series BMW .

The most unreliable car I've ever had
By Just say no to BMW on 06/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

This is the most unreliable car I've ever had. Too many problems to mentions. The biggest mistake!