1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
Will buy a third 7 Series
By Howard on 03/19/09 08:38 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

Big B' now has 120,000+ miles on it. It's the second 7 series I've owned. Great ride and performance! Pulled 24.6mpg running at 85 from Denver to KC last winter. Runs 16 -18mpg around town. No surprises with the owning costs - just budget ~$2500/year. Still cheaper than a new Honda Civic. A used 7 series is a bargain making up for the maintenance costs. I'll keep this '98 until the '09 series starts coming off leases in 2012 or thereabouts.

A maintenance nightmare
By toni p on 04/01/08 16:08 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has been like a beautiful woman with an evil heart. From the first year until the eighth year of ownership, it has been one "freakish" thing after another. Unbelievably, in the third year the engine went, a piston through the heart! Cat converters, AC, exhaust. Car is in shop for it's final repair, a blown gas tank! Another $2100 repair bill! Great driving, great looking classic, but I've had enough. Time to look at another brand! Did I just get a lemon or what?

A very expensive love affair
By Jay on 03/20/08 08:26 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I fell in love with this car as soon as I saw it and I bought it without thinking twice. Big mistake!! Don't get me wrong, I still love this car but it is not for an average joe like me. It costs a lot and costs a lot more more just to maintain it. Every now and again problems creep up and every problem cost me more than a grand to fix. It's the best ride ever if you can afford it.

BMW 750iL GREAT MACHINE!
By Danie Erasmus on 03/14/08 06:41 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle four months ago and it is in a very good condition with 128,000 km on the clock. Only modification seems to be a performance exhaust system. The 250km/h top speed governer has certainly been disabled, and the car might have an added performance chip. Reason I am saying this - I recently took on a Porsche 911 Carrera on the highway, and the Porsche lost. The owner told me later that he was doing 280km/h at top end, so the Beemer must have been doing 300km/h plus - it is difficult to say exactly as the speedo is marked to 260km only. The car is very fast and a mighty performer, I rate it in the top echelons of motoring society, and I got it at a fraction of the price.

You have truly arrived
By JR on 02/06/08 22:42 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

Once you've owned a 7, You really have truly arrived. Realistically you're driving a very sophisticated luxury sedan that is supposed to be maintained to spec. BMW did not market this car to those who could not afford the maintenance costs. I find that the most reliable examples of any BMW I've looked at or talked to people about seem to be the ones that have been maintained correctly, this doesn't mean just oil changes, I'm talking following the full maintenance schedule. With the proper care and love these cars will treat you well. It demands respect when you pull up to a gathering and defiantly has a lot of presence. Do not let the E38's minor issues deter you from owning one.

1998 740iL
By 740ilDuke on 01/09/07 15:48 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I'm in college, purchased my car on eBay with 35k miles on it. I did my research and have had the expected issues - radiator, window regulator, cupholder, grills. I have used enthusiast message boards to find, fix, and do preventive maintenance. I now have 71K miles on it and everything works as it should. I love driving the car, it handles great and is wonderful for long road trips. I live on a tight budget and have been savvy enough to keep this car in order, which leads me to believe that anyone can. I think I'll see just how far this one will go. If you buy an older car, research it and spend some money doing preventative work like transmission flushes, etc. Mainly enjoy driving.

Don't keep it Past Warranty Period
By keywestmike on 11/20/06 13:46 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

This car was originally owned by Dave Thomas of Wendy's fame, he turned it in in March 2000 I bought it in May. Smoothest most fun car to drive ever. However, you must no keep it beyond BMW's Certified Warranty four years from purchase or 100,000 miles. I have 87500 miles on it now and the maintenance has been $8000.00. Apparently these cars are designed for heavy mileage but will start falling apart at age eight.

The Ultimate DRIVING Machine, YES!
By Automaniac on 11/09/06 11:34 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

Already the happy owner of bulletproof-reliable Accord coupe 5-sp 1990 (still drive it daily!), 44 mpg Civic hatch, wanted to buy large luxo car w. great styling/performance. If DRIVING PLEASURE is a top priority, BMW 7 = the ONLY option. Got a great price due to the high gas prices at the time Bought it Oct 05, $10.5 k after the owner fixed and detailed the car. It gets 24+ MPG long highway high speed trips, 13-15 spirited city. What a bargain! And $10.5k is less than the 1st yr depreciation if you buy the fat, ugly new 7! I'd drive this car forever!

What a Ride!
By The Vicar on 08/08/06 19:59 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

What a car! Speed, comfort, and luxury! Traveling 300 to 500 miles a day several times a month and I feel refreshed when I get out of the car! My car has been perfect!

Worth The Price
By M. Young on 08/01/06 21:50 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

She isn't the least expensive car to own, but she's worth the price. If you love driving, the flagship 7 Series is a dream. Sure afoot, "broad-shoulder" powerful, smooth, quiet, and regal. This is before Bangle. No iDrive either! 14-speaker sound and top quality materials everywhere you look. It always feels like it could be driven across the country with ease. Only 10% of BMWs are 7 Series so you don't see them everywhere when you're driving. Very advanced tech for a 1998 car. Most 2006s still can't compare. Change oil often, replace radiator, treat her nice and she will make you happy.