1998 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
The Ultimate Disaster Machine!
By Lucian on 01/29/06 23:51 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Looks can be deceiving! Let's see, purchased car at 58k, coolant sensor broke at 59K, tire alignmnet at 60K, fuel pump 61K, cat converter at 63K, sealant around windows at 63K all that in one yr. That yr i only put on the car 8k miles in hot weather! It has been nighmare after nightmare. Thanks BMW i hope ur happy in Stuttgart. Hire new engineers? That would be a good start.

The Ultimate "7" driving machine
By Alex on 12/17/05 20:07 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

My last car was a 1995 Jaguar XJ6, it was wonderful, however trunk space was an issue. Having owned 6 BMW's in the past I bought a 1998 740il on eBay. Drove the car to California from Texas, and on the way achieved between 25-29 mpg, Incredible! Both cats replaced for Calif Smog laws $2400 yikes! The car is an absolute pleasure to own, and drive. In essence its a "Sports car Limo". Fast, luxurious, smooth, powerful, addictive are just a few superlatives to descibe the car. Take care of your 740, don't abuse it, get your maintenance done when required and it will give you immense pleasure. As a side note, I later found out, my 740il was previously owned by Troy Aikman of the Dallas Cowboys.

Best car I ever owned
By Andrew on 09/14/05 10:05 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

After seeing this car I loved it, after driving it, I was obsessed with it, after owning it, I will always have a BMW. I thought about trading it for a Mercedes when my lease was up, but there were none comparable so I bought it... even the dealers that wanted to sell me a car knew that my car was better. I honestly believe that it is the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Fun to drive but expensive to maintain
By Dillon Lim on 08/04/05 01:05 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

It's a blast to drive this car. But reliability is a big issue. Common problems are radiator and reserviour, water pump, window regulators, O2 sensors, fading pixel displays. Great car if you can afford the maintenance.

Best car ever owned
By Judith Speth on 05/14/05 11:44 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Since I've owned this vehicle I've had only one repair. Take it in annually for an oil change, but that's about it. It's fun to drive and I've yet to be beaten in a race. We abuse it since we own rentals and load it up to drive the 300 miles to our rentals. My husband owns 2 vehicles but my BMW is our car of choice and he's trading his Audi All Road for a 750li. We always vacation in the Beamer.

1998 740IL
By Larry Dunbar on 01/24/05 12:11 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Puts a smile on your face every time you drive it. A big fast effortless cruising machine with loads of safety features. The interior room makes a long trip very comfortable. The drive fun factor is only exceeded by my wifes 2001 530I Sport.The car now has 47,000 miles on it and so far I've replaced the A/C pump, radiator, expansion tank, water pump, thermostat and it's housing. In additon a complete fluid change on everything. The cooling system componants were replaced as preventive maintainance measures with the exception of the water pump that had failed. All of the preceding is part of the price of owning one of the finest, safest, rides available.

Needs Minor fixes on Design
By Sandy on 12/21/04 21:03 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Probably one of the best driving cars on the road in its category. The engine /power and stability is excellent. Like a mistress , it is expensive, stylish and requires constant attention. Brakes are the best .. comes with the cost of replacing the rotors and pads very frequently. Tire alignment is a problem- so there is uneven wear of tire and they needs to be replaced more frequently. Automatic power windows are problem. They break very easily.. apparently there is a plastic part attached to the cable that breaks very easily.

Beware
By Bibel on 11/05/04 17:22 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Back at dealership 8 times over 7 years. Currently there (4-th week). Bad car .Bad dealer.

Walk Don't Run
By lsudad on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I love to drive this car. Reliability is not good however. Radiator neck (plastic!!!)broke off at 1 am 200 miles from home. Both catalytic converters failed. Eats tires due to bushings wearing out like plastic on front end. Cup holders are poorly designed, break often and are in the way of AC controls. Fuse problem left me stranded at night also. Only ORR BMW service brings me back to another BMW

'98 Bimmer
By tex2007 on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

..enjoyed the car more than any I've owned. Problem areas are :cupholder, driver's seat brackets,electronic control panel...wish BMW had not been so in love with plastic.