Used 1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Best Car You Can Own
By Scott

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I've had this car almost 5 years. I've replaced a window motor, fixed the power seat and replaced the fan. The total cost of repairs has been half that of my Chevy van, that is 2 years newer and has 80,000 less miles on it. This car is a pleasure to drive. It's comfortable and powerful. I usually get above 24 MPG on the freeway, and that's doing 80 MPH. I almost always choose it over my other cars (Boxster, 330ci and Van) due to the excellent sound system and handling. I've looked at the newer body style and I don't like it as much. Also the iDrive is a pain to use. I now have 180,000 miles on the car and I'm keeping it.

Comfort and power.

Better cup holders. (This goes for all German cars)

Will buy a third 7 Series
By Howard

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Big B' now has 120,000+ miles on it. It's the second 7 series I've owned. Great ride and performance! Pulled 24.6mpg running at 85 from Denver to KC last winter. Runs 16 -18mpg around town. No surprises with the owning costs - just budget ~$2500/year. Still cheaper than a new Honda Civic. A used 7 series is a bargain making up for the maintenance costs. I'll keep this '98 until the '09 series starts coming off leases in 2012 or thereabouts.

It is a handsome automobile far surpassing any Bangle masterpiece and no I-Drive!! 18" M wheels in summer. Blizzaks on the OEM wheels in winter. (Blizzaks makes 4WD irrelevant.)

Disappointments? Replacing Cat converters at 120,000 miles($2800), dying pixels on inst.panel, radiators that don't last.

A very expensive love affair
By Jay

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I fell in love with this car as soon as I saw it and I bought it without thinking twice. Big mistake!! Don't get me wrong, I still love this car but it is not for an average joe like me. It costs a lot and costs a lot more more just to maintain it. Every now and again problems creep up and every problem cost me more than a grand to fix. It's the best ride ever if you can afford it.

Powerful engine. Spacious interiors.

Too many electrical and mechanical design flaws. Bad suspensions. Bad radiator.

You have truly arrived
By JR

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Once you've owned a 7, You really have truly arrived. Realistically you're driving a very sophisticated luxury sedan that is supposed to be maintained to spec. BMW did not market this car to those who could not afford the maintenance costs. I find that the most reliable examples of any BMW I've looked at or talked to people about seem to be the ones that have been maintained correctly, this doesn't mean just oil changes, I'm talking following the full maintenance schedule. With the proper care and love these cars will treat you well. It demands respect when you pull up to a gathering and defiantly has a lot of presence. Do not let the E38's minor issues deter you from owning one.

14 speaker DSP audio system, powerful, fuel efficient powertrain, fatigue-less seating. (I can drive over 300 miles and not have to get out and stretch. Amazing!)

BMW should have used an all aluminum radiator and expansion tank similar or exactly like the Zionsville one that is available as an aftermarket replacment. An electric fan, the fan clutches are too susceptible to failure and can cause fan blade failure.

1998 740iL
By 740ilDuke

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I'm in college, purchased my car on eBay with 35k miles on it. I did my research and have had the expected issues - radiator, window regulator, cupholder, grills. I have used enthusiast message boards to find, fix, and do preventive maintenance. I now have 71K miles on it and everything works as it should. I love driving the car, it handles great and is wonderful for long road trips. I live on a tight budget and have been savvy enough to keep this car in order, which leads me to believe that anyone can. I think I'll see just how far this one will go. If you buy an older car, research it and spend some money doing preventative work like transmission flushes, etc. Mainly enjoy driving.

Bose sound system is great, window shades, trunk space, back seat room, ride, handling, style, M Parallel wheels!! Stay away from those basket weaves!

Radiator, cupholder, grills, window regulators, rear brake lights leak.