Used 1998 BMW 7 Series 750iL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

2nd 750iL
By motts71

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

This is my second 750iL. The first one had a wiring harness that disintegrated and would not pass emission because of the harness not connecting the oBD-II socket. This car has been every bit as enjoyable as the first one. The only non maintenance item that I have had to replace are the window regulators. Other than that, just normal oil and filter changes. I have over 150,000 miles and it runs as strong as ever. 17mpg in town and 25mpg on the highway at 80mph. An awesome handling and comfortable car. It handles better than my S-class Mercedes.

Power and handling.

strengthen window regulators. Front cup holder is a joke as everyone knows.

Yes, it is the ultimate driving machine!
By gelly70

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

I know; I haven’t had this awesome car for long (since June 2010). However, I drove it from Chicago, IL to Norfolk, VA in a super comfortable 14 hrs (939 mi) ride. I got 24 mpg. Very quiet & smooth ride, comfortable driving position, very nice sound system, impressive braking, powerful engine; bottom line: One GREAT vehicle for what I paid for! I just have brace for the shock, when I take it to BMW dealership to get an additional key and new brake lining (pads) replacement. I am the second owner of this very well care for, Protection Package 750IL baby. Now I understand why its called “The Ultimate Driving Machine”

Styling, handling, powerful V-12, quality of craftsmanship, Seat, mirror and steering wheel memory, automatic rear window shade and sound system etc. I could continue but Edmunds gives me only 300 characters!

Dashboard pixels burn out, front cup holder brakes easily and are in a bad location, CD skips with any small bump on the road, only 13 mpg in city traffic, expensive to service.

Overall a good deal
By stanley kowalski

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

Dirt cheap to buy for what you get. Incredible 12 cylinder model is if anything, more reliable than the 8, and well worth the small premium. Basically its been reliable with only one unscheduled repair in 2.5 years. Still, maintenance costs are considerable, but viewed as being in lieu of car payments, overall affordable, especially for those of us who do not put huge mileage on a car. Its not a headache car. Merely high maintenance.

Power, safety, value.

Front air dam gets chewed up by parking stones.

BMW 750iL GREAT MACHINE!
By Danie Erasmus

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle four months ago and it is in a very good condition with 128,000 km on the clock. Only modification seems to be a performance exhaust system. The 250km/h top speed governer has certainly been disabled, and the car might have an added performance chip. Reason I am saying this - I recently took on a Porsche 911 Carrera on the highway, and the Porsche lost. The owner told me later that he was doing 280km/h at top end, so the Beemer must have been doing 300km/h plus - it is difficult to say exactly as the speedo is marked to 260km only. The car is very fast and a mighty performer, I rate it in the top echelons of motoring society, and I got it at a fraction of the price.

Performance. Driveability. Comfort. Great sound system.

Very difficult to change spark plugs. Hot air circulation inside cabin needs improvement.

Don't keep it Past Warranty Period
By keywestmike

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

This car was originally owned by Dave Thomas of Wendy's fame, he turned it in in March 2000 I bought it in May. Smoothest most fun car to drive ever. However, you must no keep it beyond BMW's Certified Warranty four years from purchase or 100,000 miles. I have 87500 miles on it now and the maintenance has been $8000.00. Apparently these cars are designed for heavy mileage but will start falling apart at age eight.

Smooth "linear power" as you accelerate, no noise, no vibration at all. The triptronic is super, you think an Andretti is shifting for you. Seat support and position is incredibly good. Bose 14 speaker is worth every dime. Hate repair costs - way out of line for handmade, "quality" automobile.

The positioning of door lock and emergency flasher should be in driver's arm rest or on dash. Need power point, rear lighter outlet is too delicate to hand cell phone charger plug.