1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
2nd 750iL
By motts71 on 09/01/14 18:20 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

This is my second 750iL. The first one had a wiring harness that disintegrated and would not pass emission because of the harness not connecting the oBD-II socket. This car has been every bit as enjoyable as the first one. The only non maintenance item that I have had to replace are the window regulators. Other than that, just normal oil and filter changes. I have over 150,000 miles and it runs as strong as ever. 17mpg in town and 25mpg on the highway at 80mph. An awesome handling and comfortable car. It handles better than my S-class Mercedes.

Yes, it is the ultimate driving machine!
By gelly70 on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

I know; I haven’t had this awesome car for long (since June 2010). However, I drove it from Chicago, IL to Norfolk, VA in a super comfortable 14 hrs (939 mi) ride. I got 24 mpg. Very quiet & smooth ride, comfortable driving position, very nice sound system, impressive braking, powerful engine; bottom line: One GREAT vehicle for what I paid for! I just have brace for the shock, when I take it to BMW dealership to get an additional key and new brake lining (pads) replacement. I am the second owner of this very well care for, Protection Package 750IL baby. Now I understand why its called “The Ultimate Driving Machine”

Overall a good deal
By stanley kowalski on 08/22/09 15:33 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

Dirt cheap to buy for what you get. Incredible 12 cylinder model is if anything, more reliable than the 8, and well worth the small premium. Basically its been reliable with only one unscheduled repair in 2.5 years. Still, maintenance costs are considerable, but viewed as being in lieu of car payments, overall affordable, especially for those of us who do not put huge mileage on a car. Its not a headache car. Merely high maintenance.

BMW 750iL GREAT MACHINE!
By Danie Erasmus on 03/14/08 06:41 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle four months ago and it is in a very good condition with 128,000 km on the clock. Only modification seems to be a performance exhaust system. The 250km/h top speed governer has certainly been disabled, and the car might have an added performance chip. Reason I am saying this - I recently took on a Porsche 911 Carrera on the highway, and the Porsche lost. The owner told me later that he was doing 280km/h at top end, so the Beemer must have been doing 300km/h plus - it is difficult to say exactly as the speedo is marked to 260km only. The car is very fast and a mighty performer, I rate it in the top echelons of motoring society, and I got it at a fraction of the price.

Don't keep it Past Warranty Period
By keywestmike on 11/20/06 13:46 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

This car was originally owned by Dave Thomas of Wendy's fame, he turned it in in March 2000 I bought it in May. Smoothest most fun car to drive ever. However, you must no keep it beyond BMW's Certified Warranty four years from purchase or 100,000 miles. I have 87500 miles on it now and the maintenance has been $8000.00. Apparently these cars are designed for heavy mileage but will start falling apart at age eight.

What a Ride!
By The Vicar on 08/08/06 19:59 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

What a car! Speed, comfort, and luxury! Traveling 300 to 500 miles a day several times a month and I feel refreshed when I get out of the car! My car has been perfect!

Great ride, but expensive
By TAT on 05/24/06 09:03 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 750iL five years ago on eBay. First I test drove the 740 at delaer but it lacked power and acceleration. Thought the standard features like 12-cylinder engine, GPS and double thick glass made it a good choice. I love this car's performance! Sound system is the best I've ever owned. I commute 100 miles a day on the highway at 80 mph and it feels like I'm taking a race horse out for daily exercise. Have put 70K miles on the car since owning it and plan on driving past 200K. My only reservation is that it has cost me dearly to maintain at the dealer. Too many things needed fixing to detail here but all told I probably have put at least an additional $10K into maintainence.

Best Luxry Sedan, Get One
By arimah1 on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

I replaced my Lexus LS400 with this car after I got rear ended. The car had 104k miles when I bought it and still looked and handled like new. I have put 15k miles in less than one year and all I have done to the car is change the oil. It is a blast to drive. One big surprise, I get 27 MPG on the highway driving at 80 MPH. What other V12 can do that? The faster you go, the more powerful it gets. Handling around corners is excellent for a vehicle this size. Interior has all the comforts one will need and quality of finish is great. Better than every car I have owned including the Lesus. Get one today and experience a new high in driving pleasure.

BMW 750 CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG
By DADIO on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

PURCHASED ONE YEAR OLD. "ENGINE LIGHT" CAME ON EVERY 2000 MILES. TEMPERMENTAL POLLUTION CONTROLS ON THIS V12. WINDOW MOTORS ALL FAILED. HEADLAMP WASHER FAILED. ELECTRIC HEAD REST FAILED. CIG LIGHTER MOUNT FAILED. DRIVER SEAT MEMORY FAILED.

Great Performance AND Luxury !
By MKTViper on 04/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

The 750iL is unlike any car I've driven. The V12 accelerates so smoothly and quietly it feels like a (very powerful) electric car. And you can select "Sport Mode" on the transmission and dampening control for a high performance rocket that rivals 2+2 sports cars! Luxury features on this "top of the Line Bimmer" are abundant--to include power/heated REAR seats! Only complaint: lots of wind noise with exposed moonroof due to improper windshield fit. About $200+ to fix.