1998 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
WHAT A CAR !!!!
By jamezey on 09/11/12 12:11 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

This car is an amazing performer. It outshines many of the newer BMW'S . Mine has 204000 miles on it . Ive replaced the water pump , changed the oil , and thats about it !! WHO CARES ABOUT THE CUP HOLDER! LOL. I love my 7. just about the funest car ive ever driven. Big , luxurious, sexy body lines,responsive v-8. I get an average 22-23 on the highway, 21 all day in the city. nothing comes close to the beuty of this car. It is silver with grey leather. Smoked lenses complete this beuty. I wouldnt trade her . Shes a keeper . I'll probably drive her till' the wheels fall off. :) Scoop one of these up . . .if you can find a decent one .

Best car I've ever owned.
By Larry on 01/21/10 15:31 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Reliable, fun, handles well, looks good, for 2nd, 3rd owner don't lose much. Best and most reliable car I've ever owned.

love and pain
By RS on 01/10/10 13:07 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Over the last 12 years I've owned a 528i and then briefly owned a 2004 M3 (what a machine that was) and for the last couple years I've owned a 98 740i with a Dinan package. Amazing deep blue car that is a joy to drive. The problems just started after about 106K miles...oil leak, spark plug issue, heater quit working, power steering leak...ugh. Just got a call from the shop wanting more than $4K to fix it all. I feel the car is a beautiful car but freaky to spend this much all at once. I just put brand new tires and brakes 6 months ago as well. All in all...I haven't driven a car I like better except for the M3...another story...just make sure you are aware that the big 8 cost more to fix.

Carrier shot
By 740iFan on 05/10/09 06:23 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Arguably the most comfortable performance sedan ever built. Nice clean lines. Buy it right but set several thousand aside for initial remediation. I replaced water pump, window motor, control arm bushings, right cat, headlight lenses, and tires in the first year. Had leather refinished to like-new last year. You can get good quality non-BMW aftermarket parts drop shipped to your independent mechanic and save big $$$$. All-in I probably put 4K into the car since purchase bringing total cost to less than 11K. I get 22 mpg highway driving aggressively, 24 otherwise.

A maintenance nightmare
By toni p on 04/01/08 16:08 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has been like a beautiful woman with an evil heart. From the first year until the eighth year of ownership, it has been one "freakish" thing after another. Unbelievably, in the third year the engine went, a piston through the heart! Cat converters, AC, exhaust. Car is in shop for it's final repair, a blown gas tank! Another $2100 repair bill! Great driving, great looking classic, but I've had enough. Time to look at another brand! Did I just get a lemon or what?

Worth The Price
By M. Young on 08/01/06 21:50 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

She isn't the least expensive car to own, but she's worth the price. If you love driving, the flagship 7 Series is a dream. Sure afoot, "broad-shoulder" powerful, smooth, quiet, and regal. This is before Bangle. No iDrive either! 14-speaker sound and top quality materials everywhere you look. It always feels like it could be driven across the country with ease. Only 10% of BMWs are 7 Series so you don't see them everywhere when you're driving. Very advanced tech for a 1998 car. Most 2006s still can't compare. Change oil often, replace radiator, treat her nice and she will make you happy.

Second best way for long distance
By bugatti46 on 06/06/06 07:17 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

I have owned over 20 European cars and this is without a shadow of a doubt, the Best driving, most powerfull ball of fun I have ever driven. Elegant and sporty. The only thing I would do different would be to buy the "S" version next time... I will buy another. I have put over 150k on this one and things may start to wear out.

Excellent Car
By Alex on 04/22/05 17:29 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car year ago. It very well made car and also it's the best car I ever drove (out of 100+ cars). Performance is excellent, style, comfort and reliability. This car has "bullet proof" engine. I'm seeing people are complaining about cup holders - honestly that is the last thing I would think of. BMW 740 is the top of the line luxury sedan rather than comfy couch with convinient cup- holder. People who looking a cars as an expensive appliance should go for Toyota - Lexus, Honda... BMW is more for drive enthusiasts.

Fun but costly
By vac5588 on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Great looking, fun to drive, lots of power but what a headache to maintain. Would never buy another.

pleasantly surprised
By bmwraf on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

I seriously considered a used lexus before driving the 7 series bmw. This 98 had only 25K miles and was garaged. However, it needed some deferred maintenance and since has been terrific. Elegant and muscular, it is the perfect car for highway driving.