1998 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
What A Ride!
By eurorider1 on 12/02/12 17:14 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Bought it used 6 years ago with 100.000 miles and have driven coast to coast and beyond. Never has broken down and always ready and willing to hit the highway as fast and as long as I dare. It will cruise all day at 100 mph and you arrive safe and fit. And it gets LOOKS! Rode in a newer 750LI to NY. I didnt like it as well as the ol E38. Best bang for the money and it you take care of her she will never let you down....

Amazing reliable first car
By e2ek1eles212 on 02/27/12 13:57 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Yes, i purchased a 1998 for my first car and it wasnt a mistake. ive had dreams of buying one for my first car since i was 14 and i finally found one. it had 117,000 miles when i bought it and i havent had any serious problems. Everyone told me it was a bad idea to get a car like this because it was so impractical. They said it was bad on gas and parts would be so expensive but so far ive had to replace a water pump and a few other repairs of that sort and i could comfortable affford them on my minimum wage salary. The gas isnt bad in this car at all. Its actually quite good for a 2+ ton v8. I love this car and i hope it will last for a very very long time.

1998 740IL
By AS on 06/11/10 07:20 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Love this car. This is my first BMW and I must say I am so pleased. Big car, Big V8, and Big smiles. I have owned a 08 Lexus ES350 and I would choose the 1998 BMW over it any day. Repair cost are no more then Lexus repair and the drive on the BMW is superior.

Best Car You Can Own
By Scott on 01/04/10 10:34 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I've had this car almost 5 years. I've replaced a window motor, fixed the power seat and replaced the fan. The total cost of repairs has been half that of my Chevy van, that is 2 years newer and has 80,000 less miles on it. This car is a pleasure to drive. It's comfortable and powerful. I usually get above 24 MPG on the freeway, and that's doing 80 MPH. I almost always choose it over my other cars (Boxster, 330ci and Van) due to the excellent sound system and handling. I've looked at the newer body style and I don't like it as much. Also the iDrive is a pain to use. I now have 180,000 miles on the car and I'm keeping it.

Will buy a third 7 Series
By Howard on 03/19/09 08:38 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Big B' now has 120,000+ miles on it. It's the second 7 series I've owned. Great ride and performance! Pulled 24.6mpg running at 85 from Denver to KC last winter. Runs 16 -18mpg around town. No surprises with the owning costs - just budget ~$2500/year. Still cheaper than a new Honda Civic. A used 7 series is a bargain making up for the maintenance costs. I'll keep this '98 until the '09 series starts coming off leases in 2012 or thereabouts.

A very expensive love affair
By Jay on 03/20/08 08:26 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I fell in love with this car as soon as I saw it and I bought it without thinking twice. Big mistake!! Don't get me wrong, I still love this car but it is not for an average joe like me. It costs a lot and costs a lot more more just to maintain it. Every now and again problems creep up and every problem cost me more than a grand to fix. It's the best ride ever if you can afford it.

You have truly arrived
By JR on 02/06/08 22:42 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Once you've owned a 7, You really have truly arrived. Realistically you're driving a very sophisticated luxury sedan that is supposed to be maintained to spec. BMW did not market this car to those who could not afford the maintenance costs. I find that the most reliable examples of any BMW I've looked at or talked to people about seem to be the ones that have been maintained correctly, this doesn't mean just oil changes, I'm talking following the full maintenance schedule. With the proper care and love these cars will treat you well. It demands respect when you pull up to a gathering and defiantly has a lot of presence. Do not let the E38's minor issues deter you from owning one.

1998 740iL
By 740ilDuke on 01/09/07 15:48 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I'm in college, purchased my car on eBay with 35k miles on it. I did my research and have had the expected issues - radiator, window regulator, cupholder, grills. I have used enthusiast message boards to find, fix, and do preventive maintenance. I now have 71K miles on it and everything works as it should. I love driving the car, it handles great and is wonderful for long road trips. I live on a tight budget and have been savvy enough to keep this car in order, which leads me to believe that anyone can. I think I'll see just how far this one will go. If you buy an older car, research it and spend some money doing preventative work like transmission flushes, etc. Mainly enjoy driving.

The Ultimate DRIVING Machine, YES!
By Automaniac on 11/09/06 11:34 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Already the happy owner of bulletproof-reliable Accord coupe 5-sp 1990 (still drive it daily!), 44 mpg Civic hatch, wanted to buy large luxo car w. great styling/performance. If DRIVING PLEASURE is a top priority, BMW 7 = the ONLY option. Got a great price due to the high gas prices at the time Bought it Oct 05, $10.5 k after the owner fixed and detailed the car. It gets 24+ MPG long highway high speed trips, 13-15 spirited city. What a bargain! And $10.5k is less than the 1st yr depreciation if you buy the fat, ugly new 7! I'd drive this car forever!

BMW 7 series
By Doug1958 on 08/01/06 17:14 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

This Car is so fun to drive the way it handled around big bends is legendary.