Used 1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

What A Ride!
By eurorider1

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Bought it used 6 years ago with 100.000 miles and have driven coast to coast and beyond. Never has broken down and always ready and willing to hit the highway as fast and as long as I dare. It will cruise all day at 100 mph and you arrive safe and fit. And it gets LOOKS! Rode in a newer 750LI to NY. I didnt like it as well as the ol E38. Best bang for the money and it you take care of her she will never let you down....

Favorite Features

With out a doubt the most comfortable long distance car on the planet! And ive driven lots of them. For tall people it is a must to own, Im 6'6 and its nice to be stretched out in the front seat and not having your knees rubbed raw by the shift consol.

Suggested Improvements

None! Except that I ask BMW to do a retro 740/750il from 1998 to 2001.

Amazing reliable first car
By e2ek1eles212

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Yes, i purchased a 1998 for my first car and it wasnt a mistake. ive had dreams of buying one for my first car since i was 14 and i finally found one. it had 117,000 miles when i bought it and i havent had any serious problems. Everyone told me it was a bad idea to get a car like this because it was so impractical. They said it was bad on gas and parts would be so expensive but so far ive had to replace a water pump and a few other repairs of that sort and i could comfortable affford them on my minimum wage salary. The gas isnt bad in this car at all. Its actually quite good for a 2+ ton v8. I love this car and i hope it will last for a very very long time.

Favorite Features

ASC

1998 740IL
By AS

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Love this car. This is my first BMW and I must say I am so pleased. Big car, Big V8, and Big smiles. I have owned a 08 Lexus ES350 and I would choose the 1998 BMW over it any day. Repair cost are no more then Lexus repair and the drive on the BMW is superior.

Favorite Features

Power Style

Suggested Improvements

Plastic seat trim

Best Car You Can Own
By Scott

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I've had this car almost 5 years. I've replaced a window motor, fixed the power seat and replaced the fan. The total cost of repairs has been half that of my Chevy van, that is 2 years newer and has 80,000 less miles on it. This car is a pleasure to drive. It's comfortable and powerful. I usually get above 24 MPG on the freeway, and that's doing 80 MPH. I almost always choose it over my other cars (Boxster, 330ci and Van) due to the excellent sound system and handling. I've looked at the newer body style and I don't like it as much. Also the iDrive is a pain to use. I now have 180,000 miles on the car and I'm keeping it.

Favorite Features

Comfort and power.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders. (This goes for all German cars)

Will buy a third 7 Series
By Howard

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Big B' now has 120,000+ miles on it. It's the second 7 series I've owned. Great ride and performance! Pulled 24.6mpg running at 85 from Denver to KC last winter. Runs 16 -18mpg around town. No surprises with the owning costs - just budget ~$2500/year. Still cheaper than a new Honda Civic. A used 7 series is a bargain making up for the maintenance costs. I'll keep this '98 until the '09 series starts coming off leases in 2012 or thereabouts.

Favorite Features

It is a handsome automobile far surpassing any Bangle masterpiece and no I-Drive!! 18" M wheels in summer. Blizzaks on the OEM wheels in winter. (Blizzaks makes 4WD irrelevant.)

Suggested Improvements

Disappointments? Replacing Cat converters at 120,000 miles($2800), dying pixels on inst.panel, radiators that don't last.