1998 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
2nd 750iL
By motts71 on 09/01/14 18:20 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 750iL 4dr Sedan

This is my second 750iL. The first one had a wiring harness that disintegrated and would not pass emission because of the harness not connecting the oBD-II socket. This car has been every bit as enjoyable as the first one. The only non maintenance item that I have had to replace are the window regulators. Other than that, just normal oil and filter changes. I have over 150,000 miles and it runs as strong as ever. 17mpg in town and 25mpg on the highway at 80mph. An awesome handling and comfortable car. It handles better than my S-class Mercedes.

What A Ride!
By eurorider1 on 12/02/12 17:14 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Bought it used 6 years ago with 100.000 miles and have driven coast to coast and beyond. Never has broken down and always ready and willing to hit the highway as fast and as long as I dare. It will cruise all day at 100 mph and you arrive safe and fit. And it gets LOOKS! Rode in a newer 750LI to NY. I didnt like it as well as the ol E38. Best bang for the money and it you take care of her she will never let you down....

WHAT A CAR !!!!
By jamezey on 09/11/12 12:11 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

This car is an amazing performer. It outshines many of the newer BMW'S . Mine has 204000 miles on it . Ive replaced the water pump , changed the oil , and thats about it !! WHO CARES ABOUT THE CUP HOLDER! LOL. I love my 7. just about the funest car ive ever driven. Big , luxurious, sexy body lines,responsive v-8. I get an average 22-23 on the highway, 21 all day in the city. nothing comes close to the beuty of this car. It is silver with grey leather. Smoked lenses complete this beuty. I wouldnt trade her . Shes a keeper . I'll probably drive her till' the wheels fall off. :) Scoop one of these up . . .if you can find a decent one .

Amazing reliable first car
By e2ek1eles212 on 02/27/12 13:57 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Yes, i purchased a 1998 for my first car and it wasnt a mistake. ive had dreams of buying one for my first car since i was 14 and i finally found one. it had 117,000 miles when i bought it and i havent had any serious problems. Everyone told me it was a bad idea to get a car like this because it was so impractical. They said it was bad on gas and parts would be so expensive but so far ive had to replace a water pump and a few other repairs of that sort and i could comfortable affford them on my minimum wage salary. The gas isnt bad in this car at all. Its actually quite good for a 2+ ton v8. I love this car and i hope it will last for a very very long time.

Yes, it is the ultimate driving machine!
By gelly70 on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 750iL 4dr Sedan

I know; I haven’t had this awesome car for long (since June 2010). However, I drove it from Chicago, IL to Norfolk, VA in a super comfortable 14 hrs (939 mi) ride. I got 24 mpg. Very quiet & smooth ride, comfortable driving position, very nice sound system, impressive braking, powerful engine; bottom line: One GREAT vehicle for what I paid for! I just have brace for the shock, when I take it to BMW dealership to get an additional key and new brake lining (pads) replacement. I am the second owner of this very well care for, Protection Package 750IL baby. Now I understand why its called “The Ultimate Driving Machine”

1998 740IL
By AS on 06/11/10 07:20 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Love this car. This is my first BMW and I must say I am so pleased. Big car, Big V8, and Big smiles. I have owned a 08 Lexus ES350 and I would choose the 1998 BMW over it any day. Repair cost are no more then Lexus repair and the drive on the BMW is superior.

Best car I've ever owned.
By Larry on 01/21/10 15:31 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Reliable, fun, handles well, looks good, for 2nd, 3rd owner don't lose much. Best and most reliable car I've ever owned.

love and pain
By RS on 01/10/10 13:07 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Over the last 12 years I've owned a 528i and then briefly owned a 2004 M3 (what a machine that was) and for the last couple years I've owned a 98 740i with a Dinan package. Amazing deep blue car that is a joy to drive. The problems just started after about 106K miles...oil leak, spark plug issue, heater quit working, power steering leak...ugh. Just got a call from the shop wanting more than $4K to fix it all. I feel the car is a beautiful car but freaky to spend this much all at once. I just put brand new tires and brakes 6 months ago as well. All in all...I haven't driven a car I like better except for the M3...another story...just make sure you are aware that the big 8 cost more to fix.

Best Car You Can Own
By Scott on 01/04/10 10:34 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I've had this car almost 5 years. I've replaced a window motor, fixed the power seat and replaced the fan. The total cost of repairs has been half that of my Chevy van, that is 2 years newer and has 80,000 less miles on it. This car is a pleasure to drive. It's comfortable and powerful. I usually get above 24 MPG on the freeway, and that's doing 80 MPH. I almost always choose it over my other cars (Boxster, 330ci and Van) due to the excellent sound system and handling. I've looked at the newer body style and I don't like it as much. Also the iDrive is a pain to use. I now have 180,000 miles on the car and I'm keeping it.

Overall a good deal
By stanley kowalski on 08/22/09 15:33 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 7 Series 750iL 4dr Sedan

Dirt cheap to buy for what you get. Incredible 12 cylinder model is if anything, more reliable than the 8, and well worth the small premium. Basically its been reliable with only one unscheduled repair in 2.5 years. Still, maintenance costs are considerable, but viewed as being in lieu of car payments, overall affordable, especially for those of us who do not put huge mileage on a car. Its not a headache car. Merely high maintenance.