Used 1998 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

2nd 750iL
By motts71

1998 BMW 7 Series 750iL 4dr Sedan

This is my second 750iL. The first one had a wiring harness that disintegrated and would not pass emission because of the harness not connecting the oBD-II socket. This car has been every bit as enjoyable as the first one. The only non maintenance item that I have had to replace are the window regulators. Other than that, just normal oil and filter changes. I have over 150,000 miles and it runs as strong as ever. 17mpg in town and 25mpg on the highway at 80mph. An awesome handling and comfortable car. It handles better than my S-class Mercedes.

Favorite Features

Power and handling.

Suggested Improvements

strengthen window regulators. Front cup holder is a joke as everyone knows.

What A Ride!
By eurorider1

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Bought it used 6 years ago with 100.000 miles and have driven coast to coast and beyond. Never has broken down and always ready and willing to hit the highway as fast and as long as I dare. It will cruise all day at 100 mph and you arrive safe and fit. And it gets LOOKS! Rode in a newer 750LI to NY. I didnt like it as well as the ol E38. Best bang for the money and it you take care of her she will never let you down....

Favorite Features

With out a doubt the most comfortable long distance car on the planet! And ive driven lots of them. For tall people it is a must to own, Im 6'6 and its nice to be stretched out in the front seat and not having your knees rubbed raw by the shift consol.

Suggested Improvements

None! Except that I ask BMW to do a retro 740/750il from 1998 to 2001.

WHAT A CAR !!!!
By jamezey

1998 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

This car is an amazing performer. It outshines many of the newer BMW'S . Mine has 204000 miles on it . Ive replaced the water pump , changed the oil , and thats about it !! WHO CARES ABOUT THE CUP HOLDER! LOL. I love my 7. just about the funest car ive ever driven. Big , luxurious, sexy body lines,responsive v-8. I get an average 22-23 on the highway, 21 all day in the city. nothing comes close to the beuty of this car. It is silver with grey leather. Smoked lenses complete this beuty. I wouldnt trade her . Shes a keeper . I'll probably drive her till' the wheels fall off. :) Scoop one of these up . . .if you can find a decent one .

Favorite Features

HAS IT ALL

Suggested Improvements

NO IMPROVEMENTS NECESSARY

Amazing reliable first car
By e2ek1eles212

1998 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Yes, i purchased a 1998 for my first car and it wasnt a mistake. ive had dreams of buying one for my first car since i was 14 and i finally found one. it had 117,000 miles when i bought it and i havent had any serious problems. Everyone told me it was a bad idea to get a car like this because it was so impractical. They said it was bad on gas and parts would be so expensive but so far ive had to replace a water pump and a few other repairs of that sort and i could comfortable affford them on my minimum wage salary. The gas isnt bad in this car at all. Its actually quite good for a 2+ ton v8. I love this car and i hope it will last for a very very long time.

Favorite Features

ASC

Yes, it is the ultimate driving machine!
By gelly70

1998 BMW 7 Series 750iL 4dr Sedan

I know; I haven’t had this awesome car for long (since June 2010). However, I drove it from Chicago, IL to Norfolk, VA in a super comfortable 14 hrs (939 mi) ride. I got 24 mpg. Very quiet & smooth ride, comfortable driving position, very nice sound system, impressive braking, powerful engine; bottom line: One GREAT vehicle for what I paid for! I just have brace for the shock, when I take it to BMW dealership to get an additional key and new brake lining (pads) replacement. I am the second owner of this very well care for, Protection Package 750IL baby. Now I understand why its called “The Ultimate Driving Machine”

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, powerful V-12, quality of craftsmanship, Seat, mirror and steering wheel memory, automatic rear window shade and sound system etc. I could continue but Edmunds gives me only 300 characters!

Suggested Improvements

Dashboard pixels burn out, front cup holder brakes easily and are in a bad location, CD skips with any small bump on the road, only 13 mpg in city traffic, expensive to service.