1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 4.4L V8 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1997 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

740iL Sedan (4.4L V8 5-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
1997 Bmw 740iL Luxury Luxury And Performance
By bmwenthusiast7 on 09/07/14 17:17 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I recently bought a 1997 Bmw 740iL Luxury Sedan with 154,000 original miles. I bought it for $1,500 and all it needed was a hood latch. Then I finished it off with fifteen inch chrome and black wheels and a premium navigation system. The power is amazing and it has all the options to make it considered a luxury vehicle. It is simply five out of five stars.

Piece of junk
By lousy cat on 08/20/10 00:46 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

This is the only car I have ever owned that literally falls apart before your eyes. BMW should be ashamed to put such a poor quality car on the market. It's only redeeming quality is that it looks good. The list of things wrong with my car are incredible for a car that has just over 100k on it BMW shame on you.

Great Car!
By JoeyJ on 03/23/09 08:24 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

Great car fun to drive but when something breaks prepare to spend at least $200 in repairs.

Love our Bimmer
By Reston on 06/22/06 06:12 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

We bought the car used and had to sink some money into it right off the bat, for items not covered by the seller's warranty. Wondered about the choice for the first year. Then the car settled down and we've had routine maintenance since. It's a joy to drive, city or highway, and it's a joy for passengers. If you don't keep up with routine maintenance, and replace things at the first sign of trouble, expect to sink a lot of money into repairs. We do routine maintenance, and change the oil frequently, and we've been very satisfied. We plan to run the car for ten more years at least.

Good Car, High Cost to Own
By Chicago Bimmer on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

Love the car, hate the car. Most beautiful car I've owned. A joy to drive, when everything works. Replaced 4 window motors, 1 seat motor, a radiator, 2 water pumps, an alternator, a drive shaft, a CD player, and dash read outs. The other day the exterior door handle just came off in my hand. This car has been maintianed by BMW and certified mechanics, yet the build quality work against the owner. It's a shame considering the cost of the car.

love it, but.....
By glfahlcron on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

this is the ultimate driving vehicle...the only problem i have is when i have to put it in the shop for repairs. expect to dig deep... nevertheless, when i get back behind the wheel it seems all worth it.

Endless money pit
By RenoBMW on 12/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

Great road car when it's running, but plagued by extremely low realibility and extremely high repair costs. Bought this off lease and have had it in shop at least once every month since for various things breaking or not working. The A/C has been repaired twice at $1800 per trip, and still doesn't work all the time, new driveline, suspension, seat motors, DMK motors, the list is endless. I've paid nearly as much in repairs as I did for the car. As soon as the last payment is made I'm buying a Lexus.

THE BMW 740IL
By Jeerryy on 10/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

ITS A GREAT CAR

Repairs & More
By Msaw on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

Although the extended warranty to 100,000 miles covers the repairs, the repairs never stop nor to the headaces of having the car towed back to the dealership. Replaced stereo 3 times, valve cover gaskets, water pump, replaced radiator 2 times, trouble with the electronics, and now the A/C. BMW can make a great car, have a 92 525i with 182,000 miles and no repairs, plus it's fun to drive.

Hate to love it
By Steve B on 06/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I love the car and the compliments. Legroom for everyone. But too much maintenance on things that shouldn't go wrong. When I ask, I hear "yeah, the 7's do that." $3500 in the last year or so...this is ridiculous.