1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
1997 Bmw 740iL Luxury Luxury And Performance
By bmwenthusiast7 on 09/07/14 17:17 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I recently bought a 1997 Bmw 740iL Luxury Sedan with 154,000 original miles. I bought it for $1,500 and all it needed was a hood latch. Then I finished it off with fifteen inch chrome and black wheels and a premium navigation system. The power is amazing and it has all the options to make it considered a luxury vehicle. It is simply five out of five stars.

The Ultimate Driving Machine!
By michaeljr5 on 12/16/11 07:03 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

No doubt, the late 90's 7 Series were by far one of BMW's most beautiful cars ever! I bought my 97 740i with 175K miles on it. It's not in perfect condition, it's been a project car. If you're willing to shop around you can find good parts for really good prices. I replaced all four struts, upper, lower control arms, tie rods and sway bar linkage for about $1000. I did all the work myself. It has that stupid Nav system in it and it doesn't work. The bugger is that it's not wired like a normal stereo so replacing it is near impossible. All in all, this one is a rocket ship! I'd love to drive a new one!!!

Piece of junk
By lousy cat on 08/20/10 00:46 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

This is the only car I have ever owned that literally falls apart before your eyes. BMW should be ashamed to put such a poor quality car on the market. It's only redeeming quality is that it looks good. The list of things wrong with my car are incredible for a car that has just over 100k on it BMW shame on you.

Great Car!
By JoeyJ on 03/23/09 08:24 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

Great car fun to drive but when something breaks prepare to spend at least $200 in repairs.

BMW 7 Series The Ultimate Starship
By 7 Series Owner on 02/14/08 19:19 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

This is BMW's flagship sedan and it does not disappoint in any way. Power, comfort, styling, safety and technology are all present here. One can easily go from 0-60 in less than 7 seconds, and at high speeds feel as if you are going half the pace with room to spare. More fun to drive than Mercedes, or Lexus combined!! The feel is rock solid and it handles like the 5 passenger sports car it really is. Plenty of creature comforts and cutting edge technology even in the older models. I have owned several hugh end luxury vehicles, domestic and foreign and this one is the best of all. It deserves the title "Ultimate Driving Machine" - I just can't see or imagine myself in any other car at all.!!

Love our Bimmer
By Reston on 06/22/06 06:12 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

We bought the car used and had to sink some money into it right off the bat, for items not covered by the seller's warranty. Wondered about the choice for the first year. Then the car settled down and we've had routine maintenance since. It's a joy to drive, city or highway, and it's a joy for passengers. If you don't keep up with routine maintenance, and replace things at the first sign of trouble, expect to sink a lot of money into repairs. We do routine maintenance, and change the oil frequently, and we've been very satisfied. We plan to run the car for ten more years at least.

Bills Beemer
By willie on 06/30/05 12:03 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

The car is very sound (structurally). Reliability is poor. Too many expensive repairs for a expensive car. (radiator, steering, backfire plate, window controller) Think twice about this cas due to high cost of repair.

Finally we own an excellect automobile
By wmsnodgras on 05/15/05 00:07 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

After a three month search on line for the perfect E38'-- I was prepared to drive up to 1500 miles to get the right car--I found "my" vehicle 6 miles from home. It has been running flawlessly, except for a short circuit in a wiring harnace which BMW of El Paso seems to have fixed at no charge. Car is total pleasure to own and drive. mileage in town is 14.5 MPG. On the highway, I'm getting 25 MPG all day @75 mph using the recommended mid-grade gasoline.

Wonderful car
By 7series on 04/09/05 16:32 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

This is a truly wonderful car. The ride is smooth and the build quality is great. I haven't owned a car that was built with more attention to detail. One must treat it with utter care, and go very easy on the car and all its amenities and it will last you. From new, mine has almost 110,000 miles. The only work done was the brakes, at 100,000 miles, the navigation dvd stopped working at about that time, too, and there seems to be a strange clicking noise coming from the dash. It could be the computer or navigation, or just a leaf in the a/c. Bar those mishaps, this is one of the most beautiful cars inside and out. My only complaint is that it doesn't have an electronic sport suspension setting.

Good Car, High Cost to Own
By Chicago Bimmer on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

Love the car, hate the car. Most beautiful car I've owned. A joy to drive, when everything works. Replaced 4 window motors, 1 seat motor, a radiator, 2 water pumps, an alternator, a drive shaft, a CD player, and dash read outs. The other day the exterior door handle just came off in my hand. This car has been maintianed by BMW and certified mechanics, yet the build quality work against the owner. It's a shame considering the cost of the car.