Used 1997 BMW 7 Series 740i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Seriously Amazing car. I love this car <3
By gdwhip

1997 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Super positive this car is the best. Bought this car in 2010 and I've had it for 5 years. I would recommend it to anyone. Girls love the roomy bmw. The leather luxurious interior makes you feel like a boss from the way the steering wheel heats your hands up to the wood grain and super comfortable seats. Everyone that sits inside the car compliments it. I've had numerous people offer to buy it but I would never sell it. The car grows on you. I took out the sound system and installed a beautiful nav gps with aux cord and it get better sound than any vehicle I've ever sat inside. The whole look and feel of this car is the perfect balance of cool and classy.

So many features in that make this car special there's too many to write. Like the heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, the roomy trunk, sun roof, perfect ride, powerful, the car just makes you happy to drive it. This car will last forever with its timeless styling and it's one of the strongest cars on the road.

Get a black one, the car looks exeptional in black. Black leather is a plus too, it doesn't age like white leather does. Also the stock music player in it is dated, I recommend getting one that has had some work to the stereo.

The Ultimate Driving Machine!
By michaeljr5

1997 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

No doubt, the late 90's 7 Series were by far one of BMW's most beautiful cars ever! I bought my 97 740i with 175K miles on it. It's not in perfect condition, it's been a project car. If you're willing to shop around you can find good parts for really good prices. I replaced all four struts, upper, lower control arms, tie rods and sway bar linkage for about $1000. I did all the work myself. It has that stupid Nav system in it and it doesn't work. The bugger is that it's not wired like a normal stereo so replacing it is near impossible. All in all, this one is a rocket ship! I'd love to drive a new one!!!

Almost 300hp at 176K miles, awesome! Cruises at 85 mph and gets 22 mpg doing it! It is by far just awesome to drive! I've taken it to the stip and have embarrassed a few muscle and tuners with it. No one thinks it'll move.

BMW 7 Series The Ultimate Starship
By 7 Series Owner

1997 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

This is BMW's flagship sedan and it does not disappoint in any way. Power, comfort, styling, safety and technology are all present here. One can easily go from 0-60 in less than 7 seconds, and at high speeds feel as if you are going half the pace with room to spare. More fun to drive than Mercedes, or Lexus combined!! The feel is rock solid and it handles like the 5 passenger sports car it really is. Plenty of creature comforts and cutting edge technology even in the older models. I have owned several hugh end luxury vehicles, domestic and foreign and this one is the best of all. It deserves the title "Ultimate Driving Machine" - I just can't see or imagine myself in any other car at all.!!

Driving performance, ergonomics, reliability and solid feel. Handles like a car half its size. Nimble, quick and strong! Quiet as a theatre inside, you feel the experience of driving, not hear it all. Refined and distinguished, with proper care should live a long driving and owning life.

More attention paid to small ergonomics, like the infamous cupholder. Quality could have been greater here. The engineers must prefer driving to beverage consumption.

Bills Beemer
By willie

1997 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

The car is very sound (structurally). Reliability is poor. Too many expensive repairs for a expensive car. (radiator, steering, backfire plate, window controller) Think twice about this cas due to high cost of repair.

Finally we own an excellect automobile
By wmsnodgras

1997 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

After a three month search on line for the perfect E38'-- I was prepared to drive up to 1500 miles to get the right car--I found "my" vehicle 6 miles from home. It has been running flawlessly, except for a short circuit in a wiring harnace which BMW of El Paso seems to have fixed at no charge. Car is total pleasure to own and drive. mileage in town is 14.5 MPG. On the highway, I'm getting 25 MPG all day @75 mph using the recommended mid-grade gasoline.

Handling, weight, safety features, Up to 3 memory settings for 8 way power seat, mirrors, and steering wheel positioning, remote keylss entry, design quality, dimming interior lights

Why can't BMW increase the reliablity of the various electronic systems in an automobile this sophisticated? Acura and Lexus have done it--but the great Japanese auto makers have yet to build a body and suspension that is as well designed and integrated as this BMW 740i.