1997 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
The Ultimate Driving Machine!
By michaeljr5 on 12/16/11 07:03 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

No doubt, the late 90's 7 Series were by far one of BMW's most beautiful cars ever! I bought my 97 740i with 175K miles on it. It's not in perfect condition, it's been a project car. If you're willing to shop around you can find good parts for really good prices. I replaced all four struts, upper, lower control arms, tie rods and sway bar linkage for about $1000. I did all the work myself. It has that stupid Nav system in it and it doesn't work. The bugger is that it's not wired like a normal stereo so replacing it is near impossible. All in all, this one is a rocket ship! I'd love to drive a new one!!!

BMW 7 Series The Ultimate Starship
By 7 Series Owner on 02/14/08 19:19 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

This is BMW's flagship sedan and it does not disappoint in any way. Power, comfort, styling, safety and technology are all present here. One can easily go from 0-60 in less than 7 seconds, and at high speeds feel as if you are going half the pace with room to spare. More fun to drive than Mercedes, or Lexus combined!! The feel is rock solid and it handles like the 5 passenger sports car it really is. Plenty of creature comforts and cutting edge technology even in the older models. I have owned several hugh end luxury vehicles, domestic and foreign and this one is the best of all. It deserves the title "Ultimate Driving Machine" - I just can't see or imagine myself in any other car at all.!!

Bills Beemer
By willie on 06/30/05 12:03 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

The car is very sound (structurally). Reliability is poor. Too many expensive repairs for a expensive car. (radiator, steering, backfire plate, window controller) Think twice about this cas due to high cost of repair.

Finally we own an excellect automobile
By wmsnodgras on 05/15/05 00:07 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

After a three month search on line for the perfect E38'-- I was prepared to drive up to 1500 miles to get the right car--I found "my" vehicle 6 miles from home. It has been running flawlessly, except for a short circuit in a wiring harnace which BMW of El Paso seems to have fixed at no charge. Car is total pleasure to own and drive. mileage in town is 14.5 MPG. On the highway, I'm getting 25 MPG all day @75 mph using the recommended mid-grade gasoline.

The Ultimate Ride & Repair Costs
By DarkShark on 03/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Fantastic car to drive! Plenty Leg Room and comfort features but don't plan on leaving the repair shop for less than $1,000 per visit (for instance, I needed $30.00 in parts and the total bill was close to $900.00). If you buy one, do yourself a favor and STRONGLY consider getting an extended (high performance) warranty...You WILL forget about the repair costs while driving though! The best of the best (unless you have the pleasure of driving the 2004 535i)!

lots of fun/problems
By sanjaysp on 03/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Great drivers car!!! pleasure to drive, get lots of looks.

No more MBZ for me!
By 1997 BMW Owner on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

I had always owned MBZ and although I was quite happy with what I drove, it wasn't until I got behind the wheel of this 740i that I understood the meaning of the ultimate driving machine. What a pleasure!

Great car but not cheap to run.
By Enjoyment on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

I love my 740i. With the Dinan engine upgrades and stage 1 suspension it is like a large sports car. Smooth and powerful with a navigation system/TV. So far, only the cooling system (radiator, water pump and resevoir) has broken. I hope that will be all but that is a lot for a 1997 with 60,000 miles on it. Certified warranty keeps costs down up to 50,000 miles.

NICE!!!
By wvangosen on 06/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

I love this car! When I purchased it though, it had some problems and slightly abused. Digital displays not functioning properly, radio buttons broken, no floor mats, paint splatter on the side, etc... However, the ride and performance of this car have more than made up for these minor glites (not to mention the great price I got on it). Center console should have a hidden compartment for the phone and be covered with the same soft leather that the seats are covered in.

this review
By Jughead on 04/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Love the car, but hate the dealer repair capability. Must seek out and find independent quality repair site.