V12 in the family
By rwr on
1996 BMW 7 Series 750iL 4dr Sedan
Looking for what to buy next, I'm reviewing my decade with my 750iL. Bought off lease at 62K mi now has 160K. Fabulous handling given the sheer size of the car. Great brakes, turns are fast and precise, and the engine is nearly great. It's underpowered. For a v12 that could put out 1000hp it does about 380. Smooth and powerful but not as impressive as it should be. Precise shifts at all times. Cost to maintain is about $4K per year but I paid that gladly for love. Electrical and plastics break or wear out too fast. Best time has been 140K mi and up- no more problems, but 14 years of dings, scratches, kids, time for a new car. I never liked the new 7s and M5 and i-drive so whats next? MB S65?
Favorite Features
Handles like it's on rails. Smooth, quiet, strong. Never a fuss. Great colors (green/tan) and body style. Classic imperial looks. V12 is far better than the V8. Room inside for a family to live in. Massive trunk. Good mixed driving(18.6) MPG.
Suggested Improvements
Electrics are poor - dash displays have all been replaced, switches, engine sensors. All big $$. Cat converters died 4x. Two on warranty, then 2 not (2000 each). Motor is underpowered.