1996 BMW 7 Series Sedan 5.4L V12 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

1996 BMW 7 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

750iL Sedan (5.4L V12 5-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
V12 in the family
By rwr on 05/20/09 17:19 PM (PDT)

1996 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

Looking for what to buy next, I'm reviewing my decade with my 750iL. Bought off lease at 62K mi now has 160K. Fabulous handling given the sheer size of the car. Great brakes, turns are fast and precise, and the engine is nearly great. It's underpowered. For a v12 that could put out 1000hp it does about 380. Smooth and powerful but not as impressive as it should be. Precise shifts at all times. Cost to maintain is about $4K per year but I paid that gladly for love. Electrical and plastics break or wear out too fast. Best time has been 140K mi and up- no more problems, but 14 years of dings, scratches, kids, time for a new car. I never liked the new 7s and M5 and i-drive so whats next? MB S65?

Care Will Be Rewarded
By bavariancowboy on 06/06/06 19:16 PM (PDT)

1996 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

The calling card of the 7 is how capable this car is. The performance, handling and comfort combine for an impressive driving experience. The V-12 effortlessly moves the car and highway passing is especially stellar. Even years later, the features are still contemporary such as heated steering wheel and heated/reclining seats front and back. These cars are not reliable in the way of a Toyota. Maintenance is required however the upside is that they maintain their level of performance along with fit and finish very well. A cared for '96 750iL looks and drives like an impressive BMW not a 10 year old used car. In one line, a great car to drive!

Best Car in the World
By ntnylion75 on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

The BMW 750il is the most magnificent car I have ever driven and owned. It is a unique blend of power, comfort and excitement. People who are afraid of the 12 cylinder engine due to 15 year old quality issues are missing the drive of a life time. This car is far superior to a 740il and is all around faster than the 540i. I know because I have owned both vehicles. Caution: be careful. If you drive one it could spoil you for other cars. It's that good.

The Flagship Driving Machine
By Rolo on 03/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

Wonderful car from style to performance to driving experience. Perfect for those with a split personality who on some days, enjoy a comfortable drive, while on others, prefer to drop it in sport mode and experience some real fun.