Used 1995 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Want a convertible, but can't let go!
By RJ

1995 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

This is definitely a one of a kind! Almost 2 yrs now I've owned this devil of a car. I love it so much; I cannot buy the convertible I really want. Has 290,000 miles on it, but looks practically showroom condition. Sure it costs money at the shop, but if you want cheap repairs, buy a cheap car. This is a top of the line automobile; the difference between living in a mansion or being satisfied with less.

The sound and feel upon acceleration are breath-taking! Inside luxury makes me feel on top of the world. The looks I get from the 7 on the trunk are nice. I also love all the convenience gadgets inside. Good sound system too.

Air conditioner doesn't get cold fast enough, or blow strong. Would like a directional compass, coded door locks and a better cup holder. What I really would love is if they offered this car in a convertible.

Great family car with plenty of power
By steve kleeberg

1995 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

This is the first 740i have owned, and it is just another great sign of German engineering. I have had some repairs but the car runs and drives better than some of the new cars I drive (I am an automotive technician for mitsubishi motors). This car has had the engine update at 60.000 miles, in the mean time we are at 113,000 miles. One complaint to BMW is the pixels going out in the odometer.

Runs and drives like a new car even at over 100,000 miles and 12 years old.

Pixels in display.

Enjoyable Ride
By tommoss

1995 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

This has been a most enjoyable car to own, albeit expensive to maintain. Road manners are great; this car is not nippy but nonethless has plenty of power when you need it. I had great fun driving through the mountains in the west and out performed every other car on the road through the twisting gradients. Loved the seating and the luxurious interior and the great sound system. The absence of a built in compass and no automatic headlight cut-off was disappointing. Just after having spent money on new electronic displays, cupholder, etc. have now had damage created by being hit by a flying deer. A new hood will cost me $1700. How much more money do I want to put into an 11-year old car?

Not worth it!
By Jbmw5

1995 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

After having numerous BMWs from different segments (3, 5 series) I decided to move up to the flagship: the 7 series. I should have realized before buying the car that there would be problems. The engine was just replaced by BMW b/c of a recall. I bought it with 36,000 miles and a warranty on the engine. However, 3 months after having the car the transmission failed! It costs me $5,000 for a rebuilt tranny and another $1200 to install it. The car was an electrical nightmare! I spent over $1,000 in just the electrical failures (windows, moonroof, seats switches) Although, it was fun to drive the costs of maintenance is not worth it. Stick with the 3 and 5 series!

The large body style, comfort, sound system, large rear seats.

I would suggest improvements in the engine, transmission, and eletrical since this series is notorious for these costly problems!

1995 740i engine problem
By puzzled

1995 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Excited about finally owning a BMW 740, when a year later the car stopped running. Since then, the car has been parked in my garage waiting for an $8,000.00 engine replacement. I learned that there is a problem with the engine which looses compression due to corrosion in the cylinders (this became a problem only in US because of the additives added in gasoline). BMW didn't take responsibility and should have replaced my engine free of charge. In fact, dealers which have BMW's with 4.0 engine that date from 94-96 should not sell them until they replace the engine. What puzzles me is why is this information hidden from the consumers?

Comfort, style & performance (when is running)

BMW noticed this problem and changed metal alloy used in cylinders after '96. I should get my engine repaired or replaced by BMW free of charge.