1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
Objective Review From A BMW Enthusiast
By Objective Review on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 1995 BMW 740i for approximately five years or so. I am an enthusiast, and possess expert level knowledge. CONS: When considering purchase, these factors apply to most regarding suitability- Accurate service history is a must, unless one is well versed, and an expert as well. All repairs on a vehicle this age are expensive. Are you a hands on "DIY" individual? Not all shops are reputable, & are sometimes not capable of making repairs to this car, regardless of their general knowledge. Given the overall depressed used auto market, one is hard pressed to find a better value than one of these. This car is loaded with greatness.

Expensive Car To Own
By Michael T on 06/08/10 14:04 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Do not buy this car unless you have about $1000 to spend per month in maintenance. You can lease a brand new car and have it covered under a warranty. I bought this car about 18 months ago from a guy that took very good car of the car, the oil was changed and the car very rarely left the driveway. In the last 12 months I have spent over $5000 on repairs that include new brake pads and rotors, new ac blower and condenser, new front suspension, new belts and pulleys, new water pump, new thermostat, new alternator and the radio still does not work. This car is great to drive and handles great on the highway but sucks down gas in the city and will only take 93 octane fuel. Do not buy this car!

hmm
By Jon on 03/05/10 19:57 PM (PST)

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Bought used, told it was fine. 137,000 miles, I knew I would have to do some maintenance. Well it needed water pump, radiator, belt, head gasket power steering hoses. Asked my local repair guy to do it all and I was out the door at $700. What can you say those are normal, even on a Honda with that many miles, and the Honda does not drive like this, nor does it have the room. This is my first 7 and it won't be my last, nothing like this

Do Your Homework
By USLawman on 07/13/09 08:29 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

The drip down problem with the Japan- made engine and the other problems you can expect between 70-120K miles are well documented on the internet. This is no joke, and you need to buy a used one that has had the maintenance or plan on some serious repair bills. Once you pass the hurtle, the car is trouble free - but it helps if you mechanically inclined enough to solve small problems without running to the shop. All that said, it is a wonderfully reliable car for those who stay on top of their car's condition.

Great family car with plenty of power
By steve kleeberg on 01/13/07 07:31 AM (PST)

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

This is the first 740i have owned, and it is just another great sign of German engineering. I have had some repairs but the car runs and drives better than some of the new cars I drive (I am an automotive technician for mitsubishi motors). This car has had the engine update at 60.000 miles, in the mean time we are at 113,000 miles. One complaint to BMW is the pixels going out in the odometer.

Enjoyable Ride
By tommoss on 11/15/06 17:01 PM (PST)

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

This has been a most enjoyable car to own, albeit expensive to maintain. Road manners are great; this car is not nippy but nonethless has plenty of power when you need it. I had great fun driving through the mountains in the west and out performed every other car on the road through the twisting gradients. Loved the seating and the luxurious interior and the great sound system. The absence of a built in compass and no automatic headlight cut-off was disappointing. Just after having spent money on new electronic displays, cupholder, etc. have now had damage created by being hit by a flying deer. A new hood will cost me $1700. How much more money do I want to put into an 11-year old car?

1995 740i engine problem
By puzzled on 08/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Excited about finally owning a BMW 740, when a year later the car stopped running. Since then, the car has been parked in my garage waiting for an $8,000.00 engine replacement. I learned that there is a problem with the engine which looses compression due to corrosion in the cylinders (this became a problem only in US because of the additives added in gasoline). BMW didn't take responsibility and should have replaced my engine free of charge. In fact, dealers which have BMW's with 4.0 engine that date from 94-96 should not sell them until they replace the engine. What puzzles me is why is this information hidden from the consumers?

1995 BMW 740i
By N.I.C on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

For a used car this is the best buy ever. This luxury car thinks it's a sports car & boy does it handle like one,with a 282-hp, 32-valve, 4.0-liter V8 engine. The leg & headroom is great for a sedan, with a nice aerodynamic look, this car reminds me of the MD80 or a small jet.It has the M.I.D. system (Multi Information Display)if you pass gas the onboard Computer will tell you..lol..If you get this car make sure it comes with a manual & it's like studying for a S.A.T Note: this isn't even the 740il with more features ...lol...If your a car lover a Bimmer is the way to go from the 3series on to the 7series it is a very sports like ride.

My 2c
By th34 on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

More smiles per mile then any other 4 door

Wonderful Automobile
By noworries on 05/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

This is the most wonderful car I've ever driven. It's so smooth and the power is right there. I feel very, very safe in this car. The premium sound system is fantastic. The interior is beautiful. There isn't one thing I don't like about this car, except maybe the fuel economy; but that's what you get with a big V8 engine!!