Used 1995 BMW 7 Series 740iL Sedan Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Rocket on 4 wheels
By Mike

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 740IL 2 years ago (my fav.car) to give to my wife. She and I are in love with this car. I can't speak more highly about the workmanship, the quality and the performance. The power of the V8 is extremely impressive and the sound it makes when you take a Mustang, Camaro, or even a Corvette off the line leaves them wondering what just happened to them. As of now we own 2 Bimmers the 95 740il and a 95 525i, these are our two favorite cars out of the 9 we own. With all of the said we have had to replace many parts and as of right now the 7 has to go in the shop due to the fact it will not start or even turn over, But I still love the car.

The V8 power, the true luxury of the interior, heated seats, wood all around, great sound system and, the way a beautiful BIG BLACK 7 turns everyones head.

When the car won't run you as an individual can not work on this car without a degree in engineering. And don't try to ask for help because no one but the dealership knows how to or can fix it.

Want a convertible, but can't let go!
By RJ

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

This is definitely a one of a kind! Almost 2 yrs now I've owned this devil of a car. I love it so much; I cannot buy the convertible I really want. Has 290,000 miles on it, but looks practically showroom condition. Sure it costs money at the shop, but if you want cheap repairs, buy a cheap car. This is a top of the line automobile; the difference between living in a mansion or being satisfied with less.

The sound and feel upon acceleration are breath-taking! Inside luxury makes me feel on top of the world. The looks I get from the 7 on the trunk are nice. I also love all the convenience gadgets inside. Good sound system too.

Air conditioner doesn't get cold fast enough, or blow strong. Would like a directional compass, coded door locks and a better cup holder. What I really would love is if they offered this car in a convertible.

Not worth it!
By Jbmw5

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

After having numerous BMWs from different segments (3, 5 series) I decided to move up to the flagship: the 7 series. I should have realized before buying the car that there would be problems. The engine was just replaced by BMW b/c of a recall. I bought it with 36,000 miles and a warranty on the engine. However, 3 months after having the car the transmission failed! It costs me $5,000 for a rebuilt tranny and another $1200 to install it. The car was an electrical nightmare! I spent over $1,000 in just the electrical failures (windows, moonroof, seats switches) Although, it was fun to drive the costs of maintenance is not worth it. Stick with the 3 and 5 series!

The large body style, comfort, sound system, large rear seats.

I would suggest improvements in the engine, transmission, and eletrical since this series is notorious for these costly problems!

Not Up the Mark
By alg863

The BMW is called the Ultimate Driving
Machine but the fine print should
be "Between Frequent Trips to the
Shop". We spent $12000 (yes, twelve
thousand) in repairs in about 2.5 years
on this car. We had the car for 5 years
between 48K miles and 82K miles. Even
during the warranty period the car had
several problems. It had to be towed
twice to the shop. In the end I lost
confidence in the car and traded it
immediately after spending almost $1500
in repairs.
As a luxury car, it was not great. The
automatic climate control was not up
the mark - generating hot and cold air
randomly. Even dealer experience was
poor - nothing compared to Lexus.

Comfort Seats, Sound system

It's an older car so I guess N/A.

So sweet
By Hxciter

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car from my Dad, he
bought it new, so I know the history.
It has 63,000 miles and feels as tight
as the day he took it home, quality is
awesome, down to the door sounding
solid when shut, and even how rigid the
turn signal lever feels. You cant put
this stuff into words until you drive
this thing. Quiet on the inside, the
heated seats heat up 3x as fast as my
new 2003 expedition, and for a hog of a
car it does move out. Love the way the
engine sounds too. Not one single
complaint. (although I have yet to have
major maintenace work done yet, so I am
unfamiliar with the cost of repairs.
i.e. brakes, etc.)

Too many, but I like the fact that you can hardly tell this one from a 2001. The styling is not yet dated for a 7-8 yr old car.

Auto Headlamp shut off/on. Stereo system is not accurate.(it sounds ok, but is too 'tinny' for my liking and no matter how I adjust EQ I cannot get it out. maybe it was meant for only jazz/classical music lovers.lol)