Used 1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Objective Review From A BMW Enthusiast
By Objective Review

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 1995 BMW 740i for approximately five years or so. I am an enthusiast, and possess expert level knowledge. CONS: When considering purchase, these factors apply to most regarding suitability- Accurate service history is a must, unless one is well versed, and an expert as well. All repairs on a vehicle this age are expensive. Are you a hands on "DIY" individual? Not all shops are reputable, & are sometimes not capable of making repairs to this car, regardless of their general knowledge. Given the overall depressed used auto market, one is hard pressed to find a better value than one of these. This car is loaded with greatness.

Favorite Features

PRO: A stunning, very safe, fun to drive vehicle-- even at 15 years old now- still a heck-of-a-lot better car than many new ones. Do your research on options, models, years to make an informed purchase. A favorite BMW I've owned- and I've driven them for 20+ years.

Suggested Improvements

Key considerations would be display pixel longevity, inferior design window regulators. Worth mentioning, the Nikasil block compound is a non-issue with the 4.0 engine at this point, if the vehicle runs smooth. These blocks are longer lasting, (used in racing) if not affected by the old fuel.

Expensive Car To Own
By Michael T

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Do not buy this car unless you have about $1000 to spend per month in maintenance. You can lease a brand new car and have it covered under a warranty. I bought this car about 18 months ago from a guy that took very good car of the car, the oil was changed and the car very rarely left the driveway. In the last 12 months I have spent over $5000 on repairs that include new brake pads and rotors, new ac blower and condenser, new front suspension, new belts and pulleys, new water pump, new thermostat, new alternator and the radio still does not work. This car is great to drive and handles great on the highway but sucks down gas in the city and will only take 93 octane fuel. Do not buy this car!

Favorite Features

Comfortable Car, great on the highway

Suggested Improvements

cheaper maintenance. Going broke trying to keep my car running.

hmm
By Jon

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Bought used, told it was fine. 137,000 miles, I knew I would have to do some maintenance. Well it needed water pump, radiator, belt, head gasket power steering hoses. Asked my local repair guy to do it all and I was out the door at $700. What can you say those are normal, even on a Honda with that many miles, and the Honda does not drive like this, nor does it have the room. This is my first 7 and it won't be my last, nothing like this

Favorite Features

everything

Suggested Improvements

that everyone had a mechanic that would not rip them off

Do Your Homework
By USLawman

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

The drip down problem with the Japan- made engine and the other problems you can expect between 70-120K miles are well documented on the internet. This is no joke, and you need to buy a used one that has had the maintenance or plan on some serious repair bills. Once you pass the hurtle, the car is trouble free - but it helps if you mechanically inclined enough to solve small problems without running to the shop. All that said, it is a wonderfully reliable car for those who stay on top of their car's condition.

Favorite Features

Nothing I've found with the same ride, look or features. Gas mileage is simply excellent if you are light on the pedal (26+ mpg), but if you drive it like a sports car then you will pay the price for accelerating that weight. Fantastic engineering and build quality.

Rocket on 4 wheels
By Mike

1995 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 740IL 2 years ago (my fav.car) to give to my wife. She and I are in love with this car. I can't speak more highly about the workmanship, the quality and the performance. The power of the V8 is extremely impressive and the sound it makes when you take a Mustang, Camaro, or even a Corvette off the line leaves them wondering what just happened to them. As of now we own 2 Bimmers the 95 740il and a 95 525i, these are our two favorite cars out of the 9 we own. With all of the said we have had to replace many parts and as of right now the 7 has to go in the shop due to the fact it will not start or even turn over, But I still love the car.

Favorite Features

The V8 power, the true luxury of the interior, heated seats, wood all around, great sound system and, the way a beautiful BIG BLACK 7 turns everyones head.

Suggested Improvements

When the car won't run you as an individual can not work on this car without a degree in engineering. And don't try to ask for help because no one but the dealership knows how to or can fix it.