Used 1995 BMW 7 Series 740iL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Rocket on 4 wheels
By Mike

1995 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 740IL 2 years ago (my fav.car) to give to my wife. She and I are in love with this car. I can't speak more highly about the workmanship, the quality and the performance. The power of the V8 is extremely impressive and the sound it makes when you take a Mustang, Camaro, or even a Corvette off the line leaves them wondering what just happened to them. As of now we own 2 Bimmers the 95 740il and a 95 525i, these are our two favorite cars out of the 9 we own. With all of the said we have had to replace many parts and as of right now the 7 has to go in the shop due to the fact it will not start or even turn over, But I still love the car.

Favorite Features

The V8 power, the true luxury of the interior, heated seats, wood all around, great sound system and, the way a beautiful BIG BLACK 7 turns everyones head.

Suggested Improvements

When the car won't run you as an individual can not work on this car without a degree in engineering. And don't try to ask for help because no one but the dealership knows how to or can fix it.

Want a convertible, but can't let go!
By RJ

1995 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

This is definitely a one of a kind! Almost 2 yrs now I've owned this devil of a car. I love it so much; I cannot buy the convertible I really want. Has 290,000 miles on it, but looks practically showroom condition. Sure it costs money at the shop, but if you want cheap repairs, buy a cheap car. This is a top of the line automobile; the difference between living in a mansion or being satisfied with less.

Favorite Features

The sound and feel upon acceleration are breath-taking! Inside luxury makes me feel on top of the world. The looks I get from the 7 on the trunk are nice. I also love all the convenience gadgets inside. Good sound system too.

Suggested Improvements

Air conditioner doesn't get cold fast enough, or blow strong. Would like a directional compass, coded door locks and a better cup holder. What I really would love is if they offered this car in a convertible.

Not worth it!
By Jbmw5

1995 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

After having numerous BMWs from different segments (3, 5 series) I decided to move up to the flagship: the 7 series. I should have realized before buying the car that there would be problems. The engine was just replaced by BMW b/c of a recall. I bought it with 36,000 miles and a warranty on the engine. However, 3 months after having the car the transmission failed! It costs me $5,000 for a rebuilt tranny and another $1200 to install it. The car was an electrical nightmare! I spent over $1,000 in just the electrical failures (windows, moonroof, seats switches) Although, it was fun to drive the costs of maintenance is not worth it. Stick with the 3 and 5 series!

Favorite Features

The large body style, comfort, sound system, large rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest improvements in the engine, transmission, and eletrical since this series is notorious for these costly problems!

Not Up the Mark
By alg863

1995 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

The BMW is called the Ultimate Driving Machine but the fine print should be "Between Frequent Trips to the Shop". We spent $12000 (yes, twelve thousand) in repairs in about 2.5 years on this car. We had the car for 5 years between 48K miles and 82K miles. Even during the warranty period the car had several problems. It had to be towed twice to the shop. In the end I lost confidence in the car and traded it immediately after spending almost $1500 in repairs. As a luxury car, it was not great. The automatic climate control was not up the mark - generating hot and cold air randomly. Even dealer experience was poor - nothing compared to Lexus.

Favorite Features

Comfort Seats, Sound system

Suggested Improvements

It's an older car so I guess N/A.

So sweet
By Hxciter

1995 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car from my Dad, he bought it new, so I know the history. It has 63,000 miles and feels as tight as the day he took it home, quality is awesome, down to the door sounding solid when shut, and even how rigid the turn signal lever feels. You cant put this stuff into words until you drive this thing. Quiet on the inside, the heated seats heat up 3x as fast as my new 2003 expedition, and for a hog of a car it does move out. Love the way the engine sounds too. Not one single complaint. (although I have yet to have major maintenace work done yet, so I am unfamiliar with the cost of repairs. i.e. brakes, etc.)

Favorite Features

Too many, but I like the fact that you can hardly tell this one from a 2001. The styling is not yet dated for a 7-8 yr old car.

Suggested Improvements

Auto Headlamp shut off/on. Stereo system is not accurate.(it sounds ok, but is too 'tinny' for my liking and no matter how I adjust EQ I cannot get it out. maybe it was meant for only jazz/classical music lovers.lol)