1995 BMW 7 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:
Objective Review From A BMW Enthusiast
By Objective Review on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 1995 BMW 740i for approximately five years or so. I am an enthusiast, and possess expert level knowledge. CONS: When considering purchase, these factors apply to most regarding suitability- Accurate service history is a must, unless one is well versed, and an expert as well. All repairs on a vehicle this age are expensive. Are you a hands on "DIY" individual? Not all shops are reputable, & are sometimes not capable of making repairs to this car, regardless of their general knowledge. Given the overall depressed used auto market, one is hard pressed to find a better value than one of these. This car is loaded with greatness.

Expensive Car To Own
By Michael T on 06/08/10 14:04 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Do not buy this car unless you have about $1000 to spend per month in maintenance. You can lease a brand new car and have it covered under a warranty. I bought this car about 18 months ago from a guy that took very good car of the car, the oil was changed and the car very rarely left the driveway. In the last 12 months I have spent over $5000 on repairs that include new brake pads and rotors, new ac blower and condenser, new front suspension, new belts and pulleys, new water pump, new thermostat, new alternator and the radio still does not work. This car is great to drive and handles great on the highway but sucks down gas in the city and will only take 93 octane fuel. Do not buy this car!

hmm
By Jon on 03/05/10 19:57 PM (PST)

1995 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Bought used, told it was fine. 137,000 miles, I knew I would have to do some maintenance. Well it needed water pump, radiator, belt, head gasket power steering hoses. Asked my local repair guy to do it all and I was out the door at $700. What can you say those are normal, even on a Honda with that many miles, and the Honda does not drive like this, nor does it have the room. This is my first 7 and it won't be my last, nothing like this

Do Your Homework
By USLawman on 07/13/09 08:29 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

The drip down problem with the Japan- made engine and the other problems you can expect between 70-120K miles are well documented on the internet. This is no joke, and you need to buy a used one that has had the maintenance or plan on some serious repair bills. Once you pass the hurtle, the car is trouble free - but it helps if you mechanically inclined enough to solve small problems without running to the shop. All that said, it is a wonderfully reliable car for those who stay on top of their car's condition.

Rocket on 4 wheels
By Mike on 01/16/09 16:14 PM (PST)

1995 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 740IL 2 years ago (my fav.car) to give to my wife. She and I are in love with this car. I can't speak more highly about the workmanship, the quality and the performance. The power of the V8 is extremely impressive and the sound it makes when you take a Mustang, Camaro, or even a Corvette off the line leaves them wondering what just happened to them. As of now we own 2 Bimmers the 95 740il and a 95 525i, these are our two favorite cars out of the 9 we own. With all of the said we have had to replace many parts and as of right now the 7 has to go in the shop due to the fact it will not start or even turn over, But I still love the car.

Want a convertible, but can't let go!
By RJ on 09/27/07 00:20 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

This is definitely a one of a kind! Almost 2 yrs now I've owned this devil of a car. I love it so much; I cannot buy the convertible I really want. Has 290,000 miles on it, but looks practically showroom condition. Sure it costs money at the shop, but if you want cheap repairs, buy a cheap car. This is a top of the line automobile; the difference between living in a mansion or being satisfied with less.

Great family car with plenty of power
By steve kleeberg on 01/13/07 07:31 AM (PST)

1995 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

This is the first 740i have owned, and it is just another great sign of German engineering. I have had some repairs but the car runs and drives better than some of the new cars I drive (I am an automotive technician for mitsubishi motors). This car has had the engine update at 60.000 miles, in the mean time we are at 113,000 miles. One complaint to BMW is the pixels going out in the odometer.

Enjoyable Ride
By tommoss on 11/15/06 17:01 PM (PST)

1995 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

This has been a most enjoyable car to own, albeit expensive to maintain. Road manners are great; this car is not nippy but nonethless has plenty of power when you need it. I had great fun driving through the mountains in the west and out performed every other car on the road through the twisting gradients. Loved the seating and the luxurious interior and the great sound system. The absence of a built in compass and no automatic headlight cut-off was disappointing. Just after having spent money on new electronic displays, cupholder, etc. have now had damage created by being hit by a flying deer. A new hood will cost me $1700. How much more money do I want to put into an 11-year old car?

Not worth it!
By Jbmw5 on 05/04/05 02:05 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

After having numerous BMWs from different segments (3, 5 series) I decided to move up to the flagship: the 7 series. I should have realized before buying the car that there would be problems. The engine was just replaced by BMW b/c of a recall. I bought it with 36,000 miles and a warranty on the engine. However, 3 months after having the car the transmission failed! It costs me $5,000 for a rebuilt tranny and another $1200 to install it. The car was an electrical nightmare! I spent over $1,000 in just the electrical failures (windows, moonroof, seats switches) Although, it was fun to drive the costs of maintenance is not worth it. Stick with the 3 and 5 series!

1995 740i engine problem
By puzzled on 08/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

Excited about finally owning a BMW 740, when a year later the car stopped running. Since then, the car has been parked in my garage waiting for an $8,000.00 engine replacement. I learned that there is a problem with the engine which looses compression due to corrosion in the cylinders (this became a problem only in US because of the additives added in gasoline). BMW didn't take responsibility and should have replaced my engine free of charge. In fact, dealers which have BMW's with 4.0 engine that date from 94-96 should not sell them until they replace the engine. What puzzles me is why is this information hidden from the consumers?