Used 1994 BMW 7 Series 740iL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Built to last
By TF

1994 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I drove this 94 old body 740il from 130,000 to 170,000 with no issues. The body and finish look new (thanks BMW). The chrome perfect. Body rubber is pliable. Plastic door handle seals and BMW badge aging are the only blemish - both cheap replacements. Fuel economy is still 24 mpg on the highway - unreal for a 14 y V8. Build product quality on this 740il is superior to the 200x year MBs I shop for. I run 10% ethanol without a problem at 148 mph - no problem - it was in its element. Starts immediately - engine is smooth and quiet. Parts prices are not high and low maintenance you can do all yourself. Best car ever made? It just might be.

Favorite Features

Durability, economy value for price, build quality, quiet ride, power to pass, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the flex drive cable system for the power seats with something that does not shorten up. Only an $8 repair but takes time.

It's the ultimate driving machine
By ryan

1994 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used with a mileage of 75,000. This is the best car I have ever had. I love to drive this car especially on freeways because it have a lot of power in it. It's very comfortable to drive no matter how far your going. I love the engine its very reponsive, have a lot of power and very quiet. I love the looks, the projector headlamps to the roller sunblinds. This is the best BMW 7 series ever made.

Favorite Features

Every feature it has I love it from the projector headlamps, autoadjust sidemirrors when you shift into reverse, heated seats, servotronic, raintronic, to the roller sunblinds.

Suggested Improvements

It doesnt need any improvement.

94 740iL
By pogi

1994 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

very reliable,I only bring it to the dealer for regular service.The ride is very comfortable, engine is very quiet.Suspension is very good.

Favorite Features

very sporty handling and very responsive. I like the servotronic steering control at highspeed. Very tight construction. Engine very responsive and it has a lot of power.

Suggested Improvements

does not need any improvements I think BMW made perfect This is one thier best model E32

Be aware of engine trouble
By Unpleasant Surprise

1994 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

I like the car a lot, but this one (year and model)is susceptible to an engine problem created by certain additives in US gasoline. The additives pit the cylinders. The engine needs to be replaced and is not fully covered by BMW.

Suggested Improvements

Add cup holders

just the best
By pace

1994 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan

this is the most awsome vehicle i have ever owned. Its a bit slow off the line but onece its moving (hold on) drives and handles like its glued to the road If you can afford to maintain and repair this beast it is truly the ultimate driving machine this one has 145000 miles and still looks new

Favorite Features

smooth engine and transmission drives and handles exceptionally well

Suggested Improvements

extremely high maintnance costs replacement parts must be made of gold for what they cost