Used 1990 BMW 7 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

25 YEAR OLD 735
By scary71@gmail.com

1990 BMW 7 Series Sedan 735i 4dr Sedan

I wanted one of these since I was 18. 43 now and finally found one. One owner. A literal barn find. Purchased in May of 2015. Stored inside, parked since 09. After an oil & trans fluid change, as well as general and thorough tune up, I gently started driving her around. A few quirks popped up right away...mostly electrical. After pulling the modules located in the engine compartment and cleaning all the contacts, all electrical oddness disappeared. These vehicles are very sensitive to incorrect voltage. Clean, clean and clean again all the connections you can get to. Good idea to check all your vacuum lines and fuel lines as well. Couple of complaints. ..by no means are these a deal breaker. No cup holders, no tilt wheel with the air bag equipped versions. Love the fancy cassette deck. Brightest darn headlights ever. Love the big cars. Grew up driving USA made 60s and 70s luxury barges, so this is right where I like to be. A bit more refined. Very quick and nimble for a 4000lb vehicle. Overall super cool. Steer clear if you're not a car guy though. These are older and will need work. Suspension for sure. Heavy cars=hard on your suspension and steering components. I could go on. ..and on. Again, overall super awesome and rad!

UPDATE:
Been driving this almost a year. It's the middle of winter here. Overall, still not bad. I can say the traction in the deeper snow isn't all that. By deeper snow I mean 4" plus. Driving traction isn't the killer, it's the acceleration traction. Take it easy, don't spin the wheels. Use the trans 321 gear selectors. Yes, I did put 4 brand new tires on it in May. Hankook vs2 I believe. I also run with the specified winter ballast weight in the trunk. After all , it is a RWD vehicle. Maybe look for one with the optional traction control if you're put off by this.

I've had two issues crop up in the past year. Again, if you do your homework, you'll see these are typical issues with these vehicle and I'm not holding it against the vehicle itself. Leaking radiator (common to crack at the inlet/outlet) the "shimmy" or "wobble" so I'll be replacing those worn control arms as weather permits. Along with the radiator. No biggie. Both jobs look pretty simple.

Worst mistake I ever made
By Brendan Kelly

1990 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

OK, so I bought a 1990 Car in 2014 and it had 200,000 miles on it. It was only $2000 so I paid cash, and I trusted the guy who sold it to me. It has been in the shop so much that in the past 9 months I have only put 3000 miles on it.
I didn't expect it to be perfect, I new it would take some work, but this has been ruinous for me. $800 for a windshied came with the $2000 price, but I've put in about $4000 of work on the thing. I'm honestly terrified to drive it lest something else break. It has dumped it's coolant all over the freeway, it has caught fire, it has stopped moving in traffic at rush hour, the air conditioning doesn't work.
I expected things to break but the problem is all the pieces that break are old and specialized. They are hard to find. If this was an old Ford I could get parts at a junkyard, but these have to come from Germany sometimes.

best car yet
By bmw spokesmen

1990 BMW 7 Series Sedan 735i 4dr Sedan

well first off i live this car best experience yet drives great for having so much mileage on the car had the car a few months maintenance was kept up to date. very fast car never have problems going around people on the high way.

the best thing i would say is the trip screen some 2000 cars aren't even up to date with this technology tells you every thing that is wrong. have you ever got out the car and forgot to roll up the windows? well just turn the key to the right it watch it roll every window up along with sunroof.

cupholders,better interior design could have helped, better standard wheels (bigger) built lower to the ground.

Fine leather (reqs reg. care) everywhere
By Bob

1990 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

I couldn't resist discounted price of 12 cents on dollar compared to new price for 12 yr. old BMW in almost perfect condition in/out, & only 106K miles on clock. Yes, gas is a downside with avg. of 16/22, but car makes you grin every time you drive. Handles like a dream, lane changes at speed are a trip!!! I do my own work on it, manual and multimeter in hand. Wish I had small hands, only minimal space under bonnet. Devil of time tracking cooling leak (hole in the coolant resevoir); A/C went 1 year after purchase; torque conv. crashed after 3 years, otherwise very few problems. Aftermarket parts abound with research, but still PRICEY. Styling is timeless. Luxury and POWER!!

A favorite feature must be the handling. For a big heavy car, it drives and moves like a much smaller sports car. The huge back seat area is perfect for passenger comfort. The powerful V-12 is still the very best feature. Put your foot into it and everyone else is in your rearview mirrow.

More access to technical data. BMW restricts data from everyone, except Bentley Publishing, so you are forced to take car to them for repair, find a specialist in BMWs, or do the work yourself. Other foreign MFGR's moving in this direction, too, which a shame for those of us who like DIY.

A great car but watch out!
By ED

1990 BMW 7 Series Sedan 750iL 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car back in 2001 and it has been pretty good for us. Things have gone out include a bearing on the water pump a crack in one of the fuel lines which caused it to drip on the exhaust headers! And various electrical gremlins have plagged the car but other than those it has been a great car. Very fast for its size. Mine is a 90 and it has things like a 6 disc cd changer and all power seats and a completely electronic engine. Others have had a lot more things go worng so my adive is if your not a car person you'll become one. Dealer charges way too much and i have found many helpgul sites for making repairs. Overall do some research before buying.

That 12 is a beast. Hits 60 in about 6.5 seconds and that aint bad for its size. Things like intermittent wipers and a self leveling suspension are prett cool!

Reliability. I have not had as many problems as others have had. Gas mileage but i find driving in economy rather than sport will really increase your mpg's. i am getiing roughly 17.5-18 mpg driving in economy. Other than that this car holds up to todays standards for luxury.