2012 BMW 6 Series Consumer Review: The 2012 BMW 650i is UNSAFE to

2012 BMW 6 Series Convertible - Consumer Review

The 2012 BMW 650i is UNSAFE to drive in a thunderstorm.
By donotbuybmw on

2012 BMW 6 Series 650i 2dr Convertible (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

The 2012 BMW 650i is UNSAFE to drive in a thunderstorm. I was driving North on Interstate 95 in the left lane at approximately 70 mph when I observed lightning strike about 200 feet ahead of me and to the right of the road. Almost all electrical functionality ceased operation immediately, including the engine and the power steering. Dozens of cars closer to the lightning than me were unaffected. The car has been in the BMW repair shop since July 22, 2011 (53 days and counting). Lightning did NOT strike the car. I observed and heard only one flash and thunderclap. The cloth convertible top is in pristine condition.

convertible top

Design electronics to withstand everyday driving conditions in Florida. The BMW website says: "There is no end to our quest for the next innovation. And it's not just about greater power and more efficient performance. It's also about safety. We prepare our vehicles to expect the unexpected." BMW needs to also prepare their vehicles for the EXPECTED.