Used 2012 BMW 6 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 BMW 6 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 Series model:

Fun to drive but burns oil and idles rough
By getngo

2012 BMW 6 Series Coupe 650i 2dr Coupe (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

I brought a brand new factory ordered 2012 650i 8 speed automatic with heads up display and drivers assist package and LED headlights-sport packaged 20 inch rims with manufacture date 11/2011. Fun to drive with nice design in/out until the low oil level indicator warning came on at 3248 odometer miles. Classic BMW dealership where I bought the car told me it was normal even though the car had short lived 1-2 sec of clanking noice on cold start and rough idle, evident with bottle water in cup holder. Dealership put one quart of oil. 3200 miles later I am low on oil again. Dealership put another quart of oil. Again I am back for 3rd quart of oil at 2794 miles later with 9610 odometer miles!

Heads up display and drivers assist package. The views from the cameras will help you from scraping wheels and fromt spoilers. 8 speed automatic allows me to cruise 77 mph at 2000 rpm. LED headlights with front only LED turn signal lights (like previous old 2008-2010 650 series). LED fog lights. Fun to drive!

Excessive oil consumption for a 4.4 liter engine, even with a modest twin turbo over previous 4.8 liter naturally aspirated engine and only 40 more horsepower to show. Rough idle on with transmission on park or drive. Put a bottled water in the cup holder and check. If that bothers someone then get the B&O stereo upgrade to mask the rough idle. Shorted lived clanking noise from the exhaust on cold start best heard by leaving the drivers door open. Rear tail-light not evenly bright on the trunk portion and the corner portion. No auto trunk closing option.

Wonderful combination of attributes
By doctorevil2

2012 BMW 6 Series Coupe 650i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

The new 650 is surely a GT but it seems like more to me. I can explain best via comparison. It handles and pulls better than my Aston Martin. The cabin is richer than all but 65-level AMG cars. Technical geekiness is on par with a 911. On the other hand, it is not a rare British sculpture but it will have much greater reliability. It is not an S65 but feels better and costs way less. It is surely no 911 in terms of handling, but styling and grace, and lack of pretentious attitude give it the nod. I was ready for a less-involved driving experience, and the 650 is perfect. It is a demanding ride only until I am ready to just relax. I used to need 2 different cars for that.

Seat, smooth available power, geek gadgets, performance that my woe can drive more easily than a 911 or V8 Vantage.

Will add Dinan engine mod for a total of 501 up. So, it'll be an AWD M6 when Im done