Used 2012 BMW 6 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Bmw 6-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 Series model:

Disappointing
By randzz

2012 BMW 6 Series 640i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

My 640I was the worst car I ever owned. The computer system went out causing the vehicle to malfunction. They replaced it. The windows would not go up in the rain. They tried to fix it but continued to be a problem. The navigation system is the worst. I got tired of all the problems and traded it in at 7000 miles. While driving it to the Chevy dealership to trade it in the computer system went blank and 1 at a time all the systems went black. Absolutely the worst car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

The car is beautiful and when it worked it was fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The entire car needs to be improved because of numerous malfunctions.

Fun to drive but burns oil and idles rough
By getngo

2012 BMW 6 Series 650i 2dr Coupe (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

I brought a brand new factory ordered 2012 650i 8 speed automatic with heads up display and drivers assist package and LED headlights-sport packaged 20 inch rims with manufacture date 11/2011. Fun to drive with nice design in/out until the low oil level indicator warning came on at 3248 odometer miles. Classic BMW dealership where I bought the car told me it was normal even though the car had short lived 1-2 sec of clanking noice on cold start and rough idle, evident with bottle water in cup holder. Dealership put one quart of oil. 3200 miles later I am low on oil again. Dealership put another quart of oil. Again I am back for 3rd quart of oil at 2794 miles later with 9610 odometer miles!

Favorite Features

Heads up display and drivers assist package. The views from the cameras will help you from scraping wheels and fromt spoilers. 8 speed automatic allows me to cruise 77 mph at 2000 rpm. LED headlights with front only LED turn signal lights (like previous old 2008-2010 650 series). LED fog lights. Fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Excessive oil consumption for a 4.4 liter engine, even with a modest twin turbo over previous 4.8 liter naturally aspirated engine and only 40 more horsepower to show. Rough idle on with transmission on park or drive. Put a bottled water in the cup holder and check. If that bothers someone then get the B&O stereo upgrade to mask the rough idle. Shorted lived clanking noise from the exhaust on cold start best heard by leaving the drivers door open. Rear tail-light not evenly bright on the trunk portion and the corner portion. No auto trunk closing option.

Wonderful combination of attributes
By doctorevil2

2012 BMW 6 Series 650i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

The new 650 is surely a GT but it seems like more to me. I can explain best via comparison. It handles and pulls better than my Aston Martin. The cabin is richer than all but 65-level AMG cars. Technical geekiness is on par with a 911. On the other hand, it is not a rare British sculpture but it will have much greater reliability. It is not an S65 but feels better and costs way less. It is surely no 911 in terms of handling, but styling and grace, and lack of pretentious attitude give it the nod. I was ready for a less-involved driving experience, and the 650 is perfect. It is a demanding ride only until I am ready to just relax. I used to need 2 different cars for that.

Favorite Features

Seat, smooth available power, geek gadgets, performance that my woe can drive more easily than a 911 or V8 Vantage.

Suggested Improvements

Will add Dinan engine mod for a total of 501 up. So, it'll be an AWD M6 when Im done

Awesome
By nautictalk

2012 BMW 6 Series 650i 2dr Convertible (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

I currently own a 750il and a Range Rover Supercharged. And I have had other vehicles like the Mercedes 320CLK convertible. But I must say, next to the RR, the new 650 convertible is the best car I have ever owned. I wanted the 2011 model, but felt it was just a tad too small for me. But the enlarged the new model signficantly and redesigned many signficant features. It drives like a big car and a sports car. Its sexy and really fun to drive. Very fast and love the rumble of the exhaust. The app option is great as I can listen to Pandora on my iPhone Very fast. And if you set the ride to comfort, it drives smooth and comfy. More so than the 750i. I highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

App option, big trunk, exhaust sound, size, design

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if you could access other informative iPhone apps.

Thoroughly Impressed!
By porsche_05

2012 BMW 6 Series 650i 2dr Convertible (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

I traded in my M3 convertible and purchased the 2012 650i. I went with the M3 in 2008 because the design of the previous model was just not to my taste but the 2012 model definitely turns heads. The 650 isnít the sports car the M3 was, but it more than makes it up in comfort and design. Donít get me wrong, the 4.4-liter, 32-valve 400-hp V-8 engine with TwinPower Turbo is plenty enough for any road in the US (excluding race tracks) for most drivers and enthusiasts. It is definitely a great balance of power, performance, gadgetry, and style. Much better than the previous model.

Favorite Features

Esthetics. It just looks good.

Suggested Improvements

Hard Top Convertible