Used 2007 BMW 6 Series 650i Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 BMW 6 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

650i 4.8L V8 6-speed Manual - (4 reviews )

the '07 ages well
By LAThombo

2007 BMW 6 Series Coupe 650i 2dr Coupe (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I picked up an '07 650i coupe for $51K, plus trade in of a '99 M3 with 80K miles on it. The 650 is a delight (sure, you say, what wouldn't be compared to the rusty horse I'd been riding), and in unexpected ways. The seats envelope in a way superior to those in the 2009 MB CL I rented and are far superior to those in the Carerra. The engine sound is of elegant fortitude, the handling pugnacious when demanded but otherwise smooth and flat-out fun. The sports mode is a bit jerky at times, but darn quick off the line (the normal mode, which my wife dubs 'the macher mode,' is far less responsive to the pedal stomp yet very smooth). I feel very safe in it, although the A-pillar obscures a bit.

The engine - cool, confident rumbles; you just know this car will jam. And the body style. Some hate it; most love it. I've been repeatedly complimented on the look of the machine. The sound system is superb (though for my tastes it could use a bit more bass in the back). The seats: perfect.

The "wart" is a problem. It takes a while to master and it isn't intuitive (I understand many of the issues have been fixed with the '10 model). The nav system is great in theory, but if you make a mistake inputting an address, you must go back to start. Cool night vision feature never works well.

Severe problems in manual mode
By yohjo

2007 BMW 6 Series Coupe 650i 2dr Coupe (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

The 650 has what BMW calls an "inherent characteristic." If you drive in "manual" shift mode the vehicle is prone to stuttering when coming to a stop. Imagine your head bobbing back and forth like a doll on the dashboard. The vehicle is also prone to severe lunges when driving in m1 (such as you might in a parking garage looking for a spot or while moving forward in a metered freeway on ramp) and to a lesser extent in automatic. The lunges are dangerous and you must drive defensively at 4 miles per hour. BMW states the problem is with the software-it thinks the engine is stalling and the computer gives the engine throttle. BMW won't fix the problem. Stay away from this vehicle.

But for the severe problems I have noted the vehicle is fun to drive.

Fix the stutters & lunges. It is ridiculous to characterize the problems as a "characteristic" of the car.

You will not be disappointed
By Mac

2007 BMW 6 Series Coupe 650i 2dr Coupe (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Went for a drive in the country last weekend and all I can say is WOW! Car was rock solid at 110 and when passing a car it was still pushing me back in the seat at 80. Has all the torque you would ever need. Soft leather seats and a well laid out interior. The exhaust rumble make you want to drive it. This car is a keeper.

Powerful styling and comfort at speed.

Make the iDrive a little easier to understand.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Chuck

2007 BMW 6 Series Coupe 650i 2dr Coupe (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Although I've only had my 650i for a week or so, I am already impressed with the quality and feel of such a high performance, luxury coupe. It has plenty of power and very stable handling. My last car was an '05 Porsche Carrera. This BMW is much more luxurous and as much fun to drive without all of the bumps of a much stiffer suspension. Beautiful lines, classy interior, and the iDrive isn't at all that hard to use once I spent some time with it. I'm very pleased with my choice.

Styling and looks, very classy car, inside and out.

Cup holder was an afterthought. Sliding roof would be great.