Used 2007 BMW 6 Series 650i Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Bmw 6-series - Consumer Reviews

650i 4.8L V8 6-speed Manual - (17 reviews )

Fun everyday
By jspeith

2007 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I have put about 2000 miles on this car in a month. This car begs to be driven hard. It does everything asked of it and more. The gurgle of the engine is the sweetest sound I've heard. It has added a smile to my face everyday since I bought it. Pure fun. The car is extremely comfortable for two, tolerable for four. It is extremely smooth. Handling is superb especially in sport mode. It corners like it's on rails. The best display of power is between 60 and 100 mph. I was a little hesitant to buy a car with such a haughty image in a fairly conservative Midwest town but after driving it I don't care what anyone thinks. This thing is heaven on wheels!

Favorite Features

The cabin with the top up is as quiet as any hard top. The top drops with ease in seconds and accentuates the beautiful sound of the engine and exhaust. The seats are extremely comfortable, the steering is precise and responsive. Idrive is a little slow to respond at times but nav is good, stereo is excellent and the features are all easily reached with a little practice. Exterior look of the car is great and gets better the more you look at it. Many second looks and comments.

Suggested Improvements

Auto start would be nice. Idrive improvements in new model I understand has improved considerably. Overall no complaints.

Convertable Top
By whitford

2007 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I bought my 650i in 9/16/2009 with 3864 miles at a reasonable price.I now have 24,500 miles on it. I love the cars looks, styling and driveablilty. My problem is the convertable top censor. I have had it to the dealership and they have been great, but they cannot find out what is causing the problem. I have had it to the dealer on at least five separate occasions, it works for a while and then the sensor shows the top is not closed properly. It started again today. Any ideas. I want to keep the car but I think I have a lemon.

Smooth and Powerful Convertible!
By GregB

2007 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I bought the convertible three weeks ago and after 1500 miles I have to say that this is one sweet and powerful performance machine. Around the city, the gearing and torque make the ride seamless, and on the highway the car has a blacktop-eating ride that wants to run much faster than the law allows. Very happy with my CPO purchase - the car had depreciated $50K+ in three years, so with the extended CPO warranty to 100K miles and with BMW NA including free no-cost maintenance out to 100K miles as a sales incentive, it also fits the bill from a value standpoint. sweet convertible that gets many a look

Favorite Features

I like the many different features and functionality - very smart car that has it all (but the idrive must be explored for awhile in the driveway to learn). Besides the power/torque, I do enjoy the heated steering wheel/seats in cool weather with top down. The wife enjoys the wind deflectors.

Suggested Improvements

one-touch automatic access to rear seats would be nice (existing automatic adjustment with pressing button and using latch a little unwieldy).

Rear suspention problems
By Viken

2007 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Overall is a great car don't get me wrong. im been an BMW enthusiast for years but the dealer can't fix the wear of the rear tires on the inside. They want me to do alignment and put new set of tires at 22000 miles at my expense! Thats the reason i purchased a $80,000 car on the first place, insane.

Favorite Features

The car is an excellent piece of engineering (except for the rear suspension)

Suggested Improvements

Use the rear suspension of a Buick so at least the tires will last more than 22,000 miles!

Unlike any other car....
By Jay V.

2007 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I looked at every "similar" vehicle - Porsche 911 and Cayman, SL-Class - but just couldn't find the right fit. I am so pleased with my decision! The car has enough "sporty-ness" to feel like a performance car, but without the harshness or diminutive stature of so many other "sports cars" (I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs). To say that it is in a class of its own is too trite, but there really isn't anything comparable. Thus far it's been a whole lot of fun. I'll let you know what long-term ownership is like.

Favorite Features

Substantial agility despite its size. Unparallelled fit and finish. Unbelievable technology throughout the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Not a huge fan of the way the brakes "anticipate" a quick stop. In traffic if you flutter the accelerator, the brakes will frequently "grab" thinking you're about to get into an accident. It ends up almost feeling like a stutter.