First Month Review
By E. Unger on
2006 BMW 6 Series 650i 2dr Coupe (4.8L 8cyl 6M)
Overall this car has been great fun to drive--a great performer with solid construction. The big V8 provides ample acceleration to dust away those pesky Mustangs. The interior treats the driver and a single passenger to indulgent comfort, but back seat passenger = contortionist. Style, comfort, acceleration, fit and finish all get high marks. Less impressive is BMW's implementation of the iDrive interface, with special admonishment for the MP3 system's inadequate display of song information. Stalwart critics of the Bangle Butt have a point, but are typically so far behind me in traffic that I can't hear them. This is a car that demands attention while putting the driver in command.
Favorite Features
At first, the nav system mesmerized me. I was especially impressed by its ability to locate obscure targets in rural areas of CA. Then I got the car on the highway. The acceleration is unbelievable from 60-90, comparable to a 2001 M5. I love driving this car; solid as the 7-series, much faster
Suggested Improvements
BMW must improve its information systems. The display has adequate resolution to show essential information about songs, whether MP3, Sat, or FM. Also, BMW should consult with an interface expert--I still balk at having to go three menus deep to accomplish anything. iDrive needs faster processor.