Used 2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Bmw 6-series - Consumer Reviews

2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible

650i 4.8L V8 6-speed Manual - (22 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Incredible value
By adp

2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I got my 650i convertible with most options in mid-June and it was delivered flawless and has been flawless in the first 2000 miles. The iDrive is easy to use, although boot-up sometimes takes a while. A few minutes with the manuals is worth the time. The 650 is very well balanced and after break-in seems to get better mileage and has better response. I have owned more expensive cars that do not come close to this one dynamically or stylistically . It is not the fastest car, but it is fast enough for me. Lots of compliments on the design. When compared to cars costing over $20000 more the 650 comes out on top, IMO.

Favorite Features

Well balanced, excellent power response, especially in Sport mode, styling, driving position is excpetionally good, although top-up visibility to the rear quarters requires full attention. The head-up display is a surprisingly helpful invention and is a must option. Sound system is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

More memory for iDrive to speed its operation. Electrically folding ext. rear view mirrors and electrically asisted soft-close feature for doors would be nice.

What a rush
By jrsatty

2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

From the moment I got in, it was and is an experience I look forward to every time I use the car. My only two complaints are 1) the seatbelt is uncomfortable (what one isn't) 2) A slight hesitation off the line. Otherwise an exhilarating and awesome experience.

Favorite Features

One touch convertible is unbeatable and the car is really quiet when the top is up.

Suggested Improvements

Change the seatbelt and make the transmission a little smoother off the line.

It's been fun
By Ernie Loynaz

2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

After my 4-years with the SC430 from Lexus, I was unhappy with its soft steering - heard the purr of the 650's engine and fell in love - at last the muscle car I could not afford as a teenager, with the class that comes with maturity (OK agreed - if I was so mature, I wouldn't care - right?).

Favorite Features

Handling, sound of the engine, Heads-Up display, keyless entry, the freedom of a convertible. Even today, I get a lot of great compliments about the car - it has a very elegant look - it'd be a definite killer with a hard top.

Suggested Improvements

The car was for the most part, very relaible, but once in a while, the interface would go bonkers - nothing to die for. The Service at South Motors has improved, BUT at first, they were VERY annoying - asked for a 5 rating, everywhere, but did nothing to earn it; they've improved. NEEDS HARD TOP.

The most amazing car to drive
By Elle R,

2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

This car has it all: amazing power (360 hp), exceptionally comfortable seating, ever bell and whistle (every single one!), sexy exterior, and it's a convertible. You will love it... I certainly do!

Favorite Features

Bluetooth phone integration, voice recognition, iPod input, POWER, convertible, sexy look, great seats, neat key/start feature, front and rear sensors

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage... and if it could wash itself :)

BMW 650i Convertible
By monteshere

2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

After driving a Lexus SC430 for 6 years, the only other reasonably priced car that caught my eye was the Beemer 650i Convertible. I was sold the minute I test drove it. My biggest concern was wind noise through the soft-top. That concern evaporated at 110mph on the freeway. This car is quieter than the Lexus with a hard top!!! Secondly, the car excellerates very well. Almost as well as my '66 Big Block Vette (but it's far quieter). I do miss the 4-speed shifting, but the sport mode while in the manual shift mode makes up for the need to clutch. This car handles like a dream. Lexus, take note: When you hard steer into a corner, the tires don't even while a bit. I love this car!!!

Favorite Features

Comfortable Front Seats, Power!!! Handling!!!

Suggested Improvements

None, I'd have to drive the 2013 to see what they have done already. I know the HP has been boosted to 440HP.