Used 2006 BMW 6 Series 650i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 Series model:

Better than expected
By Bob

2006 BMW 6 Series 650i 2dr Coupe (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I love this car. Driving it is even better than I imagined it would be as I waited for it to arrive.

Favorite Features

speed, comfort, iDrive, exterior style, and the logic 7 sound system is excellant

Suggested Improvements

difficult to see some of the gauges. I admit to not paying much attention to them even if I could see them clearly.

Awesome car!
By gregvdv

2006 BMW 6 Series 650i 2dr Coupe (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

If you can afford this car and want a FAST, great handling coupe, go buy one. My old BMW doesn't even compare to this car. You won't see very many on the road and heads will turn when you drive by. I can't say enough great things about this car.

Favorite Features

Speed, handling, stereo, navigation, comfort access option, heated seats, etc.,etc.,etc.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders, More rear leg room.

Close to Perfect
By DrChrisHall

2006 BMW 6 Series 650i 2dr Coupe (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this car because I wanted to know what it was like to drive on the autobahns of Germany at speeds they were intended for, and the 650i lets me do that. I haven't had to pull over to the right lane for anyone yet. The acceleration, whether starting from a stop or at 100 mph, pulls you into the back of your seat. Merging and passing is effortless. The car grips the road at top speed (157 mph), around corners, or even on wet surfaces. It makes you feel almost too safe..... I used to be a Mercedes guy, but I have definitely switched. This car drives so nicely and smoothly, has such a simple elegance inside, and turns heads because of its awesome exterior. I am 100% satisfied!

Favorite Features

Bluetooth phone system works nicely. iDrive is great, keeping the dashboard simple and uncluttered. Not as user- friendly as it can be, but you get used to it. DTC is outstanding, sometimes annoyingly so-you have to turn it off to play around a bit sometimes. iPod software is coming. FAST!

Suggested Improvements

Difficult to read upper speedometer/odometer values due to steering wheel position. Backseat is not big, but once you are seated, the seats are actually comfortable! Only a two year warranty in Europe. Not good in snow, but that is not why you buy a car like this!

BMW Engineering at it's finest
By Cameron

2006 BMW 6 Series 650i 2dr Coupe (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Over the years I've had quite a few cars. I test drove the 650 and was instantly sold. The performance is stellar, the handling amazing. This car does everything right. The people that complain about the iDrive, haven't used it or taken the time to learn. I had it down within a couple of days and appreciate the simplicity. BMW has won me over, I don't know what took me so long!

Favorite Features

interior comfort, Nav, sound system and handling.

Suggested Improvements

None... everything is just right.

Dream Machine
By RinManhattanBeach

2006 BMW 6 Series 650i 2dr Coupe (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Without a doubt, the BMW 650i is the hottest car I've ever driven. You just have to be careful about your speed because as you step on it, you can't feel anything shift... it literally glides from gear to gear like no other car I've driven. I see tickets in my future and I'm not talking about the ones for a show. I had concerns about the iDrive, but I found it pretty intuitive to use and I'm getting more comfy with the voice commands. All in all, the car is a beautifully tuned machine. The front end of the car is a lot prettier in view than the back end. But then the "not so pretty" back end gives the car a hint of less pretentiousnes with a really big trunk.

Favorite Features

The sound system is off the hook, but the v8 engine is by far the best feature. Oh, and the huge trunk is awesome for a coupe.

Suggested Improvements

This is the first time I've had a navigation system and I kind of wish it had touch screen. The rear end of the car could be a little sleeker but lots of trunk. When you are within a foot of an object, the sensors got nuts... they need to be tweaked for closer sensing within a foot of an object.