2006 BMW 6 Series 650i Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Bmw 6-series - Consumer Reviews

2006 6 Series Consumer Reviews

650i 4.8L V8 6-speed Manual - (22 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

BMW 650i Convertible
By monteshere

2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

After driving a Lexus SC430 for 6 years, the only other reasonably priced car that caught my eye was the Beemer 650i Convertible. I was sold the minute I test drove it. My biggest concern was wind noise through the soft-top. That concern evaporated at 110mph on the freeway. This car is quieter than the Lexus with a hard top!!! Secondly, the car excellerates very well. Almost as well as my '66 Big Block Vette (but it's far quieter). I do miss the 4-speed shifting, but the sport mode while in the manual shift mode makes up for the need to clutch. This car handles like a dream. Lexus, take note: When you hard steer into a corner, the tires don't even while a bit. I love this car!!!

Favorite Features

Comfortable Front Seats, Power!!! Handling!!!

Suggested Improvements

None, I'd have to drive the 2013 to see what they have done already. I know the HP has been boosted to 440HP.

Best bang for your buck.
By sigma95

2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

First of all, you have to know what the 6-series is and is not. It is not a canyon-carver w/ it's porcine weight, but a GT rocket ship most comfortable near three-digit speeds on open road. It's the 2nd most depreciating car on the market, so if you find a good used example, snatch it up quick and thank the previous owner for taking the full brunt of depreciation. No problems and smooth. No car for this $ gets the nods, 2nd looks, thumbs ups, and in one case actual cheers, for it's mere presence. If you're a DIY'er, get on bimmerfest and learn the easy maintenance steps and save even more $. Note: 0-60 is nothing remarkable. 60 - 120 is absolutely frightening.

Favorite Features

Upper end thrust. Front row parking w/ any valet in town. Miles of smiles. Truly the ultimate tannin machine.

Suggested Improvements

Improve suspension feel over bumps. Typical convertible shakes. i-Drive takes some self-study to master.

It's been fun
By Ernie Loynaz

2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

After my 4-years with the SC430 from Lexus, I was unhappy with its soft steering - heard the purr of the 650's engine and fell in love - at last the muscle car I could not afford as a teenager, with the class that comes with maturity (OK agreed - if I was so mature, I wouldn't care - right?).

Favorite Features

Handling, sound of the engine, Heads-Up display, keyless entry, the freedom of a convertible. Even today, I get a lot of great compliments about the car - it has a very elegant look - it'd be a definite killer with a hard top.

Suggested Improvements

The car was for the most part, very relaible, but once in a while, the interface would go bonkers - nothing to die for. The Service at South Motors has improved, BUT at first, they were VERY annoying - asked for a 5 rating, everywhere, but did nothing to earn it; they've improved. NEEDS HARD TOP.

Very happy
By Marc Weiss

2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

This car is a true driving experience. It is very comfortable even with lower back issues. It has more power than we can use on most California highways. The stereo and blue tooth phone systems are outstanding. A truly wonderful ride in either Sport Mode or Comfort. Recommend that all new car purchases have a complete detail outside their respective dealership and do not forget to include a "clay" of the finish. This brings out the full metallic or standard colors in a beautiful way.

Favorite Features

Styling, audio and telephone systems, performance.

Suggested Improvements

Cannot think of any improvement.

6 series convertible
By bobp

2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

This car MUST be driven to be appreciated. Once test driven, I had to purchase it. Acceleration is awsome. Dynamic stability control keeps the car perfectly level in corners, as they say, like riding on rails! And BMW quality speaks for itself! Now thinking about the M6, but that may be too much power. This car is the perfect performance luxury vehicle!

Favorite Features

Voice activated commands.

Suggested Improvements

None!

As always - Excellent!!
By Shelley

2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Having owned BMWs over the years, I love and expect the superior quality, safety and performance these cars always provide. When BMW came out with the 645 I fell in love with the new, bold and innovative design, but it wasn't the time to buy a new car... and there's always a reason why! When I was ready to buy the 650i had been released and I bought my beautiful Monaco blue convertible. It's far and away the best BMW I've ever owned and well worth the wait! I cannot recommend any other car more highly than this one, it's worth every bit (and more) what I paid for it.

Favorite Features

Superior handling and acceleration. The logic 7 sound system is incredible. Outstanding convertible top mechanism - best I've ever encountered! My 650 is truly a great car - I hate it when I pull into the garage and have to get out.

Suggested Improvements

I really dislike the little "message" on the iDrive screen every time you start up the car!! I think that after a couple of weeks (at the most!) that should go away. Other than that and a couple of iDrive hiccups, which were fixed immediately, I have no other suggestions.

Incredible value
By adp

2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I got my 650i convertible with most options in mid-June and it was delivered flawless and has been flawless in the first 2000 miles. The iDrive is easy to use, although boot-up sometimes takes a while. A few minutes with the manuals is worth the time. The 650 is very well balanced and after break-in seems to get better mileage and has better response. I have owned more expensive cars that do not come close to this one dynamically or stylistically . It is not the fastest car, but it is fast enough for me. Lots of compliments on the design. When compared to cars costing over $20000 more the 650 comes out on top, IMO.

Favorite Features

Well balanced, excellent power response, especially in Sport mode, styling, driving position is excpetionally good, although top-up visibility to the rear quarters requires full attention. The head-up display is a surprisingly helpful invention and is a must option. Sound system is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

More memory for iDrive to speed its operation. Electrically folding ext. rear view mirrors and electrically asisted soft-close feature for doors would be nice.

so sweet...
By LEA

2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

The car is exceptionally beautiful, with clean sophisticated lines. The top is a wonder and absolutely effortless. The car drives like a dream, it never seems to run out of power. It is responsive and surprisingly nimble considering it's size. I will never regret buying this car.

Favorite Features

The top is a dream.

Suggested Improvements

The iDrive takes getting used to but seems to work better with time.

WOW!
By ROW10

2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I just took European delivery of my 650i convertible in Munich, Germany. I loved every minute that I spent in the car. I am already in withdrawal waiting for the car to arrive in Atlanta! Even though I was babying the engine for the 1200 mile break-in period, I was still amazed at the power and performance even though the rpms didn't exceed 4500. I was even able to go 150 mph on the autobahn and not go past 4500 rpms. In a word: WOW!

Favorite Features

Overall feel and performance, the heads up display, active cruise control, active steering and voice commands.

best convertible ever
By amy

2006 BMW 6 Series Convertible 650i 2dr Convertible (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

This car handles incredibly and offers a very quiet interior ride compared to many convertibles.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the completely automatic convertible.

Suggested Improvements

The only draw back of the car is the absence of a spare tire even though the tires are run flat tires. I had a flat and could not find a replacement tire anywhere.