Used 2005 BMW 6 Series Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Bmw 6-series - Consumer Reviews

2005 BMW 6 Series Convertible

645Ci 4.4L V8 6-speed Manual - (43 reviews )

A Piece of Art but also A Piece of Junk
By bobcat21

2005 BMW 6 Series Convertible 645Ci 2dr Convertible (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

My wife and I feel in love with our 05' BMW 645i conv. when we first picked it up. We purchased it Jan. 2011 used with only 33,000 miles on it. It had some years on it but we figured it would get several years of only normal maintenance type services and not need to worry about major mechanical or electric problem because of it's low mileage and series. After all this is one of BMW's flagship cars. While the car gets looks of admiration at stop lights the feeling of this wears out quickly when you count how many dollars and time it has spent in a BMW repair shop. The BMW 645i is like buying a boat - the 2 happiest days of ownership are the day you buy it and the day you get rid of it.

Favorite Features

This is a beautiful car that turns heads and people are still not use to seeing the new 6 series so it's still very fresh. The top drops nicely and the exceleration is amazing. If you don't mind your car being in the shop 4 months out of the year and have unlimited funds to repair it, it will be a blast to drive the remaining 8 months out of the year.

Suggested Improvements

BMW really needs to improve on the quality of the car. Major oil leaks from the valve cover and upper timing chain cover gaskets, multiple ignition coil failures, valvetronic failure, water pump failure, alternator failure, master brake cylinder failure, SRS control module failure, DVD - Navigation failure, battery issues, electric window issues, transmission issues, and horrible run flat tires. This is completely unacceptable of a expensive, well maintained, and pampered car with less that 63,000 miles on it. It's quality completely sucks the life out of a supposed ultimate driving machine. Steer clear (please enjoy the pun however) of this car.

I Love this Car!
By John

2005 BMW 6 Series Convertible 645Ci 2dr Convertible (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The finest car I have ever owned. I have had other BMW's, Mercedes, Volvos, 400 HP muscle cars and nothing compares to this car. It is in a class of its own when it comes to BMWs.

Favorite Features

The adaptive steering and suspension are amazing! I won't have another car without them.

Suggested Improvements

Faster computer for the idrive. Sometimes it is slow to respond when first starting up.

There are better options
By Santiago

2005 BMW 6 Series Convertible 645Ci 2dr Convertible (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I think you can have a much better car for the same money. My car has been giving me a lot of headache with the operation of the roof; it stops working without previous notice and not even the BMW guys know why is that. She still is covered by the warranty but my concern is when it's over I'll be the one paying every time this happens again. Other than that, she runs ok but the engine isn't that amazing considering it's a V8 (should have much more grunts and ponies). Anyway, I wouldn't buy it again. Next time, I'll try Mercedes, Porsche or Audi.

Favorite Features

Roomy trunk.

Suggested Improvements

All the electronics.

What a BEAST Machine
By CJ_in_FL

2005 BMW 6 Series Convertible 645Ci 2dr Convertible (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Drove 3-series all my life until I got this beast. 6 speed is out of this world. Acceleration, handling and cornering couldn't be finer. I swapped out the run flats immediately even though there was only 19,000 on car. What a difference without that extra weight. Less expensive too. First gear buries the tach a little too fast but you get use to the quick shift to second. I took it to the limit 160+ once and it was still quiet in the rag top. The iDrive is simple once you read the manual. Quality and variations of the LOGIC7 is theater- like. I'm 6'7" and the cockpit is very accommodating. I just love my BEAST for power and style.

Favorite Features

Power and sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the run flats.

I love this car
By pguter

2005 BMW 6 Series Convertible 645Ci 2dr Convertible (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Drives like a dream, tremendous pick-up, wonderful sight lines. The top is quick and easy to raise or lower. The iDrive is easier to use than most reviewers seem to experience.

Favorite Features

The drive and handling are superb. I love the SMG gearbox and use only the paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

The one cup holder is marginally functional. More storage space in the cabin would be nice, but is not really the reason for this car.