Used 2005 BMW 6 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 Series model:

BMW 645 Convertible
By paul Bailey

2005 BMW 6 Series 645Ci 2dr Coupe (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Without a doubt the best car I ever owned. I have had Mercedes, BMW 530i, Ferrari 355 (2 years old) several Porsche 911's and this is just such a great car. Economical, fast, brilliant handling, stylish, practical, great sound system, reliable. I cannot fault the car and abolutely love it.

Favorite Features

The auto gearbox is smooth, fast chaging, the stering is perfectly weighted, very good sound system, loud and clear.

Suggested Improvements

I cannot think of anything that needs changing.

the perfect car
By bmwforlife3

2005 BMW 6 Series 645Ci 2dr Coupe (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

you can not ask for a more better car. The speed is their the look is their the reliability is there it is just and overall perfect car i put on some 21" chrome BMW rims and everyone looks when i drive by its the best car BMW makes

Favorite Features

everything

Suggested Improvements

The angel eyes and fog lights should match the lights

A Piece of Art but also A Piece of Junk
By bobcat21

2005 BMW 6 Series 645Ci 2dr Convertible (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

My wife and I feel in love with our 05' BMW 645i conv. when we first picked it up. We purchased it Jan. 2011 used with only 33,000 miles on it. It had some years on it but we figured it would get several years of only normal maintenance type services and not need to worry about major mechanical or electric problem because of it's low mileage and series. After all this is one of BMW's flagship cars. While the car gets looks of admiration at stop lights the feeling of this wears out quickly when you count how many dollars and time it has spent in a BMW repair shop. The BMW 645i is like buying a boat - the 2 happiest days of ownership are the day you buy it and the day you get rid of it.

Favorite Features

This is a beautiful car that turns heads and people are still not use to seeing the new 6 series so it's still very fresh. The top drops nicely and the exceleration is amazing. If you don't mind your car being in the shop 4 months out of the year and have unlimited funds to repair it, it will be a blast to drive the remaining 8 months out of the year.

Suggested Improvements

BMW really needs to improve on the quality of the car. Major oil leaks from the valve cover and upper timing chain cover gaskets, multiple ignition coil failures, valvetronic failure, water pump failure, alternator failure, master brake cylinder failure, SRS control module failure, DVD - Navigation failure, battery issues, electric window issues, transmission issues, and horrible run flat tires. This is completely unacceptable of a expensive, well maintained, and pampered car with less that 63,000 miles on it. It's quality completely sucks the life out of a supposed ultimate driving machine. Steer clear (please enjoy the pun however) of this car.

Unreliable starts
By samanthaat

2005 BMW 6 Series 645Ci 2dr Coupe (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

At first I loved this car. I'm a low mileage driver and BMW tells me the car is meant to be driven a lot. If you don't drive it a lot this car is a life of hell. The BMW dealer told me if I don't drive it at least one day a week for an hour the battery will die. He said there is too much draining the battery. It's not a week though. Seven starts drains the battery. I keep it on a trickle charge, but that apparently doesn't keep it from draining. After the battery drains a couple dozen times, its time for a new battery which today cost over $500. That's not acceptable but what is really unacceptable is having an $80,000 car that leaves me stranded and calling AAA once a week.

Favorite Features

The speed in 6th gear is amazing.

Suggested Improvements

Let buyers know that if you are a low mileage driver this is not a car for you.

I Love this Car!
By John

2005 BMW 6 Series 645Ci 2dr Convertible (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The finest car I have ever owned. I have had other BMW's, Mercedes, Volvos, 400 HP muscle cars and nothing compares to this car. It is in a class of its own when it comes to BMWs.

Favorite Features

The adaptive steering and suspension are amazing! I won't have another car without them.

Suggested Improvements

Faster computer for the idrive. Sometimes it is slow to respond when first starting up.