2013 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)
I just took delivery of my new 2013 528xi and don't understand why there are so many negative comments about this car.
I traded a 2009 BMW 328xi Coupe for the 528.
We loved the Coupe but decided it was time to go larger.
The 4 cylinder
528 is at least as quick as the straight 6 in the Coupe - I haven't hammered the 528 as it is still breaking in but it's very quick.
No, it doesn't sound as nice as the 6 but I don't care - the 528 is amazinly quiet.
The Start / Stop feature is interesting and is not intrusive.
There is none of the "shuddering" others have complained about.
It is actually kind of cool...
- Drive modes make a definite difference in how the car handles
- 8 speed transmission is outstanding
- Incredibly quiet and smooth ride and in "sport" mode it definitely firms up the way the car handles
- iDrive has matured over the years with super graphics and much improved interface
- clean and gorgeous interior with excellent fit and finish.
- German cars have soul and my experience with Japan's best is that they don't - but don't ask me to define "soul"
- Although too soon to measure, the fuel mileage will be much better than the 328 Coupe
- I agree with others that the steering is a bit vague and the car needs to have more on-center feel (but I do understand the advantage of an electronic steering system)
- BMW should equip their cars with the same safety equipment that is required in Europe:
Warning triangle and first aid kit
You've obviously not had to have it towed or serviced yet. The tow guys need to crawl underneath the car to put it in neutral with the ignition off. There used to be a way to do this from inside the car, but no longer. They told me they would never do this on the highway. if the car isn't in neutral you risk damaging the transmission. It took BMW service one month to get my muffler fixed and for another muffler part, two months as it was backordered in Germany!
BMW service people are unmotivated to expedite and dealer could care less once they lease/sell to you.