Used 2013 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Only had it a 13 days...now in the shop
By em11

2013 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Drove my car to LAX and left for 3 days. When I returned early morning on the third day, computer system said that some systems had shut down due to low battery. I was able to start it and after my 2 hr. drive home it charged up. Brakes feel grabby with a harder than normal stop. I noticed on my first trip that I had to hold counter clock wise pressure on the steering wheel. When I let go of the wheel, car drifts right. Tried this on various parts of the road. Took it in and they tried to tell me that most cars do that. My Mercedes never did. So now its in the shop and they cant find the problem. I'm driving a loaner car...going on a week. As for the look of the car, its nothing special.

Technology package. Speed. Head up computer.

Headrest should have the ability to be lowered. I'm 5'4 and the head rest for the driver will not go low enough for it to be in proper position. per manual: Adjust the head restraint so that its center is approximately at ear level.

BMW 528i x drive
By peterrov

2013 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Just bought 528 ix. The drive is really fun; car has enough power with great G/M. The transmission is great. The problem is only that the basic car comes naked. You have to pay for literally all options. Let’s say, back up camera which Honda installs in any CRV, or side blinkers which Kia installs on $18,000 Forte. And those options my $55,000 car does not have because they are too expensive. Another things: I don’t like too big and too thin wheel, and the lack of spare tire. What exactly should you do if your tire blows up and you can’t drive to local shop due to long distance or inconvenient time? Otherwise I recommend the car. It comes with free maintenance for 5 years

Good MPG, Absolutly great 8 gear transmission

Would prefer smaller and thicker wheal and to have spare tire

Update 3 months 3,000 miles, Love the car
By jim9757

2013 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Watch you speed on the highway, this car loves the road. Got my first warning for "driving a little over the speed limit" 82 in a 75. This car shines on the highway and is extremely responsive - acceleration / braking / handling. In town, you are in total control and the ride is very quiet and smooth. Getting about 29 mpg on the highway and 24 mpg in in town mixed driving. Absolutely no problems and a joy to drive. If you are looking at MB / Audi / Lexus / Infiniti, be sure to include this in your test drives.

Handling, ride, quiet

Allow default disable of auto sht off.

2013 535I - Great Car - Fun to drive - but...
By steve_dimas

2013 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

The 535i has the right mix of Sport, comfort and fuel economy for my budget. I have one technology issue with the car and the Auto Stop feature which shuts down the engine when you come to a stop for more than and a few seconds with the idea it saves on fuel cost. However, in my experience its more annoying than what it's worth as in most cases with city driving the engine shuts off just seconds before it has to restarted again. In stop n go traffic it's absolutely ridiculous. Also, with auto stop it can give you the impression the car is off when parked when in fact it is not.

Looks, Drive, Technology Package, Navigation, Smart phone connector, Comfort.

!.)Auto Stop feature - Provide a way by default turn it on or off. Frankly, just get ride of it. It has a limited use case. 2.) Better indication the car is actually turned off. All the electronics in the car remain running when you turn the car off for several minutes. With Auto Stop the car engine maybe off but the electronics are still running. (I drained the battery one night because I thought the car was off) 3.)Volume controls on the steering wheel - should be on the other side of the steering wheel.

Fatal Flaw in Windshield and Mileage
By semitame

2013 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had several BMW's from the M3C to the X5M. The 550ix with sport line package satisfies my need for a nice looking, powerful 4-dr sedan that is less challenging to drive than an M series. There are two fatal flaws for me. 1. Windshield area and angle makes it impossible to get out of too much direct sun. Even with cooling seats and the a/c running, it can be quite uncomfortable in summer. 2. After 5,000 miles, still getting only 14 mpg. Have had problems with variable comfort settings (comfort, normal, sport and sport plus) and battery not holding a charge. The battery issue came up with X5M as well. Ridiculous placement of what is supposed to be an ashtray.

Appearance is strong and sexy. Back seat is nice size, trunk space very good.

Aside from above issues, automatic seat height could be another inch higher for short people. Don't want to add cushion because I like the cooling ventilated seats.