Used 2013 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

six month review
By blus535i

2013 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned my 535i for six months and love the car. I have had no issues at all with it and have already put 8,500 miles on the car. I average 27-28 mpg combined and have gotten 35-36 mpg on the highway doing 70mph. I have gotten a lot of compliments on the car it is Deep Sea Blue with Gray interior and W-spoke wheels. My car had a special production run with these wheels and I love these wheels. My only complaint's no spare tire and the cup holder on the manual is useless. I don't plan on putting run flats back on the car too expensive for the staggered wheels. The car is fast, smooth and quiet.

Excellent gas mileage for this type of car, nice interior/exterior design, excellent quality in material and much more solid than my 2008 528i.

Would really like a spare tire and a decent cup holder would be good.

Why All the Complaints?
By daveinmass

2013 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I just took delivery of my new 2013 528xi and don't understand why there are so many negative comments about this car.
I traded a 2009 BMW 328xi Coupe for the 528.
We loved the Coupe but decided it was time to go larger.

The 4 cylinder
528 is at least as quick as the straight 6 in the Coupe - I haven't hammered the 528 as it is still breaking in but it's very quick.
No, it doesn't sound as nice as the 6 but I don't care - the 528 is amazinly quiet.

The Start / Stop feature is interesting and is not intrusive.
There is none of the "shuddering" others have complained about.
It is actually kind of cool...

- Drive modes make a definite difference in how the car handles - 8 speed transmission is outstanding - Incredibly quiet and smooth ride and in "sport" mode it definitely firms up the way the car handles - iDrive has matured over the years with super graphics and much improved interface - clean and gorgeous interior with excellent fit and finish. - German cars have soul and my experience with Japan's best is that they don't - but don't ask me to define "soul" - Although too soon to measure, the fuel mileage will be much better than the 328 Coupe

- I agree with others that the steering is a bit vague and the car needs to have more on-center feel (but I do understand the advantage of an electronic steering system) - BMW should equip their cars with the same safety equipment that is required in Europe: Warning triangle and first aid kit

Only had it a 13 days...now in the shop
By em11

2013 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Drove my car to LAX and left for 3 days. When I returned early morning on the third day, computer system said that some systems had shut down due to low battery. I was able to start it and after my 2 hr. drive home it charged up.
Brakes feel grabby with a harder than normal stop.
I noticed on my first trip that I had to hold counter clock wise pressure on the steering wheel.
When I let go of the wheel, car drifts right. Tried this on various parts of the road. Took it in and they tried to tell me that most cars do that. My Mercedes never did. So now its in the shop and they cant find the problem.
I'm driving a loaner car...going on a week. As for the look of the car, its nothing special.

Technology package. Speed. Head up computer.

Headrest should have the ability to be lowered. I'm 5'4 and the head rest for the driver will not go low enough for it to be in proper position. per manual: Adjust the head restraint so that its center is approximately at ear level.

BMW 528i x drive
By peterrov

2013 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Just bought 528 ix. The drive is really fun; car has enough power with great G/M.
The transmission is great.
The problem is only that the basic car comes naked. You have to pay for literally all options.
Let’s say, back up camera which Honda installs in any CRV, or side blinkers which Kia installs on $18,000 Forte. And those options my $55,000 car does not have because they are too expensive.

Another things:
I don’t like too big and too thin wheel, and the lack of spare tire.
What exactly should you do if your tire blows up and you can’t drive to local shop due to long distance or inconvenient time?

Otherwise I recommend the car. It comes with free maintenance for 5 years

Good MPG, Absolutly great 8 gear transmission

Would prefer smaller and thicker wheal and to have spare tire

Update 3 years 44k miles
By jim9757

2013 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

great car. No maintenance issues. Changed tires at 25k and just had front brakes done. One comment from reviews was wheels not strong enough. With Houston pot holes I had to get the alloy wheels retried at 40k miles Otherwise no maintenance costs, all covered by 4 yr 50k maintenance