2013 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Good luck if you have to TOW or Service it.
By greenwichct1 on 03/06/14 10:26 AM (PST)

2013 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I drove over a rock and had to have the car towed to the BMW in Port Chester, NY. It took visits from 3 tow trucks to finally get one that would crawl underneath the car to put it in neutral when off. The guy told me he would never do that if I had broken down on the highway. BMW assist was clueless. Car needed a muffler which took 10 days for BMW service Port Chester to get it from Germany. Then they decided it needed another muffler part which was backordered 2 months! In all it would be 2.5 months to fix a muffler! They couldn't care less about the inconvenience to me.

Great Car!
By misarah305 on 08/11/13 10:52 AM (PDT)

2013 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Traded my 2011 328i for the 2013 528i, and I love it! The interior is extremely nice and the idrive system is great. There are some very high tech features that took me some time to get used to. Although the exterior is a bit conservative, there something about it that gives it a classy look to it. I am very happy with the overall performance of this car. The ride is a lot quieter and smoother. I'm very pleased and know I made the right decision.

six month review
By blus535i on 06/08/13 20:20 PM (PDT)

2013 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned my 535i for six months and love the car. I have had no issues at all with it and have already put 8,500 miles on the car. I average 27-28 mpg combined and have gotten 35-36 mpg on the highway doing 70mph. I have gotten a lot of compliments on the car it is Deep Sea Blue with Gray interior and W-spoke wheels. My car had a special production run with these wheels and I love these wheels. My only complaint's no spare tire and the cup holder on the manual is useless. I don't plan on putting run flats back on the car too expensive for the staggered wheels. The car is fast, smooth and quiet.

Why All the Complaints?
By daveinmass on 06/04/13 05:27 AM (PDT)

2013 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I just took delivery of my new 2013 528xi and don't understand why there are so many negative comments about this car. I traded a 2009 BMW 328xi Coupe for the 528. We loved the Coupe but decided it was time to go larger. The 4 cylinder 528 is at least as quick as the straight 6 in the Coupe - I haven't hammered the 528 as it is still breaking in but it's very quick. No, it doesn't sound as nice as the 6 but I don't care - the 528 is amazinly quiet. The Start / Stop feature is interesting and is not intrusive. There is none of the "shuddering" others have complained about. It is actually kind of cool...

Only had it a 13 days...now in the shop
By em11 on 05/20/13 10:14 AM (PDT)

2013 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Drove my car to LAX and left for 3 days. When I returned early morning on the third day, computer system said that some systems had shut down due to low battery. I was able to start it and after my 2 hr. drive home it charged up. Brakes feel grabby with a harder than normal stop. I noticed on my first trip that I had to hold counter clock wise pressure on the steering wheel. When I let go of the wheel, car drifts right. Tried this on various parts of the road. Took it in and they tried to tell me that most cars do that. My Mercedes never did. So now its in the shop and they cant find the problem. I'm driving a loaner car...going on a week. As for the look of the car, its nothing special.

BMW 528i x drive
By peterrov on 05/11/13 17:19 PM (PDT)

2013 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Just bought 528 ix. The drive is really fun; car has enough power with great G/M. The transmission is great. The problem is only that the basic car comes naked. You have to pay for literally all options. Let’s say, back up camera which Honda installs in any CRV, or side blinkers which Kia installs on $18,000 Forte. And those options my $55,000 car does not have because they are too expensive. Another things: I don’t like too big and too thin wheel, and the lack of spare tire. What exactly should you do if your tire blows up and you can’t drive to local shop due to long distance or inconvenient time? Otherwise I recommend the car. It comes with free maintenance for 5 years

Update 3 months 3,000 miles, Love the car
By jim9757 on 05/10/13 07:02 AM (PDT)

2013 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Watch you speed on the highway, this car loves the road. Got my first warning for "driving a little over the speed limit" 82 in a 75. This car shines on the highway and is extremely responsive - acceleration / braking / handling. In town, you are in total control and the ride is very quiet and smooth. Getting about 29 mpg on the highway and 24 mpg in in town mixed driving. Absolutely no problems and a joy to drive. If you are looking at MB / Audi / Lexus / Infiniti, be sure to include this in your test drives.

2013 535I - Great Car - Fun to drive - but...
By steve_dimas on 03/10/13 11:26 AM (PDT)

2013 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

The 535i has the right mix of Sport, comfort and fuel economy for my budget. I have one technology issue with the car and the Auto Stop feature which shuts down the engine when you come to a stop for more than and a few seconds with the idea it saves on fuel cost. However, in my experience its more annoying than what it's worth as in most cases with city driving the engine shuts off just seconds before it has to restarted again. In stop n go traffic it's absolutely ridiculous. Also, with auto stop it can give you the impression the car is off when parked when in fact it is not.

Fatal Flaw in Windshield and Mileage
By semitame on 02/24/13 14:00 PM (PST)

2013 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had several BMW's from the M3C to the X5M. The 550ix with sport line package satisfies my need for a nice looking, powerful 4-dr sedan that is less challenging to drive than an M series. There are two fatal flaws for me. 1. Windshield area and angle makes it impossible to get out of too much direct sun. Even with cooling seats and the a/c running, it can be quite uncomfortable in summer. 2. After 5,000 miles, still getting only 14 mpg. Have had problems with variable comfort settings (comfort, normal, sport and sport plus) and battery not holding a charge. The battery issue came up with X5M as well. Ridiculous placement of what is supposed to be an ashtray.

First impressions - 500 miles driven - wonderful so far
By jim9757 on 02/05/13 17:49 PM (PST)

2013 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Was looking for a smooth highway ride with nice handling. This car came closer to my desires than Lexus, MB and Audi. Very quiet and handles well on winding roads. Soaks up road imperfections. Will come back later with updates. Edmunds projected price was right on target. Everyone comments on how quiet it is inside and how well laid out the interior is. Back seat is more roomy than I expected.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 BMW 5 Series Sedan in VA is:

$161 per month*