2013 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Awesome Car!
By beachbum20

2013 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I’ve had my 2013 BMW 528i for a little over a year and I love it - best car I've owned. I’ve driven sports cars and luxury sedans and for me this is a great hybrid of “fun to drive” and “creature comfort”. The 4-cyl engine is plenty powerful for city and highway driving and the fuel economy is surprisingly good. It’s a very comfortable car for daily driving and easily accommodates four adults. The interior is quiet, comfortable, luxurious, and attractive. The handling is excellent. I purchased it from a BMW dealer as a CPO vehicle and I haven’t had any reliability issues. Overall, the 528i is an excellent car with a great balance of luxury, comfort, sportiness, and fuel economy

Favorite Features

Responsive handling, fuel economy, interior design, quiet cabin, auto door unlock.

Good luck if you have to TOW or Service it.
By greenwichct1

2013 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I drove over a rock and had to have the car towed to the BMW in Port Chester, NY. It took visits from 3 tow trucks to finally get one that would crawl underneath the car to put it in neutral when off. The guy told me he would never do that if I had broken down on the highway. BMW assist was clueless. Car needed a muffler which took 10 days for BMW service Port Chester to get it from Germany. Then they decided it needed another muffler part which was backordered 2 months! In all it would be 2.5 months to fix a muffler! They couldn't care less about the inconvenience to me.

Favorite Features

Nice car, nice drive but not as good as 2010 model and to save gas you have to drive it in ECO mode which gives you no pickup, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the issue with having to crawl under the car to put it in neutral. What's wrong with the parts situation? Why do they come from Germany. Bad attitude from BMW Service and the dealer would not get involved. Once you buy or lease the car, they could care less about your experience.

Great Car!
By misarah305

2013 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Traded my 2011 328i for the 2013 528i, and I love it! The interior is extremely nice and the idrive system is great. There are some very high tech features that took me some time to get used to. Although the exterior is a bit conservative, there something about it that gives it a classy look to it. I am very happy with the overall performance of this car. The ride is a lot quieter and smoother. I'm very pleased and know I made the right decision.

Favorite Features

active seats, navigation system, idrive, heads up display, night vision, lane departure assist, rear and side cameras

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of anything. If I do, I will come back and make a comment.

six month review
By blus535i

2013 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned my 535i for six months and love the car. I have had no issues at all with it and have already put 8,500 miles on the car. I average 27-28 mpg combined and have gotten 35-36 mpg on the highway doing 70mph. I have gotten a lot of compliments on the car it is Deep Sea Blue with Gray interior and W-spoke wheels. My car had a special production run with these wheels and I love these wheels. My only complaint's no spare tire and the cup holder on the manual is useless. I don't plan on putting run flats back on the car too expensive for the staggered wheels. The car is fast, smooth and quiet.

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage for this type of car, nice interior/exterior design, excellent quality in material and much more solid than my 2008 528i.

Suggested Improvements

Would really like a spare tire and a decent cup holder would be good.

Why All the Complaints?
By daveinmass

2013 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I just took delivery of my new 2013 528xi and don't understand why there are so many negative comments about this car. I traded a 2009 BMW 328xi Coupe for the 528. We loved the Coupe but decided it was time to go larger. The 4 cylinder 528 is at least as quick as the straight 6 in the Coupe - I haven't hammered the 528 as it is still breaking in but it's very quick. No, it doesn't sound as nice as the 6 but I don't care - the 528 is amazinly quiet. The Start / Stop feature is interesting and is not intrusive. There is none of the "shuddering" others have complained about. It is actually kind of cool...

Favorite Features

- Drive modes make a definite difference in how the car handles - 8 speed transmission is outstanding - Incredibly quiet and smooth ride and in "sport" mode it definitely firms up the way the car handles - iDrive has matured over the years with super graphics and much improved interface - clean and gorgeous interior with excellent fit and finish. - German cars have soul and my experience with Japan's best is that they don't - but don't ask me to define "soul" - Although too soon to measure, the fuel mileage will be much better than the 328 Coupe

Suggested Improvements

- I agree with others that the steering is a bit vague and the car needs to have more on-center feel (but I do understand the advantage of an electronic steering system) - BMW should equip their cars with the same safety equipment that is required in Europe: Warning triangle and first aid kit

Only had it a 13 days...now in the shop
By em11

2013 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Drove my car to LAX and left for 3 days. When I returned early morning on the third day, computer system said that some systems had shut down due to low battery. I was able to start it and after my 2 hr. drive home it charged up. Brakes feel grabby with a harder than normal stop. I noticed on my first trip that I had to hold counter clock wise pressure on the steering wheel. When I let go of the wheel, car drifts right. Tried this on various parts of the road. Took it in and they tried to tell me that most cars do that. My Mercedes never did. So now its in the shop and they cant find the problem. I'm driving a loaner car...going on a week. As for the look of the car, its nothing special.

Favorite Features

Technology package. Speed. Head up computer.

Suggested Improvements

Headrest should have the ability to be lowered. I'm 5'4 and the head rest for the driver will not go low enough for it to be in proper position. per manual: Adjust the head restraint so that its center is approximately at ear level.

BMW 528i x drive
By peterrov

2013 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Just bought 528 ix. The drive is really fun; car has enough power with great G/M. The transmission is great. The problem is only that the basic car comes naked. You have to pay for literally all options. LetÂ’s say, back up camera which Honda installs in any CRV, or side blinkers which Kia installs on $18,000 Forte. And those options my $55,000 car does not have because they are too expensive. Another things: I donÂ’t like too big and too thin wheel, and the lack of spare tire. What exactly should you do if your tire blows up and you canÂ’t drive to local shop due to long distance or inconvenient time? Otherwise I recommend the car. It comes with free maintenance for 5 years

Favorite Features

Good MPG, Absolutly great 8 gear transmission

Suggested Improvements

Would prefer smaller and thicker wheal and to have spare tire

Update 3 months 3,000 miles, Love the car
By jim9757

2013 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Watch you speed on the highway, this car loves the road. Got my first warning for "driving a little over the speed limit" 82 in a 75. This car shines on the highway and is extremely responsive - acceleration / braking / handling. In town, you are in total control and the ride is very quiet and smooth. Getting about 29 mpg on the highway and 24 mpg in in town mixed driving. Absolutely no problems and a joy to drive. If you are looking at MB / Audi / Lexus / Infiniti, be sure to include this in your test drives.

Favorite Features

Handling, ride, quiet

Suggested Improvements

Allow default disable of auto sht off.

2013 535I - Great Car - Fun to drive - but...
By steve_dimas

2013 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

The 535i has the right mix of Sport, comfort and fuel economy for my budget. I have one technology issue with the car and the Auto Stop feature which shuts down the engine when you come to a stop for more than and a few seconds with the idea it saves on fuel cost. However, in my experience its more annoying than what it's worth as in most cases with city driving the engine shuts off just seconds before it has to restarted again. In stop n go traffic it's absolutely ridiculous. Also, with auto stop it can give you the impression the car is off when parked when in fact it is not.

Favorite Features

Looks, Drive, Technology Package, Navigation, Smart phone connector, Comfort.

Suggested Improvements

!.)Auto Stop feature - Provide a way by default turn it on or off. Frankly, just get ride of it. It has a limited use case. 2.) Better indication the car is actually turned off. All the electronics in the car remain running when you turn the car off for several minutes. With Auto Stop the car engine maybe off but the electronics are still running. (I drained the battery one night because I thought the car was off) 3.)Volume controls on the steering wheel - should be on the other side of the steering wheel.

Fatal Flaw in Windshield and Mileage
By semitame

2013 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had several BMW's from the M3C to the X5M. The 550ix with sport line package satisfies my need for a nice looking, powerful 4-dr sedan that is less challenging to drive than an M series. There are two fatal flaws for me. 1. Windshield area and angle makes it impossible to get out of too much direct sun. Even with cooling seats and the a/c running, it can be quite uncomfortable in summer. 2. After 5,000 miles, still getting only 14 mpg. Have had problems with variable comfort settings (comfort, normal, sport and sport plus) and battery not holding a charge. The battery issue came up with X5M as well. Ridiculous placement of what is supposed to be an ashtray.

Favorite Features

Appearance is strong and sexy. Back seat is nice size, trunk space very good.

Suggested Improvements

Aside from above issues, automatic seat height could be another inch higher for short people. Don't want to add cushion because I like the cooling ventilated seats.