Used 2013 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Awesome Car!
By beachbum20

2013 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I’ve had my 2013 BMW 528i for a little over a year and I love it - best car I've owned. I’ve driven sports cars and luxury sedans and for me this is a great hybrid of “fun to drive” and “creature comfort”. The 4-cyl engine is plenty powerful for city and highway driving and the fuel economy is surprisingly good. It’s a very comfortable car for daily driving and easily accommodates four adults. The interior is quiet, comfortable, luxurious, and attractive. The handling is excellent. I purchased it from a BMW dealer as a CPO vehicle and I haven’t had any reliability issues. Overall, the 528i is an excellent car with a great balance of luxury, comfort, sportiness, and fuel economy

Favorite Features

Responsive handling, fuel economy, interior design, quiet cabin, auto door unlock.

Good luck if you have to TOW or Service it.
By greenwichct1

2013 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I drove over a rock and had to have the car towed to the BMW in Port Chester, NY. It took visits from 3 tow trucks to finally get one that would crawl underneath the car to put it in neutral when off. The guy told me he would never do that if I had broken down on the highway. BMW assist was clueless. Car needed a muffler which took 10 days for BMW service Port Chester to get it from Germany. Then they decided it needed another muffler part which was backordered 2 months! In all it would be 2.5 months to fix a muffler! They couldn't care less about the inconvenience to me.

Favorite Features

Nice car, nice drive but not as good as 2010 model and to save gas you have to drive it in ECO mode which gives you no pickup, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the issue with having to crawl under the car to put it in neutral. What's wrong with the parts situation? Why do they come from Germany. Bad attitude from BMW Service and the dealer would not get involved. Once you buy or lease the car, they could care less about your experience.

Great Car!
By misarah305

2013 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Traded my 2011 328i for the 2013 528i, and I love it! The interior is extremely nice and the idrive system is great. There are some very high tech features that took me some time to get used to. Although the exterior is a bit conservative, there something about it that gives it a classy look to it. I am very happy with the overall performance of this car. The ride is a lot quieter and smoother. I'm very pleased and know I made the right decision.

Favorite Features

active seats, navigation system, idrive, heads up display, night vision, lane departure assist, rear and side cameras

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of anything. If I do, I will come back and make a comment.

six month review
By blus535i

2013 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned my 535i for six months and love the car. I have had no issues at all with it and have already put 8,500 miles on the car. I average 27-28 mpg combined and have gotten 35-36 mpg on the highway doing 70mph. I have gotten a lot of compliments on the car it is Deep Sea Blue with Gray interior and W-spoke wheels. My car had a special production run with these wheels and I love these wheels. My only complaint's no spare tire and the cup holder on the manual is useless. I don't plan on putting run flats back on the car too expensive for the staggered wheels. The car is fast, smooth and quiet.

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage for this type of car, nice interior/exterior design, excellent quality in material and much more solid than my 2008 528i.

Suggested Improvements

Would really like a spare tire and a decent cup holder would be good.

Why All the Complaints?
By daveinmass

2013 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I just took delivery of my new 2013 528xi and don't understand why there are so many negative comments about this car. I traded a 2009 BMW 328xi Coupe for the 528. We loved the Coupe but decided it was time to go larger. The 4 cylinder 528 is at least as quick as the straight 6 in the Coupe - I haven't hammered the 528 as it is still breaking in but it's very quick. No, it doesn't sound as nice as the 6 but I don't care - the 528 is amazinly quiet. The Start / Stop feature is interesting and is not intrusive. There is none of the "shuddering" others have complained about. It is actually kind of cool...

Favorite Features

- Drive modes make a definite difference in how the car handles - 8 speed transmission is outstanding - Incredibly quiet and smooth ride and in "sport" mode it definitely firms up the way the car handles - iDrive has matured over the years with super graphics and much improved interface - clean and gorgeous interior with excellent fit and finish. - German cars have soul and my experience with Japan's best is that they don't - but don't ask me to define "soul" - Although too soon to measure, the fuel mileage will be much better than the 328 Coupe

Suggested Improvements

- I agree with others that the steering is a bit vague and the car needs to have more on-center feel (but I do understand the advantage of an electronic steering system) - BMW should equip their cars with the same safety equipment that is required in Europe: Warning triangle and first aid kit