2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)
I have always been attracted to BMW design (with the brief exception of the Bangle years). I was looking for a luxury car but wanted something efficient. I was hoping for a diesel 5 but apparently BMW isn't quite ready so I opted for the 528i as more efficient than anything from Audi or Lexus. I sprang for the premium and technology packages and added the heads up display. I should have taken the heated seats but didn't.
The car is a beauty. I've had it one year. I wouldn't call it the ultimate driving machine but it makes an impression and it's reliable w/ strong fuel economy. Kids fit comfortably in the back on road trips. Electronics are disappointing compared to my wife's 2011 Toyota.
- Absolutely beautiful exterior lines!
- Highway fuel economy is even better than advertised; I can often top 40mpg!
- The car accepts 89 octane instead of having to feed it the premium stuff. Thank you!
- Heads up display for speedometer & nav is awesome.
- Voice activation works well for phone calls or entering addresses into GPS.
- Smooth out the shuddering engine start/stop
- Idling sounds like a little diesel - not cool.
- Start the car in whatever mode it was last driven. I don't want to have to change settings every time I start it.
- GPS search is weak. My wife's Toyota is much better and google maps on my iPhone is usually more effective.