2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)
I have always been attracted to BMW design (with the brief exception of the Bangle years). I was looking for a luxury car but wanted something efficient. I was hoping for a diesel 5 but apparently BMW isn't quite ready so I opted for the 528i as more efficient than anything from Audi or Lexus. I sprang for the premium and technology packages and added the heads up display. I should have taken the heated seats but didn't.
The car is a beauty. I've had it one year. I wouldn't call it the ultimate driving machine but it makes an impression and it's reliable w/ strong fuel economy. Kids fit comfortably in the back on road trips. Electronics are disappointing compared to my wife's 2011 Toyota.
- Absolutely beautiful exterior lines!
- Highway fuel economy is even better than advertised; I can often top 40mpg!
- The car accepts 89 octane instead of having to feed it the premium stuff. Thank you!
- Heads up display for speedometer & nav is awesome.
- Voice activation works well for phone calls or entering addresses into GPS.
- Smooth out the shuddering engine start/stop
- Idling sounds like a little diesel - not cool.
- Start the car in whatever mode it was last driven. I don't want to have to change settings every time I start it.
- GPS search is weak. My wife's Toyota is much better and google maps on my iPhone is usually more effective.
† Edmunds.com received the highest numerical score in the proprietary J.D. Power 2014 Third-Party Automotive Website Evaluation Study℠. Results based on responses from 3,381 responses, measuring 14 companies and measures third-party automotive website usefulness among new and used vehicle shoppers. Proprietary study results are based on experiences and perceptions of owners surveyed from January 2014. Your experiences may vary. Visit jdpower.com.