Great car but different from past BMWs
By johny14 on
2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)
Got a 2012 528 M Sport, traded in my 2002 540i 200k miles later. The 540 was a 4 door sports car and I loved it. Negatives first - this one is a luxury car that tightens up in sport mode to be a great grand touring vehicle, but its not a sports car. Which is fine with me because it is my daily driver. Positives - WAY more comfortable and quiet, spectacular fuel economy (getting 34mpg hwy and 27.5 average). Love the interior (switches all in the same place as my E39) + large NAV screen. The turbo 4 takes a little getting used to coming from a V8 but it really goes if you push the pedal far enough.
Favorite Features
Idrive interface best yet for BMW, interior design and fit & finish is awesome. Ability to pick suspension settings (comfort v. sport) is nice. for those complaining about the size and that it doesn't feel like a sports car, you did test drive it first, right? get a 328 or 335 sport. that was my 2nd choice.
Suggested Improvements
body is a little large & wide, wish I could get a 90% scale model. 8 speed transmission has to be left alone, ratios too close to shift manually.