2012 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Great car but different from past BMWs
By johny14 on 06/11/13 11:01 AM (PDT)

2012 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Got a 2012 528 M Sport, traded in my 2002 540i 200k miles later. The 540 was a 4 door sports car and I loved it. Negatives first - this one is a luxury car that tightens up in sport mode to be a great grand touring vehicle, but its not a sports car. Which is fine with me because it is my daily driver. Positives - WAY more comfortable and quiet, spectacular fuel economy (getting 34mpg hwy and 27.5 average). Love the interior (switches all in the same place as my E39) + large NAV screen. The turbo 4 takes a little getting used to coming from a V8 but it really goes if you push the pedal far enough.

My first BMW
By modestomatt on 05/31/13 15:46 PM (PDT)

2012 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have always been attracted to BMW design (with the brief exception of the Bangle years). I was looking for a luxury car but wanted something efficient. I was hoping for a diesel 5 but apparently BMW isn't quite ready so I opted for the 528i as more efficient than anything from Audi or Lexus. I sprang for the premium and technology packages and added the heads up display. I should have taken the heated seats but didn't. The car is a beauty. I've had it one year. I wouldn't call it the ultimate driving machine but it makes an impression and it's reliable w/ strong fuel economy. Kids fit comfortably in the back on road trips. Electronics are disappointing compared to my wife's 2011 Toyota.

This New BMW 5 Series Leaves Very Little to be Desired!
By robetross on 07/12/12 05:39 AM (PDT)

2012 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought my new 528i back in March. This was my very first luxury car. I was looking for something fuel efficient but loaded with all the luxury options you can get. The fuel efficiency is outstanding for such a large car and I love the engine start/stop feature when waiting at a light. I got the Space Grey Metallic with Dakota Leather, Luxury Seating Pkg, Premium Pkg, Technology Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, and Comfort Access Keyless Entry. The seats are the most comfortable car seats I've ever been in. I test drove the Mercedes E Class Driving feedback is much better than the E Class. The steering wheel was very light on the E Class car, plus there were fewer luxury options available.

My 3rd BMW in 6 years
By luvinmybmw on 05/23/12 18:50 PM (PDT)

2012 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I had a 2007 BMW 530i, a 2009 BMW 328i and now a 2012 BMW 528i. My favorite was the 2007. My second favorite is the 2012 528i. The 3 Series, which was a 2 door coupe, was nice, but way too small. I'm not a big guy...not over weight and i'm only 5-9. The 2007 was really sporty and in my opinion drove like it was a train on rails! The 328i drove the same, but again...too small. The 2012 528i is absolutely beautiful. It looks like a small 7 series. Only problem, is it just doesn't "feel" like a BMW to me. It is not the "ultimate driving machine" I'm used to. However, in sport mode, it feels much better and sportier, but it is bulky like a Lexus (which i have owned). Interior is nice.

I'm actually amazed
By big_g on 03/10/12 20:43 PM (PST)

2012 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

After driving a '12 A6 for less than a month I wisely traded it in for he 528i. What an incredible car! The technology is awe inspiring, and for being a 2.0 T this care really moves. Plus I am getting over 30 mpg, which is unheard of in a luxury car. The auto shut off feature takes some getting used to, but other than that I can't thing of a single thing i would complain about! The nav system is actually fairly easy once you spend a few minutes playing around with it.

Wish I could return it
By mhrmhr on 02/01/12 11:26 AM (PST)

2012 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I think I write an unfavorable review of my 2012 528i in my head every time I drive it. Its a real disappointment. Computer features are so counter intuitive. Interface crashes iPod regularly. Navigation- ridiculous use your iPhone. Start stop makes you feel like a you're driving a beater. And you'll choke out at an intersection. Interior storage is cramped. Car has gone in to Park twice a stop lights its a safety measure I think....?? Turning the car off is even hard push once to turn the engine off and perfectly synchronized double push to shut the car off completely otherwise you just turn the car back on. Sound system uneven the volume varies does not interface easily with iPod.

Should Have Kept My Mazda
By tex27 on 01/17/12 15:51 PM (PST)

2012 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I really liked the new design for the 5 Series. Test drove a 2011 model. It was great. Ordered a 2012 and have had it for 3 months. The new ECO feature can be annoying. Car automatically turns off at stops and kinda jerks when it restarts. You can disable ECO by pressing a button every time you start the car. Still peppy in ECO. HD radio is poor in my area. Read SIB 65 25 05, a BMW bulletin about poor radio perfomance. It is normal for volume changes to occur and stations to drop off the air! Run flat tires annoying when flat. You have to take the whole car in. There is no spare. Many local auto shops won't touch run flat tires. Also, keyless start does not mean keyless entry.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 BMW 5 Series Sedan in VA is:

$148 per month*