Used 2012 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Disatified Owner
By William Porter

2012 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I owe a 2012 BMW 528i. This car has been nothing but trouble since I got it. It breaks down without warning only to find out it can not be towed because the vehicle cannot be put in neutral. The car has to be put on a lift to deactivate the transmission which cannot be down when you are stranded. Dont waste your time with this vehicle. It looks great but not dependable. Not worth the price or inconvience.

5 Major Failures in 50K miles
By Darrel Moening

2012 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I'm the first and current owner of a 5 series BMW. The car has had the following failures - power train, tie rods, turbo charger, engine tune-up, oil filter housing, and coolant system. We've had the car towed twice and have had the car in the dealership a half dozen times for repairs. We've escalated to BMW USA but they have refused to provide any additional assistance. Save yourself the trouble...

Best comfort and handling car IMO
By Brandon

2012 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I test drove a used silver 528i. Owned a 3 series in the past. BMW handling is given and this one was no exception. This 5 series was by far the most comfortable ride with great handling. Perfect balance. Did test drove 550 couple years ago, super power but little to stiff for me. The car was comfortable, roomy with grest view. Navigation was easy to operate. Everything was great. The only thing I did not like was the auto stop. I got caught in 5 traffic light within 4 minutes. The car being shut of and starting again to me was very annoying.

Run Flat Tires will disappoint!
By ZJ6

2012 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Only four things you need to know about run-flat tires (RFT) First, they wear fast, don't last as long as stated (we got roughly 20K on first set). Second, they are more susceptible to flats! (we've had 3 flats in 3 years) Third, they are very, very expensive ($450 a piece for cheapest all-season). And fourth, though sold under the guise of 'safety' and protection for the vulnerable driver upon flatting... driving to safety (insert image of wife or children stranded), in my experience they burst at the sidewall, which renders them undriveable, and therefore driver is subject to a massive inconvenience of waiting for a tow truck, and being driven to dealership (more on BWM assist later) or tire shop for the pleasure of spending more on a new run-flat tire. We have flatted twice in the last 4 months, both times in the middle lane of an interstate, in the flow of traffic. And three times total in the life of our 2012 BMW (and I've been driving for over 30 years w/o a flat, until buying a BMW). Regarding BMW roadside assistance: It will be sold as a first class experience. Any issue and free tow to dealership. Truth: BMW needs this lifeline, and second, it's not first class. It's run by All State, and requests for towing are farmed out to their network of towing vehicles. They state bids over 1.5 hours are rejected. But expect to remain stranded (regardless of location), and be held hostage to their queue. We've used the service twice, both for RFT incidents. The first happened on a Friday after work, my wife managed to drive home on side streets under 50 mph. We decided not to get picked up that night (leaving BMW on a tow overnight in a random lot), and waited until the next day. It took ALL DAY to get picked up and have tire replaced. The second happened on I-70, in the middle of Denver. Waited over 2 hours (really, in a big city, on a major highway?)... Tow truck driver said BMW's (flat tires) and Honda's (electronics) keep him in business. Here's the deal... it's a known issue! The company line is 'safety'. If you don't like the all-season option, they'll sell you on the plan to have two sets of tires, one for winter the other for summer - paying them to store and change out the sets twice a year. After repeat visits, and getting the know the staff.. you'll start to get the 'no comment' response when inquiring if you are the only one with less-than-acceptable experiences. The staff can not speak to it, some holding firm... others will acknowledge the issue, quietly. We love the car, no other issues. We are not hard drivers and follow the book on maintenance suggestions... but I will not buy another car with fun flat tires.

My Second
By zct888

2012 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

My first BMW was a 328i which I got new back in 2007. I really liked that car in many ways. This time around I was looking for something bigger and faster that could handle a mid west winter and the crappy roads that such winters leave behind. I looked at various choices and settled on a CPO 2012 535xi with sport package, tech, premium, cold weather, sound. Although I've only had it a short time, I've been hugely impressed thus far. There's a lot of power on tap, but at the same time it gets great MPG. The ride is also spectacular, absorbing all but the most obnoxious of road imperfections.

The sport package improves the look and gives you the most adjustable comfortable seats I've ever seen in a car. I love the auto handbrake feature, no need to keep your foot on the brake at a red light. Also love the different driving modes: Eco Pro is just annoying, I can't see why a BMW driver that worried about fuel economy wouldn't just get the 528i. Comfort plus is a bit too soft for a BMW. Comfort is perfect for cruising around town or on the freeway. Pop it into sport and the car sharpens up noticeably making it much more aggressive and fun. Sport plus is probably more for the test track than the commute to the office, since many safety features are disabled in this mode.

The iDrive is still not 100% intuitive and I'd like to see some modernization of some things. But they are going to be refreshing this model in 2016, so if I buy another from 2016 onwards, I'm sure they will have addressed that. Time will tell how the car holds up, but my initial impressions are great.

• SUV