Used 2012 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

My Second
By zct888

2012 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

My first BMW was a 328i which I got new back in 2007. I really liked that car in many ways. This time around I was looking for something bigger and faster that could handle a mid west winter and the crappy roads that such winters leave behind. I looked at various choices and settled on a CPO 2012 535xi with sport package, tech, premium, cold weather, sound. Although I've only had it a short time, I've been hugely impressed thus far. There's a lot of power on tap, but at the same time it gets great MPG. The ride is also spectacular, absorbing all but the most obnoxious of road imperfections.

Favorite Features

The sport package improves the look and gives you the most adjustable comfortable seats I've ever seen in a car. I love the auto handbrake feature, no need to keep your foot on the brake at a red light. Also love the different driving modes: Eco Pro is just annoying, I can't see why a BMW driver that worried about fuel economy wouldn't just get the 528i. Comfort plus is a bit too soft for a BMW. Comfort is perfect for cruising around town or on the freeway. Pop it into sport and the car sharpens up noticeably making it much more aggressive and fun. Sport plus is probably more for the test track than the commute to the office, since many safety features are disabled in this mode.

Suggested Improvements

The iDrive is still not 100% intuitive and I'd like to see some modernization of some things. But they are going to be refreshing this model in 2016, so if I buy another from 2016 onwards, I'm sure they will have addressed that. Time will tell how the car holds up, but my initial impressions are great.

Ultimate Driving Machine, Not Ultimate Warranty
By tkg12

2012 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

My recent dealer experience was good as always. The background experience with BMW Corporate was unacceptable. My 2012 5 Series with EDC emits a crunching, groaning metal-on-metal sound that the dealer did a good job of diagnosing, but BMW would not authorize warranty repair for the reason that it is "characteristic." Exploding airbags that spray shrapnel, deadly ignition system failures, and self-accelerating cars are "characteristic" of other brands, so this does not give me comfort. It seems the ultimate driving machine is not backed up by the ultimate warranty. Since the defect is characteristic, I will find a class-action lawyer, who have their own unfortunate characteristics.

Favorite Features

Diving modes and comfort over long distances.

Suggested Improvements

The EDC suspension problem is I believe an engineering flaw that should be repaired. Take a slow dip over one of those massive speed bumps and you'll think the front wheels are falling off. BMW's response: we've talked to our team and determined that it's "characteristic." Cracking the code, it's a defect they don't know how to fix. I wonder what its ramifications will be over time.

WOW
By suny66

2012 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Not sure what happened to BMW. Car has so much lag when you press gas that Donot know if it will move before the car from behind will hit me at red light when it turn green. It is my BMW no 3. Interior is better but BMW seem to lack lot of other luxury items. There are no indicator lights on mirrors . MIRRORs are small with mimited view. Rear view camera hold view after you set to drive, this didnot happen with my Lexus truck. Honestly I will drive it for some time and if continue like that I will think radical and go for some other luxury car. Fast line it do perform excellent along with nice brakes you rely upon. Will Try winter drive with x drive and post it later.

Suggested Improvements

See above