Used 2012 BMW 5 Series 528i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great car but different from past BMWs
By johny14

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Got a 2012 528 M Sport, traded in my 2002 540i 200k miles later. The 540 was a 4 door sports car and I loved it. Negatives first - this one is a luxury car that tightens up in sport mode to be a great grand touring vehicle, but its not a sports car. Which is fine with me because it is my daily driver. Positives - WAY more comfortable and quiet, spectacular fuel economy (getting 34mpg hwy and 27.5 average). Love the interior (switches all in the same place as my E39) + large NAV screen. The turbo 4 takes a little getting used to coming from a V8 but it really goes if you push the pedal far enough.

Idrive interface best yet for BMW, interior design and fit & finish is awesome. Ability to pick suspension settings (comfort v. sport) is nice. for those complaining about the size and that it doesn't feel like a sports car, you did test drive it first, right? get a 328 or 335 sport. that was my 2nd choice.

body is a little large & wide, wish I could get a 90% scale model. 8 speed transmission has to be left alone, ratios too close to shift manually.

My first BMW
By modestomatt

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have always been attracted to BMW design (with the brief exception of the Bangle years). I was looking for a luxury car but wanted something efficient. I was hoping for a diesel 5 but apparently BMW isn't quite ready so I opted for the 528i as more efficient than anything from Audi or Lexus. I sprang for the premium and technology packages and added the heads up display. I should have taken the heated seats but didn't. The car is a beauty. I've had it one year. I wouldn't call it the ultimate driving machine but it makes an impression and it's reliable w/ strong fuel economy. Kids fit comfortably in the back on road trips. Electronics are disappointing compared to my wife's 2011 Toyota.

- Absolutely beautiful exterior lines! - Highway fuel economy is even better than advertised; I can often top 40mpg! - The car accepts 89 octane instead of having to feed it the premium stuff. Thank you! - Heads up display for speedometer & nav is awesome. - Voice activation works well for phone calls or entering addresses into GPS.

- Smooth out the shuddering engine start/stop - Idling sounds like a little diesel - not cool. - Start the car in whatever mode it was last driven. I don't want to have to change settings every time I start it. - GPS search is weak. My wife's Toyota is much better and google maps on my iPhone is usually more effective.

This New BMW 5 Series Leaves Very Little to be Desired!
By robetross

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought my new 528i back in March. This was my very first luxury car. I was looking for something fuel efficient but loaded with all the luxury options you can get. The fuel efficiency is outstanding for such a large car and I love the engine start/stop feature when waiting at a light. I got the Space Grey Metallic with Dakota Leather, Luxury Seating Pkg, Premium Pkg, Technology Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, and Comfort Access Keyless Entry. The seats are the most comfortable car seats I've ever been in. I test drove the Mercedes E Class Driving feedback is much better than the E Class. The steering wheel was very light on the E Class car, plus there were fewer luxury options available.

I really liked the lights in the door handles that light the ground below you. It really makes the car stand out and it's functional, too. The comfort access key is well worth the extra $1,000. It's so nice not having to pull the key out of my pocket each time I get in and out and start the car. I also enjoyed being able to open the trunk with my foot when my hands are full. It has come in handy a few times. The power folding mirrors. The auto-dimming mirrors are great for dealing with drivers with aftermarket headlights that blind drivers. The LED corona ring daytime running lights really look sharp. The ventilated seats are great in the summer and keep you from sweating.

Put the soft-close doors back as an option for the 528i and 535i. Add LED headlights as an option. Put a better quality glove box in the car. My 96 Accord had a more solid feeling glove box than this car. Overall, it is a great car and has much more luxury than any other car in its class. There are not many other luxury features I could want on this car.

My 3rd BMW in 6 years
By luvinmybmw

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I had a 2007 BMW 530i, a 2009 BMW 328i and now a 2012 BMW 528i. My favorite was the 2007. My second favorite is the 2012 528i. The 3 Series, which was a 2 door coupe, was nice, but way too small. I'm not a big guy...not over weight and i'm only 5-9. The 2007 was really sporty and in my opinion drove like it was a train on rails! The 328i drove the same, but again...too small. The 2012 528i is absolutely beautiful. It looks like a small 7 series. Only problem, is it just doesn't "feel" like a BMW to me. It is not the "ultimate driving machine" I'm used to. However, in sport mode, it feels much better and sportier, but it is bulky like a Lexus (which i have owned). Interior is nice.

The exterior is without a doubt a head turner. I get strangers telling me what a beautiful car it is. I had one guy tell me that I must be rich to get a car like that. I laughed and said, "don't I wish". If I were rich, I would have a Bently and an Astin Martin DB7!! oh, and a house on beach front property with garages to park them in! /wink

Please please leave well enough alone BMW! Stop trying to make your car feel like a Lexus! or Toyota...or whatever...same thing (just teasing you Lexus owners). It is supposed to be a driving machine! Bring the driving aspect back!! What's with the suspension options?? For heavens sake...that is what Lexus does! I like driving a car that feels solid, sporty and responsive. Not floaty, bulky and unsure. Please get rid of the suspension options and go back to what you do best and that is making driving machines. If I wanted a Lexus, Cadillac or Lincoln, I would buy one and save money in the process! Enough said.....

I'm actually amazed
By big_g

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

After driving a '12 A6 for less than a month I wisely traded it in for he 528i. What an incredible car! The technology is awe inspiring, and for being a 2.0 T this care really moves. Plus I am getting over 30 mpg, which is unheard of in a luxury car. The auto shut off feature takes some getting used to, but other than that I can't thing of a single thing i would complain about! The nav system is actually fairly easy once you spend a few minutes playing around with it.

Look, Style, Fuel Economy, Dealer was awesome.

Well my '03 had better wheels without an upgrade. The new stock wheels are a little boring.