Used 2012 BMW 5 Series 528i Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Disatified Owner
By William Porter

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I owe a 2012 BMW 528i. This car has been nothing but trouble since I got it. It breaks down without warning only to find out it can not be towed because the vehicle cannot be put in neutral. The car has to be put on a lift to deactivate the transmission which cannot be down when you are stranded. Dont waste your time with this vehicle. It looks great but not dependable. Not worth the price or inconvience.

5 Major Failures in 50K miles
By Darrel Moening

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I'm the first and current owner of a 5 series BMW. The car has had the following failures - power train, tie rods, turbo charger, engine tune-up, oil filter housing, and coolant system. We've had the car towed twice and have had the car in the dealership a half dozen times for repairs. We've escalated to BMW USA but they have refused to provide any additional assistance. Save yourself the trouble...

Best comfort and handling car IMO
By Brandon

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I test drove a used silver 528i. Owned a 3 series in the past. BMW handling is given and this one was no exception. This 5 series was by far the most comfortable ride with great handling. Perfect balance. Did test drove 550 couple years ago, super power but little to stiff for me.
The car was comfortable, roomy with grest view. Navigation was easy to operate. Everything was great.
The only thing I did not like was the auto stop. I got caught in 5 traffic light within 4 minutes. The car being shut of and starting again to me was very annoying.

Great car but different from past BMWs
By johny14

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Got a 2012 528 M Sport, traded in my 2002 540i 200k miles later.
The 540 was a 4 door sports car and I loved it.
Negatives first - this one is a luxury car that tightens up in sport mode to be a great grand touring vehicle, but its not a sports car.
Which is fine with me because it is my daily driver.
Positives - WAY more comfortable and quiet, spectacular fuel economy (getting 34mpg hwy and 27.5 average).
Love the interior (switches all in the same place as my E39) + large NAV screen.
The turbo 4 takes a little getting used to coming from a V8 but it really goes if you push the pedal far enough.

Idrive interface best yet for BMW, interior design and fit & finish is awesome. Ability to pick suspension settings (comfort v. sport) is nice. for those complaining about the size and that it doesn't feel like a sports car, you did test drive it first, right? get a 328 or 335 sport. that was my 2nd choice.

body is a little large & wide, wish I could get a 90% scale model. 8 speed transmission has to be left alone, ratios too close to shift manually.

My first BMW
By modestomatt

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have always been attracted to BMW design (with the brief exception of the Bangle years). I was looking for a luxury car but wanted something efficient. I was hoping for a diesel 5 but apparently BMW isn't quite ready so I opted for the 528i as more efficient than anything from Audi or Lexus. I sprang for the premium and technology packages and added the heads up display. I should have taken the heated seats but didn't.

The car is a beauty. I've had it one year. I wouldn't call it the ultimate driving machine but it makes an impression and it's reliable w/ strong fuel economy. Kids fit comfortably in the back on road trips. Electronics are disappointing compared to my wife's 2011 Toyota.

- Absolutely beautiful exterior lines! - Highway fuel economy is even better than advertised; I can often top 40mpg! - The car accepts 89 octane instead of having to feed it the premium stuff. Thank you! - Heads up display for speedometer & nav is awesome. - Voice activation works well for phone calls or entering addresses into GPS.

- Smooth out the shuddering engine start/stop - Idling sounds like a little diesel - not cool. - Start the car in whatever mode it was last driven. I don't want to have to change settings every time I start it. - GPS search is weak. My wife's Toyota is much better and google maps on my iPhone is usually more effective.