Used 2012 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Most boring BMW I've ever owned...
By jwjusaf

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Lets just say that I've had the car for 3 weeks and am already looking for another car. I've had 3 BMWs before this one, and none of them were this soul draining and boring. It lacks power, and handles more like a Cadillac than a BMW. The steering it far too soft as well. The X1 that I drove when it was in for a recall was more engaging and exciting to drive. I actually was hoping that the dealer would wreck it or that it would catch on fire to keep me from having to deal with a trade in. The car is almost as boring as my 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid.

The gas mileage is good, and it's a quiet ride.

Go back to BMW roots... "Driving Excitement". The car is so uninspiring to drive that I hate myself for spending so much money on it. If I wanted Mercedes handling, I would have bought one. Less depreciation would be nice. The sticker was ~63K (loaded). The BMW dealership appraises it at 43K trade in now. $20K depreciation already!?!? OOF!

This vehicle is a $60K joke!
By dino29

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

The car drives & performs like it should except for two major faults: The start & stop is very rough & passengers quickly notice it. To shut the vehicle off is a real bummer - Push the off button & the interior stays on - Push it again & cthe vehicle restarts . . . Frustrating to say the least.

Fuel usage & cabin quietness.

Get rid of the malfunctioning stop button & somehow smooth out the engine stopping feature or provide a way to disable it permanently. Buy an MKZ for $20K less & many more features & a V-8, sweet engine.

Beat my expectations!
By akeyes

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I came out of a 2010 BMW 528i Xdrive and was concerned about the new design, new engine etc. Well, I have the care 2 days now and love driving this car! The 4 CYL was my biggest concern and after a few days of highway and street driving, I am totally impressed. How did the Germans figure out a way to increase the HP and Torque, provide much better gas mileage with a smaller engine, GENIUS! The new look of the car is beautiful with striking hood design, the classic kidney grill and a wider stance than my previous car. I purchased the car in Dark Graphite Metallic and black leather interior, a perfectly beautiful combination.

Styling of exterior Comfortable interior Fun to drive with BMW handling and speed Fuel economy Navi

Auto stop/start button is annoying, should have the choice to permanently disable in set up menu Run flats. Go back to standard performance tires and a small spare in the trunk

My first Bimmer
By ssi05

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Handling is exceptional, no issues with run flat tires as reviews suggest. The car handles bumps very well and corners like a charm. Sport mode makes it handle like a true sports sedan. Even at high speeds (100 mph+), driver feels totally in control of the car. Technology: The Navigation software is buggy and hard to work, I prefer to use my phone over car's GPS. The car is not 100% keyless. You would still need to pull the remote out of your pocket each time you need to lock/unlock the car. The 4 cylinder turbo has a lag and takes some time to get going. Downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear, drivers can definitely feel the minor ‘thud’

bluetooth phone, radio, heated front and back seats. My kids love it in winter.

Fix the 4 cylinder turbo lag, add more torque, add a sunglass holder, fix GPS nav. software. Add buttons to the door so drivers can touch to unlock/lock the car without taking the key out.