2012 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Run Flat Tires will Fail
By ptfive on 03/10/14 19:34 PM (PDT)

2012 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

2012 BMW 550, low miles but already 5 run flat tires have failed on me. Sidewalls splitting - effectively destroying tire. The left front tire has been replaced THREE times. Unfortunately BMW does not stock these tires, so when it falls apart your car will be in shop 5-7 days while they order new tire. Motorwerks in Minneapolis does not have any loaner cars when this happens, so consider your BMW a $70,000 bus pass. YOU WILL BE TAKING THE BUS A LOT. Not a fan of run flats - what are you supposed to do when the sidewall splits and you are 1000 miles from home in the middle-of-nowhere? . Give me a spare BMW!!!

Great car but different from past BMWs
By johny14 on 06/11/13 11:01 AM (PDT)

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Got a 2012 528 M Sport, traded in my 2002 540i 200k miles later. The 540 was a 4 door sports car and I loved it. Negatives first - this one is a luxury car that tightens up in sport mode to be a great grand touring vehicle, but its not a sports car. Which is fine with me because it is my daily driver. Positives - WAY more comfortable and quiet, spectacular fuel economy (getting 34mpg hwy and 27.5 average). Love the interior (switches all in the same place as my E39) + large NAV screen. The turbo 4 takes a little getting used to coming from a V8 but it really goes if you push the pedal far enough.

My first BMW
By modestomatt on 05/31/13 15:46 PM (PDT)

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have always been attracted to BMW design (with the brief exception of the Bangle years). I was looking for a luxury car but wanted something efficient. I was hoping for a diesel 5 but apparently BMW isn't quite ready so I opted for the 528i as more efficient than anything from Audi or Lexus. I sprang for the premium and technology packages and added the heads up display. I should have taken the heated seats but didn't. The car is a beauty. I've had it one year. I wouldn't call it the ultimate driving machine but it makes an impression and it's reliable w/ strong fuel economy. Kids fit comfortably in the back on road trips. Electronics are disappointing compared to my wife's 2011 Toyota.

Most boring BMW I've ever owned...
By jwjusaf on 10/17/12 18:49 PM (PDT)

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Lets just say that I've had the car for 3 weeks and am already looking for another car. I've had 3 BMWs before this one, and none of them were this soul draining and boring. It lacks power, and handles more like a Cadillac than a BMW. The steering it far too soft as well. The X1 that I drove when it was in for a recall was more engaging and exciting to drive. I actually was hoping that the dealer would wreck it or that it would catch on fire to keep me from having to deal with a trade in. The car is almost as boring as my 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid.

This vehicle is a $60K joke!
By dino29 on 08/25/12 13:41 PM (PDT)

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

The car drives & performs like it should except for two major faults: The start & stop is very rough & passengers quickly notice it. To shut the vehicle off is a real bummer - Push the off button & the interior stays on - Push it again & cthe vehicle restarts . . . Frustrating to say the least.

This New BMW 5 Series Leaves Very Little to be Desired!
By robetross on 07/12/12 05:39 AM (PDT)

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought my new 528i back in March. This was my very first luxury car. I was looking for something fuel efficient but loaded with all the luxury options you can get. The fuel efficiency is outstanding for such a large car and I love the engine start/stop feature when waiting at a light. I got the Space Grey Metallic with Dakota Leather, Luxury Seating Pkg, Premium Pkg, Technology Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, and Comfort Access Keyless Entry. The seats are the most comfortable car seats I've ever been in. I test drove the Mercedes E Class Driving feedback is much better than the E Class. The steering wheel was very light on the E Class car, plus there were fewer luxury options available.

Love my M Sport 535i
By desertking on 05/26/12 22:55 PM (PDT)

2012 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Don't know why Edmunds have only manual 6-speed option for 535i, but this car with auto sport shifter is very responsive and quick. It feels heavy when you start driving but you can't feel the speed unless you look at your speedometer. I like the comfy feel of this car. I like the damper control that you can choose the mode. I don't know why ppl criticize the interior, to me, this interior is far better than Audi's cheap plastic feel interiors. Overall space is good as well and at this point, i can't say anything about reliability since I just got the car for 2 days. I will update of course in the future.

My 3rd BMW in 6 years
By luvinmybmw on 05/23/12 18:50 PM (PDT)

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I had a 2007 BMW 530i, a 2009 BMW 328i and now a 2012 BMW 528i. My favorite was the 2007. My second favorite is the 2012 528i. The 3 Series, which was a 2 door coupe, was nice, but way too small. I'm not a big guy...not over weight and i'm only 5-9. The 2007 was really sporty and in my opinion drove like it was a train on rails! The 328i drove the same, but again...too small. The 2012 528i is absolutely beautiful. It looks like a small 7 series. Only problem, is it just doesn't "feel" like a BMW to me. It is not the "ultimate driving machine" I'm used to. However, in sport mode, it feels much better and sportier, but it is bulky like a Lexus (which i have owned). Interior is nice.

Beat my expectations!
By akeyes on 04/02/12 07:49 AM (PDT)

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I came out of a 2010 BMW 528i Xdrive and was concerned about the new design, new engine etc. Well, I have the care 2 days now and love driving this car! The 4 CYL was my biggest concern and after a few days of highway and street driving, I am totally impressed. How did the Germans figure out a way to increase the HP and Torque, provide much better gas mileage with a smaller engine, GENIUS! The new look of the car is beautiful with striking hood design, the classic kidney grill and a wider stance than my previous car. I purchased the car in Dark Graphite Metallic and black leather interior, a perfectly beautiful combination.

I'm actually amazed
By big_g on 03/10/12 20:43 PM (PST)

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

After driving a '12 A6 for less than a month I wisely traded it in for he 528i. What an incredible car! The technology is awe inspiring, and for being a 2.0 T this care really moves. Plus I am getting over 30 mpg, which is unheard of in a luxury car. The auto shut off feature takes some getting used to, but other than that I can't thing of a single thing i would complain about! The nav system is actually fairly easy once you spend a few minutes playing around with it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 BMW 5 Series in VA is:

$148 per month*