Used 2012 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

My Second
By zct888

2012 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

My first BMW was a 328i which I got new back in 2007. I really liked that car in many ways. This time around I was looking for something bigger and faster that could handle a mid west winter and the crappy roads that such winters leave behind. I looked at various choices and settled on a CPO 2012 535xi with sport package, tech, premium, cold weather, sound. Although I've only had it a short time, I've been hugely impressed thus far. There's a lot of power on tap, but at the same time it gets great MPG. The ride is also spectacular, absorbing all but the most obnoxious of road imperfections.

The sport package improves the look and gives you the most adjustable comfortable seats I've ever seen in a car. I love the auto handbrake feature, no need to keep your foot on the brake at a red light. Also love the different driving modes: Eco Pro is just annoying, I can't see why a BMW driver that worried about fuel economy wouldn't just get the 528i. Comfort plus is a bit too soft for a BMW. Comfort is perfect for cruising around town or on the freeway. Pop it into sport and the car sharpens up noticeably making it much more aggressive and fun. Sport plus is probably more for the test track than the commute to the office, since many safety features are disabled in this mode.

The iDrive is still not 100% intuitive and I'd like to see some modernization of some things. But they are going to be refreshing this model in 2016, so if I buy another from 2016 onwards, I'm sure they will have addressed that. Time will tell how the car holds up, but my initial impressions are great.

Ultimate Driving Machine, Not Ultimate Warranty
By tkg12

2012 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

My recent dealer experience was good as always. The background experience with BMW Corporate was unacceptable. My 2012 5 Series with EDC emits a crunching, groaning metal-on-metal sound that the dealer did a good job of diagnosing, but BMW would not authorize warranty repair for the reason that it is "characteristic." Exploding airbags that spray shrapnel, deadly ignition system failures, and self-accelerating cars are "characteristic" of other brands, so this does not give me comfort. It seems the ultimate driving machine is not backed up by the ultimate warranty. Since the defect is characteristic, I will find a class-action lawyer, who have their own unfortunate characteristics.

Diving modes and comfort over long distances.

The EDC suspension problem is I believe an engineering flaw that should be repaired. Take a slow dip over one of those massive speed bumps and you'll think the front wheels are falling off. BMW's response: we've talked to our team and determined that it's "characteristic." Cracking the code, it's a defect they don't know how to fix. I wonder what its ramifications will be over time.

Run Flat Tires will Fail
By ptfive

2012 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

2012 BMW 550, low miles but already 5 run flat tires have failed on me. Sidewalls splitting - effectively destroying tire. The left front tire has been replaced THREE times. Unfortunately BMW does not stock these tires, so when it falls apart your car will be in shop 5-7 days while they order new tire. Motorwerks in Minneapolis does not have any loaner cars when this happens, so consider your BMW a $70,000 bus pass. YOU WILL BE TAKING THE BUS A LOT. Not a fan of run flats - what are you supposed to do when the sidewall splits and you are 1000 miles from home in the middle-of-nowhere? . Give me a spare BMW!!!

the twin turbos, and the floor mats are nice

cabin noise; idrive system in general - nav system specifically (steal Honda's design, it works well); the run flat tires - give me old school tubeless and spare; a constant and annoying rattle over by the passenger seat which no one at bmw can figure out; the battery cannot hold a charge; put a spare tire in the trunk!!

Great car but different from past BMWs
By johny14

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Got a 2012 528 M Sport, traded in my 2002 540i 200k miles later. The 540 was a 4 door sports car and I loved it. Negatives first - this one is a luxury car that tightens up in sport mode to be a great grand touring vehicle, but its not a sports car. Which is fine with me because it is my daily driver. Positives - WAY more comfortable and quiet, spectacular fuel economy (getting 34mpg hwy and 27.5 average). Love the interior (switches all in the same place as my E39) + large NAV screen. The turbo 4 takes a little getting used to coming from a V8 but it really goes if you push the pedal far enough.

Idrive interface best yet for BMW, interior design and fit & finish is awesome. Ability to pick suspension settings (comfort v. sport) is nice. for those complaining about the size and that it doesn't feel like a sports car, you did test drive it first, right? get a 328 or 335 sport. that was my 2nd choice.

body is a little large & wide, wish I could get a 90% scale model. 8 speed transmission has to be left alone, ratios too close to shift manually.

My first BMW
By modestomatt

2012 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have always been attracted to BMW design (with the brief exception of the Bangle years). I was looking for a luxury car but wanted something efficient. I was hoping for a diesel 5 but apparently BMW isn't quite ready so I opted for the 528i as more efficient than anything from Audi or Lexus. I sprang for the premium and technology packages and added the heads up display. I should have taken the heated seats but didn't. The car is a beauty. I've had it one year. I wouldn't call it the ultimate driving machine but it makes an impression and it's reliable w/ strong fuel economy. Kids fit comfortably in the back on road trips. Electronics are disappointing compared to my wife's 2011 Toyota.

- Absolutely beautiful exterior lines! - Highway fuel economy is even better than advertised; I can often top 40mpg! - The car accepts 89 octane instead of having to feed it the premium stuff. Thank you! - Heads up display for speedometer & nav is awesome. - Voice activation works well for phone calls or entering addresses into GPS.

- Smooth out the shuddering engine start/stop - Idling sounds like a little diesel - not cool. - Start the car in whatever mode it was last driven. I don't want to have to change settings every time I start it. - GPS search is weak. My wife's Toyota is much better and google maps on my iPhone is usually more effective.