Tires, Tires and More Tires
By sleepy8 on
2011 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)
This was the car I thought I always wanted-500xi with Msport package--what a mistake. This car can not handle a single small road defects without the Goodyear LS2 run flats getting a bubble in the sidewall. I have less than 2500miles and have gone through four tire and two rims. This all wheel drive car was not properly tested to handle the roads in the USA. It could do well on the autobahn, but not here. It should not have been marketed with 19 inch wheels and fragile sidewall run flats--what a mistake! Look elsewhere if you want a car that you can actually drive vs on that just looks good in the driveway.
By dkatl
on 03/22/11 23:46 PM (PDT)

I have the 535i with Michelin run flats and they're excellent. I have the regular sport package--different 19" wheels, but the dimensions might be the same. I've only had my car for 1000 miles, but I've tried the tires in a number of situations, from highway cruising to aggressive driving and been consistently impressed. I drove from Atlanta up to the North Georgia mountains last Sunday, found some areas with no traffic and drove the car hard for about an hour. I was astonished at the capabilities of the car when pushed. Although much of the credit probably goes to the amazingly sophisticated suspension, the tires did their part. Absolutely no squeal, extraordinary grip and no vibration, even with the suspension set to "Sport+." Assuming they'll fit the non-M Sport wheels, you might see if your dealer or BMW will buy you a set of the Michelins, or even spring for them yourself.