buyer beware!
By citroen3 on
2011 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)
I bought a 2011 550i Xdrive in late 2010, within the last six weeks I have had; 4 runflat tires (on 19inch wheels) go bust over fairly minor pot holes. they were 4 unrelated incidents. Cost to replace, just shy of $2000. Last week my car with about 10,500 miles on the clock, broke down on the highway, message 'transmission malfunction'. One tow and 5 days, later I got it back with the rear differential replaced. One day after I got it back from the local BMW dealer, new warning '4 by 4 chassis stabilisation malfunction contact your BMW dealer , do not brake hard' Given that this fully loaded, nearly $70,000 car is completely unreliabe, I am seriouly thinking of getting rid of it.
Suggested Improvements
replace run flats - many drivers are having the same issue (see bimmerfest web site). BMW NA - wake up! you are going to lose a lot of clients if you do not own up to the runflat issue. The person I spoke to at BMW NA, told me initially it was a 'Goodyear issue'. I did not buy a car from Goodyear, I bought it from BMW NA
By notetoalex
on 08/28/11 03:26 AM (PDT)

thanks for the review. i'm looking to get my very first luxury car, and the 5-series was on the top of that list. I need to rethink things now.

By citroen3
on 06/30/11 07:17 AM (PDT)

follow up from yesterdays comment - I now have to get a new Transfer case.....will be at dealer probably till next week.

By magnumforc
on 05/05/12 21:08 PM (PDT)

I had to get rid of my 2011 535i xDrive because of all the electrical problems and the same messages, messages that BMW related to "low voltage" and that I don't drive the vehicle enough. Some of the "won't start if shut off" and "differential failure" warnings came on after 150 mile trips so how could the battery be low. No rafdio or AC or any excessive accessory use either. Those with 2011 vehicles should check out their dash display and note that if it shows "BMW ASSIST" as one of the functions, you have 2010 programming and software. The correct display should be "CONNECTED DRIVE" and is for the 2011 model. (The owners manuals provided for most of the 2011's were for the 2011 model as well...check out the 2011 manual on line!) I believe that was my main problem that my vehicle was shipped with 2010 software and when it required reprogramming the faults never corrected themselves. No more BMW's. Three good ones don't offset a 20K loss on a dismal failure.