2011 BMW 5 Series 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo AWD 8-speed Automatic Consumer Review - BMW Run-Flat Tires, Less Than

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Review

BMW Run-Flat Tires, Less Than Optimal
By teerific on

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Run-flat tires installed on BMW's 2011 5-series vehicles are less than optimal - creating a high level of concern for consumer safety. I purchased my brand new BMW on September 1, 2011. On October 3, 2011, I returned to the dealership for installation of wheel locks. The service tech identified a bubble in the wall of the front passenger tire. I replaced the damaged tire at the cost of $550+ dollars (including labor). During a more recent, unrelated service appointment, (February, 2012), bubbles were identified in both front tires. This would account for the second replacement of the front passenger tire within 4 months and my vehicle has less than 6,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

In an era, which major competitors like, Audi and Lexus are forcefully competing in the area of Quality BMW risks losing many of its customers. At minimum, BMW should initiate a National Recall and look to The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company to accept shared responsibility for the sale of poorly manufactured tires. BMW must quickly replace its poor quality Run-flates with "high quality" performance tires. Finally, reaching out to customers through Service Recovery initiatives would go a long way.