Used 2011 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Bmw 5-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Awesome all around sports sedan
By jamesg

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 3rd v8 5 series. while less sporty than the e39 model, this model more than offsets the reduce road feel with smooth performance. the engine and sport auto transmission work great together - acceleration is effortless at any speed. the dynamic suspension is very good and there is a visible difference between the settings. significantly more luxurious than prior models. the idrive is much more responsive and synchs up quickly when starting the car. emailing directions to the navi saves a lot of time too. still getting used to the active cruise control, but appreciate the collision detection feature. overall a great ride for both driver and passengers.

Favorite Features

engine seat comfort idrive - can customize the whole car m sport look

Suggested Improvements

cup holders are a bit small gas mileage is weak (18 mixed, versus 20 in e60 and 21 in e39)

2011 BMW 535i Automatic, model not listed for review
By batman38

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Have the car a month and all driving has been City. avg. 18 mpg. Car is exceptionally quiet and this car embodies all you would expect from this segment , from outstanding fit and finish to fine interior appointments. Ride and handling are excellent, surprising with the 18" run flats. For 2011 BMW still hasn't fixed the problem with a skittish non-navigation i-drive system as the radio screen keeps changing along with the station. It's as if it's possessed and the dealer still hasn't responded with a fix. The other annoyance is that the car does not come equipped, as most luxury cars do, with the driver's seat moving to its rear position when one leaves the vehicle.

Favorite Features

Power, ride and handling

Suggested Improvements

8 speed automatic is not smooth when rapid acceleration is required. Remove glitches from i-drive. Provide a memory seat and steering wheel that allows for easy egress. The seat should automatically move all the way back to its detente position and the wheel should not only tilt up but telescope back as well.

JUST A GREAT CAR
By mike650

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is my first BMW (not including my conv, which was my toy) and I must say it certainly beats my Benz and alll that preceeded it (Merecedes sinse 1986). Fast, quiet commfortable and a beauty. I have had it only two weeks but I just can't get over it. Before you drop $60M large try this thing, it's amazing.

Favorite Features

The way it's put togeather, quality all the way. They certainly have their joy stick down right, very intuitive.

Suggested Improvements

None or I'm a little early in the process.

Still Happy with it after a month of driving
By michaeljdiesen

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I got my 2011 BMW528i about a month ago and wanted to drive it a while before commenting on it. I purchased it as a replacement to my 1998 BMW528i that I had for 13 years! Now for the review: The interior is luxurious! The iDrive is new for me but after a few weeks of getting used to it, I like it. Why no touch screen though? The stereo is nice but could be a little better. The front seats seem cramped to me, maybe narrow the center console a bit? The automatic transmission seems sluggish until you shift into sport mode. The exterior is flawless. I haven't noticed any problems with the run flat tires but have been warned by many people to expect it.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, 8 speed transmission, map function, Xenon headlights, bluetooth functionality, retracting side mirrors, key fob,

Suggested Improvements

No spare tire, stereo system, run flat tires, touch screen

First Five Series
By eip

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Recently moved up from an 06 330i. Really like the ride and quiet of the new 528 but does not handle as well as 3 series. Excellent highway car and still good in the curves but some of the sportiness is gone as a tradeoff for comfort.

Favorite Features

Interiior ergonomics, mileage, ride and low noise level. Trunk is much roomier than 3 series.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back a bit more of the handling of the 3; Transmission shifter and elect. parking brake took some time to feel comfortable.