Used 2011 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Tires, Tires and More Tires
By sleepy8

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

This was the car I thought I always wanted-500xi with Msport package--what a mistake.
This car can not handle a single small road defects without the Goodyear LS2 run flats getting a bubble in the sidewall.
I have less than 2500miles and have gone through four tire and two rims.
This
all wheel drive car was not properly tested to handle the roads in the USA. It could do well on the autobahn, but not here. It should not have been marketed with 19 inch wheels and fragile sidewall run flats--what a mistake!
Look elsewhere if you want a car that you can actually drive vs on that just looks good in the driveway.

too many problems for 70k car
By samsam3

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

I had many BMW before this F10, I like the style power and the comfort. The car has a very nice technology package and great sound system but it is short of being the ultimate driving machine any more. Since I got this car I had many problems :power steering pulling to the right, wrong amplifier installed, gear shifter stuck ,needed adding oil to the engine, comfort access had its own mind with lights turns
on during day time.
after 3 months I traded the car for Japanese Car which has every thing works perfect.

Hesitation Problems driving me crazy!
By wonmarco

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I would think twice about purchasing this vehicle. I have had a big problem with surging and hesitation at low speeds. The dealer has insisted that it is normal with the adaptive transmission, but I can assure you it is not normal! (Google BMW F10 transmission problems and you will see the problem is widespread). The sad thing is that I really love the rest of the car, but after spending $50,000+, I don't think I should be dealing with this. It really takes the pleasure out of owning the car.

Everything except the low speed / stop and go driving.

Fix the persistant transmission problems.

2011 BMW 528
By windsurfing1

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

My previous BMW ownership included a 1998 528 and a BMW 328 convertible, owning these cars have turned me into a BMW fan.
Then I bought this 2011 528 with reasonable amount of expectation, but it turned out to be a big disappointment.
I only have one complaint about the new BMW, and it is a substantial one.
The new 8 speed transmission has a almost turbo lag kinda delay followed by a surge of power when accelerating in low gears,
probably because it has a adaptive mode trying to learn your driving style, that drive by wire feature alone kills the overall driving experience of a bimmer.

I-Drive, quiet cabin, exterior and interior look

improve the acceleration hesitation and smoothness of the 8 speed transmission at lower speeds.

Best BMW I've owned 550i M-Sport 2011
By 727jbh

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned a 2000 740i, 2004 745Li and a 2007 750Li and this 2011 550i is hands down better than any of those 7's.
The ride, power, options and comfort are all perfect.
The Nappa leather comfort seats are amazing and all the controls are perfectly positioned.
The engine and transmission are smooth and powerful.
I've installed the Dinan software upgrade and get 495 hp and 573 torque and the car is a rocket in Sport +.
This car is worth every penny and the fit and finish of all the materials are top notch.
You will not be disappointed in this car.

Head-up Display, Active Cruise Control, Nappa Leather Seats, Dark Graphite Metallic Paint, M-Sport Package, Black Chrome tail pipes, Navigation Screen is awesomely large and clear and the V-8 Twin Turbo engine.

Alcantara Headliner and Leather Instrument Panel.