Used 2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Tires tires and more wheels
By techman9

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I too thought this was the car I always wanted and blindly bought this long awaited model. at 10k miles 6 rims and 5 tires later I need to bring it back again for 4 more. The ride though great when I first took delivery of the vehicle has been reduced to that of a early 90's truck; unresponsive transmission, steering that has no driver feedback whatsoever. Many of of the electronics
malfunction consistently causing me to turn off the vehicle to reset, navigation system is one of the worse in the industry as well as the audio system. iPhone adaptor overheated my iPhone causing it to have to be replaced.

All this and dimpled paint. Yes dimpled paint in the day and age.

Run from this car

I am sure I will find a favorite feature on my next Audi

Everyone is entitle to making a mistake however mistakes must be rectified. BMW customer service is the worst in the industry in my opinion. Completely unresponsive. I asked for a BMW district rep to contact me and no one did nor would they give me a phone or email address Selling dealer and a different service dealer are still not assisting me.

535i with Automatic transmission
By mann1970

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I just bought black with Venetian beige 535i at Beverly Hills BMW.
I like the performance and handling on this car. I use to have 7 series but with this 5 I don's miss it. I got the sport pkg, premium pkg, convenient pkg and premium pkg2.

i-drive and sport automatic transmission

Seats could be more comfortable.

home link problems
By njoylife

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

i just purchased the new bmw 5 328i it a great car. its a show stopper this is my second bmw in three years. but this is the hardest car to program the homelink pls tell me why.ive played with this. trying to program for 4hrs please tell me what im doing wrong

Quick, nimble, refined and GREAT highway mileage
By tommymight

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I traded in my tired gas hog 2009 Tribeca for a 535 x drive all wheel automatic. I have put 1500 miles on the 535 in three weeks and it is a true BMW. Quiet, smooth, solid acceleration and rock solid handling. The iDrive still has about 300 functions I have yet to figure out and while it is better than the older iDrive systems it's still recommended ONLY for the truly computer literate. I am amazed by the mileage. 33 mpg on the highway is common so far. I do worry about the "run flat" tires and am thinking about buying a spare tire for long trips. 50 miles on a flat run flat will still screw over a trip quick.

The Bluetooth cell phone hookup is awesome. The car uploads your cell phone contacts and the voice recognition is good. It does make some weird pronunciations. Judi is Judd-i but hey, it's German. The passing power of this car is great. It's like a 750 cc crotch rocket at 70 mph. It spools up to 85 mph in about 1.5 seconds and passing is not an issue. The iDrive owners manual is a great idea.

I still want a spare tire for long trips. The ambient outoor temperature vanishes when you run the navigation system. The iDrive is better but still needs work You cannot see the navigation button on the iDrive and have to know where it is from experience. The light for the rain sensing wipers is not visible on the stalk - put it elsewhere.

Lots of Smiles - M Sport Package
By chasman9

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Car is very fast (have no idea why anyone would want the V8).
Had a 2009 535i before this and it is every bit as quick.
Handling is excellent, but as reviewers have stated, steering gives your less feel of the road.
19" rims are nice, but now no spare.
Cup holders with 6-Spd Manual are a joke.
Totally non-functional and cups (any size) interfere with shifting and IDrive.
German engineering at it's worst.
Gray Traffic Info screen
is very hard to read.
Look, inside and out is terrific (really like interior lighting at night).
Also, and this is new, the sound this car makes under hard acceleration is shear music.
Wow.
Zero problems so far at 2500 miles.
It's a keeper.

- 6-Spd Manual Transmission / Clutch is the absolute best in any car that I have ever diven - Lighting (Interior and Exterior) is very nice - Controls layout, feel and function is excellent - The way they tuned the exhaust is great

No spare? Ya, like 19" Run Flats are sold on every corner. No cable with Ipod option. Are you kidding? Did not oder Convinience Package, but still no slot for Key (I don't care for this) Traffic info was easier to get and clearer in old model - gray screen stinks Cup holders, never a strong point with BMW have hit a new low - do they not drink Coffee in Germany? No Tool Kit or Medical Kit anymore. All above are hard to believe in a car that costs this much.